Are most writers introverts?

To be introverted or not to be...that is the question.

• I consider myself introverted.

Votes: 109 68.6%
  • I consider myself extroverted.

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • I consider myself ambiverted...or something else--here, I'll post about it.

Votes: 30 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I do a search on introverts and marketing, at least one online presence states that "most writers are introverted." Is this true? How many of you would consider yourselves introverted?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Writers are as diverse a group as any, I think. That said, I'm an introvert, in the sense that I'm drained rather than energized by social gatherings and need time alone to recharge my batteries.

I'm not as painfully shy as I was when I was a child and teen, and most people wouldn't know I'm still quite shy because I've learned some extroverted behaviour in social situations to cope with my shyness.

I know a lot of writers on this very board, however, who are definitely extroverts.

_Jinx_

Registered
Reaction score
I am a bit introverted but I dont think all writers are :)

Icedevimon

Queen of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.palaceofroleplay.sp-website.net
I suffered a lot of bullying as a kid, so early on I became shy and introverted. I got over my shyness thanks to college and many presentations XD but I'm still pretty introverted. The reason I love forums so much, for instance, is because I get that "social interaction" without actually having to look someone in the eye and all that jazz. I find stuff like this more fun and engaging than going out somewhere and doing something.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I suffered a lot of bullying as a kid, so early on I became shy and introverted. I got over my shyness ...

I never did.

I don't attend social gatherings because I don't like leaving my house... and even if I did (because I have) why should I?

People taught me to not like people.

So, yes,
extremely introverted.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
I love people, they taste delicious.

Paté, anyone?

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
I'm generally an introvert in that I need alone time to recharge and don't like having to be constantly "on." That said, I still really enjoy the company of people and will go out a lot. Still a little nervous around strangers, but I can hold my own and enjoy myself.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Total introvert. The only way I interact with others is at work or because I have to. And I don't like it. I act "normal" basically as a defense, so people leave me alone other times. I am shy, though. I'm the "I talk so quietly you can barely hear me" type.

And I agree with Icedevimon; I totally think that being on here is more fun. I just feel so trapped in social situations. I keep on looking for someone to save me. lol

TMI, I know. Sorry!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an introvert in that I need solitude to recharge. However, I enjoy people in small doses and act extroverted when I need to.

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
I'm an extrovert. Socializing totally energizes me.

That said, I do get nervous when meeting new people, and right before social gatherings, I always feel a stab of anxiety that it will be awkward or that I'll act stupid. Though once things get going, I'm happy as a clam.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
I can count my close friends on my hands (not fingers, hands). I'd like to expand my circle but that'd require meeting people. Ick. The internet is less stressful.

steamforged

Forging ever westward
Registered
Reaction score
Writers are as diverse a group as any, I think. That said, I'm an introvert, in the sense that I'm drained rather than energized by social gatherings and need time alone to recharge my batteries.

That describes perfectly why I consider myself an introvert. My friends don't think of me as an introvert, though; I went with the ambivert option as a nod to external perceptions. I find people endlessly fascinating and am completely comfortable striking up small talk with store clerks and strangers I'm in line with. When that's done, at the end of the day, I want nothing more than to disappear into a book/computer/good piece of music.

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
werdpressed.wordpress.com
That describes perfectly why I consider myself an introvert. My friends don't think of me as an introvert, though; I went with the ambivert option as a nod to external perceptions. I find people endlessly fascinating and am completely comfortable striking up small talk with store clerks and strangers I'm in line with. When that's done, at the end of the day, I want nothing more than to disappear into a book/computer/good piece of music.

I probably identify with this the most. I think I'm naturally inclined towards being an introvert, but if I give in to that side of myself for too long I get depressed, so getting out there and out of my comfort zone every once in a while keeps me feeling like I've earned my alone time :)

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Introvert, but I put on a show when I'm around people, so most people don't know that I really hate hanging out with them. I have good friends, but I'd prefer our contact to be via email. I'm so introverted I don't even want to spend time with my family - and I like my family - I just don't want to see them.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Introvert, but can be an extrovert when needed.

That doesn't quite fit ambi-vert, though I went with that option. :)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Definitely an extrovert.

I write because it's easier to tell my stories to larger bunches of people that way than having to track them all down and make them stop to listen. *grin*

Course, I've also been an actor, a musician, and play sports. Being in front of crowds is where it's at.

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a proud extrosexual.

I love being with friends, telling jokes. I think it's great for a writer to know how to connect with people away from the computer.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very much an introvert, but over the years I've gotten pretty good at faking otherwise. I was involved in theater and dance for most of my school years, so as long as I either 1) had a script or 2) was doing a non-verbal performance then I did great in front of crowds. Working as a cashier has helped me a lot as well, though I'm still quite reserved. Being friendly is never a struggle, but opening up and talking about something meaningful to a stranger? no wai

Of course, I kind of lose either way. Small talk is pointless and aggravating to me, but it takes me a long time to feel comfortable talking about anything deeper. Forums are such a good fit for me. I can avoid slogging through the ice breaker phase and go straight to the fun stuff. :)

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Definitely an extrovert.

I write because it's easier to tell my stories to larger bunches of people that way than having to track them all down and make them stop to listen. *grin*

Course, I've also been an actor, a musician, and play sports. Being in front of crowds is where it's at.

Yep, this is me too! I love to be the center of attention.

At least this is how I have been most of my life, I'm currently in an introverted "phase"...but I've been a writer in each phase.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of writers have suffered some kind of emotional pain that has drove them to both introversion and writing itself. Of course, there are a great number of exceptions, I would expect, but in my experience with myself and writers I have known, we're big on alone-time.

Personally speaking, I've always had a lot of trust issues and have had to deal with shyness for most of my life. I'm trying to be better about that and come out of my shell a little bit lately, though. It's been alright, but as somebody on the thread said before, social gatherings are very draining for me. I'm definitely a bit of a homebody and prefer a night on the couch to a night out on the town.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
A predominant characteristic of introversion (past the obvious "people make me tired" thing) is having a rich internal world. Makes sense that it would translate to writing, or other relatively solitary creative things.

Anyway, yeah, I'm an introvert. I'm not crazy-introverted, but I definitely have to charge my batteries before I go be social.

Saavedra

a mean mother hubbard.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rubiemagazine.com
Depends on the day. I think writers (or other creative folks) in general get pegged as introverted because they don't have a problem spending time alone -- working. But each of us has to have some slight inclination toward extraversion to write believable characters, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.