• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

D4EO Literary Agency (formerly D4EO Literary Partners) (Robert Diforio)

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
EQ Mandy Hubbard 23/4/13
Request for full 3/5/13

Happy camper! :)

trinity

Registered
Reaction score
EQ 3/7
Full request 3/20.

And I agree querytracker is great resource.

artemis

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Mandy Hubbard on 6/25, got a rejection email 2 days later. It was a "just not a right fit for me" R, which was actually very nice.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I guess Mandy Hubbard's Open Call has been known for a bit, but it just got on my radar today.

I was thinking about it, but my natural wariness has kicked in. The Call post doesn't really specify the details, so I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence. In cases like this (if it's typical), who would normally own the copyright? How does joint copyright work if the other holder is your own agent?

*Is confused*

(And my wariness isn't of Mandy Hubbard... more just not sure the situation is a good fit for me right now.)

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I guess Mandy Hubbard's Open Call has been known for a bit, but it just got on my radar today.

I was thinking about it, but my natural wariness has kicked in. The Call post doesn't really specify the details, so I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence. In cases like this (if it's typical), who would normally own the copyright? How does joint copyright work if the other holder is your own agent?

*Is confused*

(And my wariness isn't of Mandy Hubbard... more just not sure the situation is a good fit for me right now.)

Hi Heza,

Generally in a full blown write for hire or packager set-up, the packager owns the copyright/intellectual property.

That said, this is more like Packager Lite, a hybrid of my usual operating procedure as an agent blended with some elements of what a packager does. I'll be working closely with an author to develop the project, but my hope is to find the right writer who really intends to run with the concept/character/outline and make it their own. There will be a lot of back and forth and editing as the project develops.

My clients can vouch that I often assist them "from the ground up" with their own projects, from idea stage to submission ready and everything in between. This will be just a beefed up version of that, in which I start with the idea and find the client.

I do not intend to own the intellectual property on these projects. It is possible at some point down the road that this set-up may evolve and more closely resemble a standard packaging arm (and that would mean owning the IP) like some other lit agencies have, but I'll be quite up front about that.

I certainly realize any time a publisher or agent does anything out side of the normal status quo, folks will have questions. So if anyone does, feel free to ask.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question!

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick update for you lovely people.
Pam Van Hylckama Vlieg moved to D4EO recently. I happen to know her assistant (and I presume he's moving agencies with her) and from what I've heard she's a very capable agent with varied MG to NA tastes. :)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
A quick note: Kristin Vincent is no longer an agent at D4EO.

F.L.N, do you know if she switched agencies or quit agenting? She was one of the first agents to provide detailed feedback on my work and really give me the time of day, and I still think of her fondly.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
This is the email she sent to me:
Thank you for reaching out. Yes, I have left agenting. I'm sure other sites will update with that information soon.

All Best,
Kristin

It sounds like she is leaving but maybe she will change her mind at some point in the future.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for looking into that, F.L.N.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm asking because Pam Howell caught my eye. She started a bit of Twitter kerfuffle last year with an ill-advised #MSWL request for stories framed around a genocide...but her recent social media posts, requests, etc. have made her seem like an interesting agent.

Has anyone here worked with her recently?

(Update): Yes, I am aware that she's been on AW off and on since 2010, the same year I started.

Last edited:

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm asking because Pam Howell caught my eye. She started a bit of Twitter kerfuffle last year with an ill-advised #MSWL request for stories framed around a genocide...but her recent social media posts, requests, etc. have made her seem like an interesting agent.

Has anyone here worked with her recently?

(Update): Yes, I am aware that she's been on AW off and on since 2010, the same year I started.
I haven't worked with her. But I contacted her recently with an #ownvoices work (one of her #MSWL posts). It wasn't right for her, but she recommended her boss and told me I could use her name as referral.

It was super nice of her. She's got my vote!

Last edited:

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
I sent Quressa an #ownvoices query and got a same day full request on 2/27. It's really similar to Spells of Blood and Kin which she acquired and she seems really cool, capable and knowledgable. Now to wait!

tamir

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody worked with/even heard of Jessie Devine? He lists himself as an Assistant Agent on all his social media and he participates in pitchwars and stuff, but he's not mentioned on the website at all, nor in any of D4EO's social media/ect. The last agent welcomed (and website listed) by D4EO is Quressa. I've come across a few people (after a LOT of digging) who said he signed them but there's barely any info on that either.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
No personal info, but from the MSWL photo, it looks like he might be a she.

tamir

Registered
Reaction score
He's stated on all his social media that he uses he/him pronouns, so that's what I'm going with.

Last edited: