Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I really like using Twitter and my blog for book promo, but I have to say I'm underwhelmed by Facebook. I feel FB is great for communicating with people I know in real life, but that's about it. Am I missing something? I'm seriously thinking of deleting my pen name's FB account because I don't enjoy using it for book stuff.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To use it for communicating with readers and/or peers you need to work out how to get networked with those groups. I know some authors have extensive friend-networks with their fans and so can mobilize them very quickly to buy new books, enter contests etc.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I'm still working on building my FB fan page. FB doesn't really list by categories, so you can only proceed through who you already know somehow, and hope it expands from there. The best way to do that is active participation on other pages.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Face Book has become a dim stilted wasteland of book promotion. Self publishing is fine by me, but the promotional assault is too much. People are a little overwhelmed

Personally, I don't think I would have sold half the books I did without it, but I don't promote there. I talk about what stages my books are going through and people have become interested because of that

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
And IMHO it is a good idea to have a separate page for this, not use your friends/family account.

Yep, I have that already. One account for the real me, one account for the imaginary writer me. :D

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a fan page set up. It's pretty sad, actually because there are only about 20 people on it. :(

Don't feel too bad. I have a page for my fabric art and can't seem to get more than 5 people interested, so you can at least claim to be doing better with your endeavour than I can.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Another thought on this... some bloggers integrate with faceook and twitter (and I imagine G+ by now...). What this means (at least on Live Journal) is that when you post a non-friends locked post it will (unless you tell it otherwise) post a link to Twitter with the title of the blog post and also post the text of the blog post as a Note in facebook. So, by enabling this option, you notify any of your facebook or twitter followers about it as well.

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
Go to other authors FB page. Mine is listed below. Go to my friends and filter by interest and type in the genre of books you write, or similar authors. You'll then find my friends who like those kinds of books. Send them friend request and build your fans that way. Best of luck.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/mmurfy68http://www.facebook.com/#!/mmurfy86

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
The thing that puts me off FB every time I go back is the compulsory two-way friending. On Twitter people can follow me without my having to follow them back or give them access to the information that I want to share with my real-life friends. Google Plus is better in this respect, but still too new to be very useful...

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Anne, that's how I feel too. The forced reciprocal nature of FB feels so unnatural. Plus, I hate the user interface. I simply don't like FB that much.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
FB would not be so bad a user interface if they'd left it well alone and not changed it so many times... it used to be a good, stable site now it is ropy as hell because of all the features they added...

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Still figuring it out myself. Right now I'm trying to get the folks who are interested in me as a writer to "like" the writer page, so that the rest of my friends and family don't have to put up with all the writer stuff. Slow going.

Status
Not open for further replies.