Status
Not open for further replies.

BillWobbleSword

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevenowad.com
Hola,

First-time poster, long-time lurker. I've published several books traditionally and I own the e-rights to them. Rather than have my publisher do the e-publishing, I'm going to do it myself. My question is this:

1) Can I e-publish the books using the paperback covers, or does that cover art (and the cover itself) legally belong to the publisher?

I have two kinds of books, contractually speaking: the publisher continues to hold the traditional (non-e-book) rights on some of the books, but the rights on some other books have all expired and reverted to me.

So do I have to come up with new covers for the e-books?

If any of you have any experience with this, I would be grateful for your pearls of wisdom.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I suggest you ask your publisher for a quote on licensing the cover they did. The worst that can happen is that they won't do it; next worst is that you can't afford it. But it won't hurt to ask.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You also have to check your contract with your publisher: I've seen a few contracts which don't grant the author copyright over the edited versions of their books, which means that you might not be able to use the edits your publishers helped you with.

BillWobbleSword

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevenowad.com
Well, I am chagrined.

Old Hack: thanks. Luckily, there's no such problem in that regard. (And after looking at your profile photo, might I suggest you curb your caffeine intake?).

Others: I suspected as much. For reasons that are too boring to go into, I won't be asking the publisher for the cover rights. I'm going to look at it as an opportunity to come up with some wizz-bang cover stuff.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.