• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure you'll get rejected if you didn't get it right.

Just kidding! I wouldn't worry about it--she probably receives correspondence with both. You may be able to find your answer by looking for write-ups that mention her by something other than her full name.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Miss Meg,

Don't sweat the small stuff. If she rejects you (and I hope that doesn't happen!) it won't be cause you called her by the wrong name.

And if she accepts you, it won't because you fuond the magic salutation.

You'll be fine.:)

Maprilynne

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
JB rejected my full after two months -- basically with a form-type reply.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
On the 26th, I queried their new agent, Alyssa Eisner Henkin, and today she requested the full manuscript, saying my idea sounded innovative and exciting. She said I'd have to sign a release form, but I think she forgot to attach it to my email.

Anyway, in future emails to her, should I address her as Ms. Henkin or Ms. Eisner Henkin? I've been doing the former, but now I'm not so sure.

congratulations!!!

I'd go with Eisner Henkin, myself. But I think you'd be fine either way.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting opportunity

I just found out that Kimberly Whalen will be at the April 14th SF-RWA chapter meeting. I live about 45 minutes away from the meeting place, so I will go if I don't hear from the other agent that has the same manuscript in the meantime.

I was thinking of stalking...er, slipping her a thank you note for considering my 'script. Apparently, they will be raffling off pitch appointments, too. Wouldn't that be weird if I got one? I'll have to prepare a "non-pitch" conversation since she already has my revised-to-her-specifications full. Which I'm sure she isn't even thinking about reading, anyway.

If anyone has any advice on how to maximize this opportunity, feel free to chime in!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Alexandra Bowe was the name of the assistant to Kimberly Whalen who corresponded with me.

bjb

Yesterday I received an email from Alexandra Bowe requesting my full on behalf of Kim Whalen, so for right now I imagine Alexandra is her assistant. I don't know where Ashley Seashore went, but i love that name!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Toni! I'm still waiting to hear back from Jenny Bent, but I'm in no hurry. I'd rather wait a year for good news than a week for bad news.

~ Maddy, who's sticking to the "no news" policy

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
How long does it usually take Ms. Bent to respond? I queried her and haven't heard back yet and didn't know if I should just write it off as a rejection. I probably should, anyway.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
How long does it usually take Ms. Bent to respond? I queried her and haven't heard back yet .

Do you mean her response time to a query? In my experience with her, she's responded pretty quickly (within 2-3 weeks) but conference time is starting up now so they might all be bogged down. If you're talking about her response to a full or a partial, that always takes longer.

FSU David

Please define Cover Letter......

I have heard/seen a kajillion and 58 different cover letters. No two even remotely resemble the others. Can someone please afford me what a good cover letter includes from top to bottom. Also, are graphics needed or even desired?

Thanks,

David

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Ms. Bent rejected me Friday 4/6/07 and even took the time to alter her form query to apologize for taking so long to reply. I expected it and it was considerate of her to express her regret for the delayed response.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I have heard/seen a kajillion and 58 different cover letters. No two even remotely resemble the others. Can someone please afford me what a good cover letter includes from top to bottom. Also, are graphics needed or even desired?
David, you might want to look over in the Share Your Work board, Query Letter Resources.
Cover letters are very simple (and discussed in the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim thread on the Writing Novels subforum) so I'm thinking you may mean queries.
-Barbara

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Trident Media Group vs. Dystel & Goderich: Round 6!

Here’s another update on my paranormal romance agent hunt saga:

Had a chance to actually meet Ms. Whalen in person for a few minutes after she gave a presentation at a local venue (the details are unimportant, really). She was very nice and approachable, and confirmed my findings that she’d be a great agent to work with. The main goal was to give her a “real card” thank you note for considering the manuscript (we’ll overlook that the 1 year anniversary of the initial query sending has already passed).

Goal accomplished!

On the other hand, when I reminded her about the manuscript (story, etc.), she *clearly* had no earthly idea what I was talking about, even though, bless her heart, she was trying her darndest to remember. This, after emailing her two revisions, the most recent being last month.

*sigh*

It almost feels as though I’m starting all over again, except the foot in the door part has already been accomplished. It also confirmed my suspicions that because of a change of assistants, my manuscript probably slipped through the cracks (she shared that her office receives around 100 queries a day).

So I’m very pleased, and much relieved, but still waiting to hear what Jim at Dystel & Goderich thinks of the same revision of the same manuscript.
It was a little frustrating to hear her talk about the market being saturated with vamps and weres, although she believed paranormal romance is here to stay…*and I had submitted a paranormal with no weres or vamps*.

*double sigh*.

Time will tell if it was worth the mileage, time, and thirty bucks.

Hope this helps someone.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity, how long has Jim had your rewrites? (Yes, I'm nosy)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I hope he gets back with you ASAP. It does seem like he either gets back with people right away...or it takes 2 months. Of course, if it takes 2 months, you're almost there!

Keep us posted. I'll cross my fingers for you!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Well, after one year and three weeks, I finally got my form rejection on the full from Kimberly Whalen.

onward and upward.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
Ah shoot, sorry to read that, clara bow. But as you say, onward and upward. Take best wishes with you.

kap

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a request for my full ms from Alyssa Eisner Henkin. There was no mention of a waiver... I sent her an email attachment as she directed, so I hope I don't get tripped up by the business end of things. I have no control over her liking my story, but to mess up a chance like this over a waiver is exacerbating my butterflies!

Does anyone know how long she takes to respond to a manuscript?

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it depends on the length of the manuscript, but on a loop I read that she responds in a reasonable amount of time. I don't think specifics were discussed, but there weren't any reports of huge waits. Hope that helps (but your mileage may vary).

Good luck with her!