Rejectomancy

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Rejectolanche! Haven't had one of those in a while.

45-day form from Shock Totem
35-day form from IGMS
11-day personal from Waylines
6-day form from Whispers from the Abyss

The one from Waylines may be the most detailed, helpful feedback I've ever received in a rejection letter. They're awesome. Hope I can sell them something one of these days.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
83-day utter form (not even my name or my story title) for Sword & Mythos. I subbed on the first day.

Last edited:

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Polite rejection from One Story (around 70-ish days). Looks like a form but I've never subbed there before so uncertain.

Thank you for sending us "XXXXXX". We really enjoyed this piece, but we didn't feel it was right for One Story.

We hope that you will continue to send us your work.

Signed by "The Editors of One Story". (Another reason to think it's a form.)

Blah. Literary is not my strong suit.

Aggy, yours is the same as the rejection I received from them awhile back. I assumed at the time that it was a higher tier form. Obviously I have nothing else to compare it with, so maybe all their Rs are this nice. In any case, yes, it's a form.

I'd allow yourself to be encouraged. Also remember, the top literary markets (and even many not so top ones) are absurdly difficult. There's not a lot of love out there for writers of literary short fiction. I think, however, that you may have gotten a little bit of like. Even that's rare.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to all on recent R's - especially the rejectionalanche, those are always icky.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Polite rejection from One Story (around 70-ish days). Looks like a form but I've never subbed there before so uncertain.

Thank you for sending us "XXXXXX". We really enjoyed this piece, but we didn't feel it was right for One Story.

We hope that you will continue to send us your work.

Signed by "The Editors of One Story". (Another reason to think it's a form.)

Blah. Literary is not my strong suit.

I just got a rejection from One Story, too. Mine was a personal and the editor talked specifically about my writing and the story I sent in. I think it is actually the most encouraging rejection I've gotten. But, Aggy, anytime a place says they would like to see more from you it means they saw something in your work.

Also, I am working on a new story to send them now. If you are too, we could beta for each other before sending them off. Let me know what you think and if you would have time.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
9-day form from Neverland. I got the the exact "Roger and I" form rejection quoted by Dorothy a few days ago, although this was appropriately signed by Rebecca.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
164 day personal R from TM, after my third query. As I had suspected, not the right fit. Glad I can now submit it elsewhere without worrying about sim subs.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
24-day form rejection from Electric Spec. I know I should find another market to send the story too, but I kind of want to hold off until May so I could submit it for Penumbra's Hitchcock themed anthology. Hmm.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Twenty one days from Daily Science Fiction. I love how they are always consistent at three weeks :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And just like that, all my *really* old crickets are dead. Time to go query on the only remaining sub from 2012.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
47-day form R from Shock Totem, 59-day form R from Tor.com and a 32-day personal R from Beneath Ceaseless Skies.

Last edited:

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
15 day form from the good folks at Strange Horizons. Well it's time to rework this piece for Hungur. Off to adventure!

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Hugs to all of my fellow rejectioneers!

26 days to a higher tier form from 3LBE that mentioned the story was well written and invited me to submit again. Even though there were no specific comments, this was a variation on the standard form I have seen from them in the past.

And it looks like Tor is starting to move a little more quickly. Makes me feel less hesitant about subbing to them.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations for the recent wave of R's - especially the triple whammy, Marzioli. :Hug2:

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
2 day R from beneath ceaseless skies
36 day R penumbra
23day R from crossed genres

No more sick days for me if this is what I find.