• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TriadaUS Literary Agency

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
(and I'm pretty sure the record is one - though it's usually for spammers.)

That isn't the quote I wanted, but I just wanted to offer you and anyone else to follow me to Take it Outside because I really want to rip apart your red comments there.

All in good metaphysical sport.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, members can't start threads in TIO. If you'd like to discuss agents in general, there's the Ask the Agent forum; although I suggest reading through the forum first to get a feel for how agents work.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
That isn't the quote I wanted, but I just wanted to offer you and anyone else to follow me to Take it Outside because I really want to rip apart your red comments there.

Naaahhh, you really, really don't wanna do anything like that.

And, btw, speaking as a soccer coach, Dr. Stender's got more important things to do than agenting, anyway. He's one of the best coaches I've had the pleasure of watching work...
20071118wp_sewickly_330.jpg

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Finally, correct me if I am wrong, but agents are salespeople who make money off others' products (Kind of like another local boy, Bill Mays) and who knows I may be brilliant and could have been a cash cow.

Since you brought up my favrite home-boy Billy, I'll use him as an example. Billy started from the bottom up and learned "the rules of the game" and worked on perfecting his own style and skills which helped propel him to where he'd gotten.

You can't just send a chit-chatty email to an agent and expect them to judge your skills as a writer of *insert your genre here* from links to short stories or blogs or whatever. One killer project is what's going to get their attention unless you're established and have a strong selling backlist in lieu of a new project proposal.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com

Ok, I get it. This wasn't really about learning about how the industry works, so my bad for trying to educate. This is another one of those "I want it done my way, and I'll bitch and moan about anyone who dares to defy my wishes." I believe you'll find that those who have their hands on the checkbooks tend to define the rules.aYou can stamp your little feet and have a tantrum, but it won't change a thing about how the industry works. Good luck with that.

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Ok- not sure what to think about this one...

Sent query 7:55am, received "r" at 7:57am. Is that enough time to even read the query? (considering the time it took to get to him from my box to his and then his response to get back to me? all in less than 2 minutes?)

Wow. Speechless this morning.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Sure it's enough time -- saw your name, said, "Oh no, not that one," and hit the reply button.... ;)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Ok- not sure what to think about this one...

Sent query 7:55am, received "r" at 7:57am. Is that enough time to even read the query? (considering the time it took to get to him from my box to his and then his response to get back to me? all in less than 2 minutes?)

Wow. Speechless this morning.

That's impressive. :tongue Could be an instant rejection - genre he doesn't represent, spectacularly huge or tiny wordcount, tired of inspirational stories about dancing cabbages, etc. Or your query came in while he was clearing out his inbox?

Phantom Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Traven- are you trying to say something about my name? ;) Dang so much for witness protection.

Para how did you know I write about inspirational dancing cabbages? (kidding, of course)...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Inspirational dancing cabbages are the new vampires. :tongue

Phantom Writer

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome news- I'll be on the NYC Bestsller list soon. ;) Viva La Cabbage'

Phantom Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Ooohhh zombie's.... ;) Now we are talking. Sounds like a love story. See? Dr. Stender doesn't realize what he is missing.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Dr. Uwe today and received a rejection 10 minutes later.
Ouch.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Did something happen that I don't know about? Uwe is usually so good about answering queries within a couple of weeks. I queried Feb. 5th & nudged Feb 22nd. Nothing.

Even if he's not interested in my women's fiction, he was so helpful when I queried Bad Ice, I'm rather concerned.

Tri? He was your agent, right? PM me if you have any insight.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Okay, from what I've been able to gather, Uwe might be on a promo tour in Hollywood with one of his clients. He also flies to Germany at times, because he has family and associates there. Those are the times I do remember that he was temporarily unavailable.

I would just sit tight. He won't be MIA for long.

Tri

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
Just until the 15th. Got an auto-reply saying he would be out of town until the 14th and to re-send on the 15th.

Apparently he's checking e-mails from wherever he is - I got a very short but personal rejection letter this morning.