• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

D4EO Literary Agency (formerly D4EO Literary Partners) (Robert Diforio)

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Makes me feel much better. I'll keep you guys posted. I don't know what I'd do without my friends at AW! =)

God bless you all!

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Instant reply to my query -- asked for full ms by email -- in one day "took it upon myself to send it to _______, Editor at ______ Publisher. After publisher rejected it, he said he had too much on his plate to represent me. Go figure.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Well, really, they ARE reliable. In the sense that you could set your watch by them taking in and spitting out unknowing authors...

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
You're kidding, right? Publish America? They are Strongly Not Recommended on P&E, by the way.

I think Cookie is referring to the agency, not the publisher. And with no other information, it's seems likely that the agent couldn't place the book, or didn't want to rep it, so the author took it to PA.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Instant reply to my query -- asked for full ms by email -- in one day "took it upon myself to send it to _______, Editor at ______ Publisher. After publisher rejected it, he said he had too much on his plate to represent me. Go figure.

I've heard that he does that and that is why I would not query him. This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but if he is showing it around without actually signing you, isn't he "using up" your chance with that editor? Can the next agent (who might actually sign you and be with you for the long haul) still pitch to that editor? I want an agent who will commit to representing me BEFORE going to editors on my behalf.

I would be interested in other people's opinions on this.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think Cookie is referring to the agency, not the publisher. And with no other information, it's seems likely that the agent couldn't place the book, or didn't want to rep it, so the author took it to PA.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it went, yeah.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that he does that and that is why I would not query him. This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but if he is showing it around without actually signing you, isn't he "using up" your chance with that editor? Can the next agent (who might actually sign you and be with you for the long haul) still pitch to that editor? I want an agent who will commit to representing me BEFORE going to editors on my behalf.

I would be interested in other people's opinions on this.

If he pitched it to an editor, he probably knows that editor and had reason to believe it was a good fit. If it wasn't a fit, then it wouldn't fare any better if it came from an agent the editor didn't know. I don't have a problem with this at all.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
In my opinion, an agent should never show your manuscript to a publisher if you have not signed with him. It's bad business for the agent, and bad for the writer.

Personally, I'd contact the editor (email), ask if the agent actually queried the manuscript and mention in the email that the agent did not have permission to be querying the manuscript and that you are not signed with that agent.

If an agent places a call and asks if a publisher is interested in a book about (short synopsis) that's one thing -- testing the market it understandable though I'd think editors would become quickly annoyed -- but sending in a manuscript without permission is very unscrupulous in my opinion.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, an agent should never show your manuscript to a publisher if you have not signed with him. It's bad business for the agent, and bad for the writer.

A few agents don't use a contract, but Diforio isn't one of them. Still, what if he'd asked first? What if he called and said, hey, I'm kind of booked up, but I have one editor in mind where this might be a good match. What if I shoot it over to him? Would you have bitten your tongue to keep from screaming yes, my God YES! Or would you have said, no thanks, I'll keep looking?

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
If they asked, I'd probably say OK, but if they didn't I would be really put off by the behavior. I don't like the idea of someone acting on my behalf without my permission. It just feels wrong to me.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
This is all very interesting guys. I guess I'm neutraul on this one. I guess it could be good or bad. But isn't that how it goes with any agent? I do agree they should have let you know first, Don. No one should ever submit without you knowing it.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
A few agents don't use a contract, but Diforio isn't one of them. Still, what if he'd asked first? What if he called and said, hey, I'm kind of booked up, but I have one editor in mind where this might be a good match. What if I shoot it over to him? Would you have bitten your tongue to keep from screaming yes, my God YES! Or would you have said, no thanks, I'll keep looking?

It really doesn't matter what I would say given that hypothetical situation. It doesn't appear he asked, and an agent shouldn't submit scripts for authors he doesn't represent without their knowledge. I, for one, wouldn't submit anything to this agent knowing that I don't know who else he's going to be sending it out to.

If one person wouldn't want their script to go out to editors without their knowledge/permission then that it one person too many.

As for me, it would depend on the editor, the manuscript, and the agents credentials. Personally, I'd much prefer an agent that is taking me on as a client and not my manuscript on as a short project.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I don't mind that he didn't ask. I thought it stange he didn't try another. Oh. he did offer to represent it if I sold it abroad--I had mentioned to him it was being handled by an agency in a foreign country I'd sent it to.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be appalled if an agent who had a full sent it to an editor without speaking to me about it. Imagine the conversations you'd need to have if another agent then offered you representation.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, before I signed with my agent, she told me that she mentioned my novel to an editor she knows well, and does a lot of business with. But she didn't SEND the editor my ms.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info guys. Wow . . . that's eerie about that book in your signature James. Wow.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
I figured it didn't have anything to do with the thread . . .but still - wow. I'm going to go check it out. That is just unreal.