What are you reading?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Almost done with The Fall, the follow-up to DelToro and Hogan's The Strain. I am not as impressed with book two as I was with book one, but it's still a good read.

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading:

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. I'm only a little ways into this so far, but I'm really enjoying it. The plot is fast paced and the characters are super interesting.

Where it Began by Ann Stampler. I've been looking for a good, super compelling contemporary YA for a while. Right now I'm skeptical that this will be it.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
From the "It's about time!" department, I'm reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
HAWKSMAID by Kathryn Lasky. It's MG (I think?) and I kind of picked it out for my younger sister since she wasn't sure what to take out from the library, but I kind of wanted to read it too. So I am.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
HAWKSMAID by Kathryn Lasky. It's MG (I think?) and I kind of picked it out for my younger sister since she wasn't sure what to take out from the library, but I kind of wanted to read it too. So I am.

Kathryn Lasky is BOMB. I love her - and she is a really interesting speaker too.

Currently reading: GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn.
I love the voice & writing so far. :snoopy:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Havelok the Dane (1280-1290). Marty Stus are *not* a new invention. :tongue Although I don't think the anonymous author was picturing himself as Havelock. Rather, I think he was giving his audience a "Calgon, take me away" experience.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow Patriots: A Novel of the Revolution by Lucia St. Claire Robson. This novel follows mostly the ordinary people in the American Revolution who turn to spying.

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Starting on Death Angel by Martha Powers.

Izhitsa

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished 31 Days: Gerald Ford, the Nixon Pardon, and a Government in Crisis by Barry Werth, an excellent post-script to Watergate.

Now reading The Last Hundred Days by Patrick McGuinness. Counting days seems to be a theme. :)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
At the recommendation of an AWer, The Parable of the Sower. I like the voice and story but sheesh, I've never seen such a tiny typeface in a published book. It's literally painful to read. (and I'm not quite so old that I need to start getting large print books. This is tiny, tiny print.)

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
The Postman Always Rings Twice

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally getting to read A Song of Ice and Fire. With how long it is, it's probably going to take me all summer between classes and work.

Juliabird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm current reading Need and Inside Out. Both have proven to be a lot of fun! For school, I'm reading Traces of the Spirit by Robin Sylvan. It's very interesting and thought provoking.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A lesser-known Jack London novel, Smoke Bellew. Thoroughly enjoyable. London was one of the finest natural narrative writers who ever lived, rival to Stevenson, Kipling, Wells, Zane Grey, Talbot Mundy. Most people are aware only of his three most famed novels, The Call of the Wild, White Fang, and The Sea-Wolf, but he was a prolific writer who dipped his pen into SF (The Star Rover) and a variety of other things. I'm going on a London binge the next few months, I think.

caw

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
The Power and the Glory
Graham Greene

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Finished A Year In The Merde a few days ago. Pretty forgettable, but a fun, light summer read. One of the funnier books I've read in ages, to say the least.

Now onto Arthur Miller's adaptation of Ibsen's An Enemy of The People, which is required reading for school. Never read Ibsen or Miller (besides The Crucible, which I really liked), or many plays in general for that matter, but I knocked out half of the thing today and it's pretty enjoyable so far.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Darkness, My Old Friend, by Lisa Unger. The book hooked me from the first page. I think I'm a new Lisa Unger fan!

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Stayed up late to finish The Fault in Our Stars. Enjoyable book.

I'm re-reading The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and another from the "It's about time!" department, Fight Club.

Allynegirl

Wax the Cat
Registered
Reaction score
The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson (lunch read) - just started this non-fiction book I got from the library.

A Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwell (bedtime read) - non-fiction book revealing her ideas about the identity of Jack the Ripper.

Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card (book on CD) - just picked up from the library.