• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Farrah Gray Publishing, Inc.

android415

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this ad on Craigslist. Legit or not?--

Get Signed To A Major Publishing House!

Farrah Gray Publishing (FGP) Is Accepting Manuscripts (All Genres)
Looking For The Next Hot Thing In Publishing!

Submit Your Info: [email protected]
(For A Chance To Receive A Publishing Deal!)

Farrah Gray Publishing (FGP) is distributed by HCI Books, which published the world famous No. 1 New York Times, USA Today and Guinness Book of World Records best-selling Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Chicken Soup for the Soul sold more than 112 million copies, with titles translated into more than 40 languages.

Sounds a little fishy, but I looked them up, and they seem real enough. Help, I'm still very green towards this sort of stuff.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
If they are legit, that's an icky way to say 'we're looking for submissions'. Total turn-off.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really sure why you would need Mr. Gray to submit to HCI. They take unagented submissions of book proposals.

Here is the page at HCI for Gray.

I just can't get past this:
Gray's desirous to bring timeless, bold, and ambitiously contributive messages to an ever expanding audience-base of self-development seekers. Through various formats of self-help and self-development literature, Gray is passionate about providing true access points of transformation to those who desire true change in varying arenas of their lives.

and this:

With Dr. Farrah Gray Publishing and HCI Books working in tandem, an incalculable numbers of lives stand in the doorway of ever expanding transformation.

Really, he offers no guidance as to what he will be publishing other than ambitiously contributive messages. Whatever that means.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Your guess is as good as mine, Lynn. I'm thinking maybe FGP operates semi-autonomously, and HCI didn't know? At any rate, I'm betting that Don Lemon and Flavor Flav didn't get billed for $100K.

There's already been some blowblack on my blog: this morning I found two anonymous comments attacking Frost's and Hall's characters and alleging there are "other sides" to the story--but, of course, offering no documentation. I rarely delete comments, but I got rid of these because I don't like personal attacks.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If Amazon is to be believed, hasn't published anything since '11. Has been involved in a variety of lawsuits, however, both as defendant and plaintiff.

An example I found interesting: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-tnwd-2_12-cv-02696/pdf/USCOURTS-tnwd-2_12-cv-02696-1.pdf (tl;dr - Author signs endorsement deal with hair-care product company. FGP sues company for copyright infringement for using her book in ads, etc. FGP loses because book is copyrighted to author.)