Everything's happening too fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know what? I totally do this too. I blitz through, riding the high of the story, and then when I re-read it, I realize the whole thing lurches around like Frankenstein on a crack bender.

So then I go back in and add scenery descriptions and depict my character's emotions, because those are the things I always forget in the first draft. And description acts like a throttle to slow down the pace of the story.

What's on the page can be fixed. Have faith in yourself; you can make it work. :)

hvxjim

Registered
Reaction score
OP, I don't have any other advice to add to the excellent advice that's already been given.

I just wanted to say I think you are in a better position than having too many words and having to cut a lot out.

Perhaps you're novel is short because you are so good at writing plots and focus on them predominately?

And it may be these plots that create short first drafts that are your key to being a successful writer.

Don't throw it away. Take others advice and just add to it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I've just started editing my latest manuscript, and one thing I've noticed is that it feels rushed. Obviously when I was writing I wasn't trying to rush it. But as I read it, everything just seems to happen way too fast.

It feels rushed because you've probably left a lot out, such as sufficient conflict and deep character development. Maybe subplots. What you've written is a skeleton of a story; now you need to go back and put flesh on it.

SaveitForaRainyDay

Registered
Reaction score
What genre and age category?

If it's adult fiction of any kind, you're usually safe as long as you stay under 100,000 (fantasy and science fiction can go a bit longer).

If it's YA, that's toward the upper end of the sweet spot.

Only in MG would I say the story is too long. Some MG fantasies run 80,000 words, but those are more the exceptions than the rule.

I wouldn't worry so much about adding a bit to it. You don't have to slow down the entire book, just the sections where it feels rushed.

It's a YA :) I have added a bit to it but I'm also planning on cutting things out. So I hope it works out in the end.

Like others have mentioned... Beta readers are the best method.

I've had 30 beta readers and it was awesome feedback. Not to mention, one requested a Manga version, which will have a slightly altered story line. So Beta readers are an awesome route to take.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to do that once I get over the embarrassment of how bad it is :')

Status
Not open for further replies.