Recommendations, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty108

Hello
Registered
Reaction score
Short Stories

I have used several Roald Dahl short stories in my 9th/10th grade English classes. I am looking for some easy-to-read, engaging short stories that are appropriate for high school students. I have purchased general anthologies of short stories as well as collections by specific authors such as Hemingway, Malamud, Carver, and Wolff. I've found many interesting stories, buy very few that meet my needs as a teacher.

Any suggestions?

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Kelly Link's stories are a fun read.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Engaging and easy to read is a bit generic, but I would think a number of Hemingway's stories would fit that bill. I remember very much enjoying The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber when I was roughly the age of the students you mentioned.

For something simple and straighforward, maybe something like The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst, or for something a bit more sophisticated, maybe one of Richard Bausch's stories. Glass Meadow would be a good one, imo.

Scotty108

Hello
Registered
Reaction score
Engaging and easy to read is a bit generic, but I would think a number of Hemingway's stories would fit that bill. I remember very much enjoying The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber when I was roughly the age of the students you mentioned.

For something simple and straighforward, maybe something like The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst, or for something a bit more sophisticated, maybe one of Richard Bausch's stories. Glass Meadow would be a good one, imo.

Yeah, it is a little generic, but I'm looking for a book that is appropriate for high school students and yet entertaining/funny/scary/strange enough to keep their interest.

Many "classic" short stories have too many difficult words, are filled with philosophical messages that students can't grasp, the language is outdated, the subjects discussed are inappropriate, etc. Even some that are in the anthologies (which I do use, but I like to add other stories), aren't so great for the age group.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scotty:

I'm carving your post from the #1 Short Story thread, and giving you your own thread. I think you're likely to get more responses that way.

Smish

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I don't know what your needs as a teacher are, so I can't suggest specific titles. However, I'd suggest looking at ezines, because the stories can be read for free, so you won't need to pay out to see if any of the authors are what you're after.

Duotrope is mostly used by people looking to submit, but I think you'll also find it useful for narrowing down markets to read. You can search by genre, length, etc.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I've found many interesting stories, buy very few that meet my needs as a teacher.

Any suggestions?
What are your needs, specifically? If you tell us, it might help to generate suggestions that would agree with your curriculum.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
If you're looking for speculative fiction stories the Writers of the Future anthologies are put together with use in high-school classrooms in mind.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(Merged dup thread from Book Club into this one. Carry on.)

Scotty108

Hello
Registered
Reaction score
What are your needs, specifically? If you tell us, it might help to generate suggestions that would agree with your curriculum.

The classes are 30 minutes per day-- time set aside for preparing the students for state exams.

I am teaching the concepts of personification, point of view, symbolism, metaphor, setting, mood, etc. I prefer to teach them through literature, but I am looking for stories that the students don't read in other classes (stories not in the six reading anthologies--grades 7-12). I find that students (especially vo-tech students) like Roald Dahl. I've read probably 8 or 9 of his stories in class, and most of the students enjoyed them.

I am reading John Collier and Charles Beaumont right now.

But I'm open to anything that grabs them from the beginning and makes them want to read.

I don't want to exclude good writers I'm unfamiliar with by being too specific. I'm really open to anything good that doesn't have too much sex or explicit language.

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
They probably like Dahl because he often has a child-against-the-world theme, as in child against unreasonable adults.

I like him for the same reason.

Try some Ray Bradbury shorts, or Ed Hoch's, "Zoo," a short and excellent scifi story. (Ed was a renowned mystery short fiction writer with over 900 stories to his credit.)

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Try Margaret Atwood. Her short stuff is easy to read and engaging. Collections of short:

• Dancing Girls
  • Wilderness Tips
  • Bluebeard's Egg

and short shorts:

• Murder in the Dark

Pheasant_Plucker

Registered
Reaction score
Tobias Wolf's "The Night in Question" anthology contains some beautifully written stories. Adult themes, lots of depth but simple language.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Lone Ranger & Tonto Fistfight in Heaven - Sherman Alexie

Eleven Kinds of Lonliness - Richard Yates

The Things They Carried - Tim O'brien

A Good Man is Hard to Find - Flannery O'connor

The Lottery - Shirley Jackson

Tough Tough Toys For Tough Tough Boys - Will Self*

*Okay, joking about the last one. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is a little generic, but I'm looking for a book that is appropriate for high school students and yet entertaining/funny/scary/strange enough to keep their interest.

Many "classic" short stories have too many difficult words, are filled with philosophical messages that students can't grasp, the language is outdated, the subjects discussed are inappropriate, etc. Even some that are in the anthologies (which I do use, but I like to add other stories), aren't so great for the age group.

Your posts are scaring me to death. Unless you're talking about students with learning disabilities, I now see what's wrong with out educational system, and now know why Johnny can't read.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
Robert Olen Butler...all day long...his shorts are short and engaging...try "Crickets" for a start

It's beautiful.

I'd also suggest some John Updike shorts. There are tons to choose from.

I'm also a Katherine Anne Porter shorty story person. Her story "Flowering Judas" is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.