Does this mean she'll look at it if I up the word count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I just got this rejection. Mind you, this is on a query letter and two sample pages. Also mind you, this is a huge agent, a dream agent!

"[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Sorry for that. I held your query for a bit. I like the idea, but your word count’s very low for a YA novel, and I have to pass on it for now. I’m wishing it were more like 45k to 55k words...[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] I’d like to see you work in another layer to this story, which should increase the word count as well. Maybe give her another goal or add in some pranks or secret notes or a mystery? Just one agent’s suggestion. Do keep querying other agents and of course keep writing. You’re always welcome to query me again in the future."

Does this mean if I increase the word count and add a layer she'd look at it, or do you think I should just take this as a rejection and move on?
[/FONT]

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
sounds to me like if you beef it up word wise and with a well rounded subplot she will look at it again.
I don't think it can hurt to try.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
First, Congrats! The agent liked your query and your writing!!! That's the first hurdle, so take time to give yourself a little pat on the back. Now, beef up that story. . .and yes, it sounds like the agent would want to reconsider it with a larger word count. Good luck!

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I should get such a rejection! ( :Shrug: )

Seriously, great interest. I'd try and follow her suggestions as much as poss, even to the 'querying other agents' part. Have fun!

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I would resend it but also check out others. In the meantime get thinking of that extra layer and WRITE!!!

Kevvers

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely add to word count and resent!
BTW, congratulations on the nice comments from your dream agent!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I almost think this belongs in the "goals and accomplishments" section!

Nice work, and yes, I'd vote to re-work and re-send also.

(Sounds like a very nice agent, too!)

Susan

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
I'm agreeing here, too. You've got an awesome story idea and you've caught the interest of someone very important. Now comes the fun part...to write more! :D

Definitely resend once you've made some additions, but don't forget to mention her initial interest in your second query. You'll be in like Flynn.

Congrats on such an encouraging "R". :)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Awesomely enough, the extra layer came to mind right away, and I have already started working on adding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.