Next steps: Etiquette question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel (YA) is releasing with a small press next spring. I have several other completed novels in several genres. I'd like to query agents with my latest, more commercial, adult novel. What's my obligation to my current publisher? Should I inform them? The contract is for this novel only, but there are stipulations about when and what types of novels I can publish after this one comes out.

Thoughts?

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I know Koontz has run ito this problem and writes under a number of different names for that reason.

I believe the problem is related to the number of books he could write within a given time period, if I remember corretly.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I know Koontz has run ito this problem and writes under a number of different names for that reason.

I believe the problem is related to the number of books he could write within a given time period, if I remember corretly.

I don't think I want to use a pen name. The contract stipulation about type is more concerned with publishing a similar book (another YA with same demographic) within a year or two. They believe this will affect the sales of this book.

Only one of my completed novels is similar enough to compete with this one, and it's not YA.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why you can't pursue an agent with the new novel, in any case. As for pursuing a publisher, you'll want to be sure that selling the new novel won't violate your contract terms. It doesn't sound like it will, but why not ask the publisher?

I don't know. By the time you get an agent, and the agent sells the new book, and the new book is published, that two year noncompetition period is likely to have run out. ;)

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel (YA) is releasing with a small press next spring. I have several other completed novels in several genres. I'd like to query agents with my latest, more commercial, adult novel. What's my obligation to my current publisher? Should I inform them? The contract is for this novel only, but there are stipulations about when and what types of novels I can publish after this one comes out.

Thoughts?

If the contract is for one novel and there is no first refusal clause then you can sub to other publishers and agents.

However, if you get an interested party then you will need to talk it through with them with regards to the constraints of your current contract.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You mention that your contract has some stipulations. You need to abide by exactly what the contract says about subsequent novels, or negotiate with the publisher. It might pay to get an impartial opinion as to whether your other books might be considered YA?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If the contract is for one novel and there is no first refusal clause then you can sub to other publishers and agents.

However, if you get an interested party then you will need to talk it through with them with regards to the constraints of your current contract.

This is what I'm figuring. Querying agents doesn't mean anything unless the search is successful. :)

I would inform the publisher of my current novel at that time.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I would think as long as it doesn't go against any competitive clauses you have, you should be okay. I mean, some contacts seem to have clauses stating that you won't pursue publishing (self or with another publisher) that is in the same genre you are using with them. For example, if I write epic fantasy with Tor, I couldn't go out and sell epic fantasy to another publisher or self-publish. I might be able to write YA fantasy, or science-fiction or romance.

Maybe it's a question for the agent section? I'd still be interested in knowing the formal answer myself.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
In this case, I'd say you have only two options.

1. The first and easiest is to call the publisher and ask them. The publisher wrote the contract, and and editor, or the legal department, will answer specific question you have about next novels. Every publisher I've called has been extremely helpful in clearing up anything I was unsure of.

2. If you don't like the answers you get there, have a literary attorney look at the contract. You don't want to get this one wrong.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't think I want to use a pen name. The contract stipulation about type is more concerned with publishing a similar book (another YA with same demographic) within a year or two. They believe this will affect the sales of this book.

Only one of my completed novels is similar enough to compete with this one, and it's not YA.

It will affect it positively. Readers read your new book and look for a backlist. I don't get this stipulation? But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.