• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ENC Press / New Standards Publishing Group

Vincenzo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone have any experience with ENC Press? http://www.encpress.com/

This seems to be an independent, boutique press and pretty much a one-person -- Olga Gardner Glavin -- operation. I've heard her speak (on-line) about her philosophy. She dismisses brick & mortar bookstores and big, impersonal publishing houses. That's okay, but is she successful in getting an unknown author's (that's me) book out there?

Thanks!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I searched ENC's website (which was hard for me, because of all the eye-rolling I was doing), and couldn't find any distribution information or ordering info for booksellers. I found some ENC books on Amazon, but all the listings seem to have been posted by used book sellers. My guess is that this publisher has neither a distributor nor a wholesaler.

Disparage brick-and-mortar bookstores as you will, you need them if you want volume sales. A lot of books are sold online, but even more are sold offline. Authors with a publisher that does not attempt to get physical bookstore distribution can probably count on small sales. Authors with a publisher that doesn't even list its books with online vendors can probably expect miniscule sales, beyond those they make themselves.

- Victoria

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I searched ENC's website (which was hard for me, because of all the eye-rolling I was doing), and couldn't find any distribution information or ordering info for booksellers.

- Victoria

My bold.

Sorry, I know I'm not adding anything to the conversation but I had to highlight that delicious little plum from Victoria, which made me splurt my morning cup of tea all over my monitor.

As you were.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, but I'm getting a sense that more writers feel that they have to participate in promotion.

However, I'll still stick by what I've always said: All that promotion effort isn't likely to do a bit of good if people can't conveniently buy your book. If your publisher isn't backing you up, you're just spinning your wheels.

Publishers ought to be passionate about the books they produce. They should want to share that passion by working to get their books into the hands of as many readers as possible. Not coincidentally, that's how books get sold and they - and you - make money.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
From ENC's About page.
ENC Press is the intelligent alternative to the crassness of mainstream distribution and remaindering.

Translation: We don't have distribution.

We use 21st-century, cutting-edge production technology

Translation: POD

nor do we pay mainstream online booksellers a king’s ransom to add our titles to their vast databases,

Translation: We can't afford ISBNs so don't look for your book on Amazon, or anywhere else. Your local bookstore probably can't even special-order them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding anything published after '09. Facebook and Twitter are active, tho'.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Publishing has resumed and, indeed, none of their recent books are on Amazon. Is currently closed to submissions, but happily offers consultation to self-publishers.