Wow... a HUGE writers forum!

primem0ver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I found this website looking for a "writers forum" so that I could ask a question about my latest effort (the stand alone novel listed below). I noticed a lot of different kinds of advise and help being offered and I have participated on "creative forums" before (of a completely different type) so I thought .... what the heck...

About me:
I am a science and computer science teacher (now online instead of public school) who ran the creative writing club in two different schools for a total of 5 years (because of my interest in writing).

I love to create things and I have been an "author" in my own mind for as long as I can remember. Creating stories and poems all the time. I also love to read, write software (the other major forum I participate on is the Civ IV modding forum at Civfanatics.com), and write music.

My favorite genre's are SF, F and general poetry (including lyrics). I have written two and a half short stories that I believe could get published if I cleaned them up (as well as several others that are... of a lower quality). I am working on a trilogy (half done the first book which I have currently set aside because I think selling the first book of a trilogy as my first book is a difficult sell), and a semi stand alone novel (that COULD have a sequel if the first book was successful enough).

I have hired an editor in the past and have been told that what he read was very promising. I am not sure if all editors say that... but I found the words encouraging nonetheless.

It was nice to come across this writing community. I hope I can give as much as I may receive from this forum.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. It's always nice to see science people who are also writers. I'm going back to school for computer science, and I'm glad I'm not the only weird person out there.

primem0ver

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. It's always nice to see science people who are also writers. I'm going back to school for computer science, and I'm glad I'm not the only weird person out there.

LOL. What an amazing coincidence. I am considering doing the same but mainly because it may be the only way to find people to help me develop a new kind of software. The program I would be doing (a masters degree) would involve joining a team that volunteers time to develop for projects being spearheaded by major companies. I am hoping to be able to submit my venture as a project. (My undergrad is a double major in science teaching.)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members. If you are new to forums in general, or maybe a bit shy about posting, this is a good place to start.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you along. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Welcome! Always nice to have another SF/F writer on board. There's tons of different people here from all over the world, so enjoy meeting everyone and joining in the conversations! :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love to create things and I have been an "author" in my own mind for as long as I can remember. Creating stories and poems all the time.

My favorite genre's are SF, F and general poetry (including lyrics).
Welcome to AW, Primem0ver.

Nice intro. Now my pitch. ;) Do come and visit us in the Poetry forum. We can always use another poet in our ranks. :D And, unlike the other SYW areas of AW, the Poetry Crit section does not have a 50 post minimum requirement on it before you can post a poem. There is also the AW Chapbook section in case you have a poem you want to share but do not wish a critique on it.

Come, read and comment on other poets' works, post the poem you just wrote in the Crit section (yes, I did read that bit. We won't think you need a straight-jacket. Don't be afraid. ;)), and enjoy getting to know us. We would love to have you.

Btw, I write Fantasy, too. :)

Welcome to AW.

T M Grout

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new too so welcome! That must have been amazing to run a couple of writing clubs. You must have learned a lot. Very cool :)

TG

primem0ver

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Primem0ver.

Nice intro. Now my pitch. ;) Do come and visit us in the Poetry forum. We can always use another poet in our ranks. :D And, unlike the other SYW areas of AW, the Poetry Crit section does not have a 50 post minimum requirement on it before you can post a poem. There is also the AW Chapbook section in case you have a poem you want to share but do not wish a critique on it.

Come, read and comment on other poets' works, post the poem you just wrote in the Crit section (yes, I did read that bit. We won't think you need a straight-jacket. Don't be afraid. ;)), and enjoy getting to know us. We would love to have you.

Btw, I write Fantasy, too. :)

Welcome to AW.

LOL. Well I only have bits and pieces so far. I do like poetry so I am sure I will visit there. I have written several poems that I really like so I may share one here and there. Plus I am not as concerned with sharing that as I am my SF&F.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm going to school for computer science also but on the networking end. I get taught some programming but mainly it's setting up and maintaining networks of all kinds, fixing and repairing computers and related tech, database work, and hacking. The hacking portion is scary to think about considering there are plenty of people in my class that I refuse to trust with a rubber band gun let alone hacking into things that may or may not even be legal (there is a VERY fine line between the two, trust me). Same goes with the computer repair portion. Everyone has a dvd that enables you to bypass login passwords on a windows and linux computer. Just boot from the dvd and select an option and you're inside the computer. From there you can view any and all files on the hard drive whether you hid them or password protected them. It kind of opens your eyes to realize just how insecure you really are. After I found that out, I tell my friends and family to NEVER leave your computer over night with the tech unless you know for a fact you can trust them. If you can't, watch them fix your computer! ANYWAY, welcome! *end rant*

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hello! Fellow fantasy writer here. Welcome to the forums!

I've only been a member here for a little under a week and I've already gotten great answers to some burning questions so I'm sure you'll be able to gain something here too. Good luck with your writing!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Selling the first book of a trilogy is hard if it cannot stand alone. For any series you want to write (or thinking about writing, always make sure the first book can stand alone, then you can put the generic "book can stand alone but has series potential" in your query:).