A New Member's Salutation

Ninian Truong

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Absolute Write inhabitants,

I'm Ninian Truong, but I'll go by Ninian :). I'm a sophomore in high school, and I have two clear purposes of becoming a member of AbsoluteWrite, reading and writing.

My family moved to the United States about a year ago. Since then, I have been struggling to learn the new language. Even though I grew to love books (which is strange because "books" and "reading" were obscure terms to me when I lived in Vietnam), especially classic literature, I haven't dug very deep into the heart of American literature. Therefore, I hope to digest as much timeless works of great novelists as I can. If you have any suggestions on worth-reading books, please feel free to post it here.

Nevertheless, that is not the main reason why I come to AbsoluteWrite. Since I want to hone my writing skill, I undoubtedly believe this professional society will help to achieve my aspiration and give me opportunities to meet and befriend with tons of amazing writers. In addition, while on the quest of discovering this forum, I saw some opinions, specifically referring to AW, that said AW is the great place to practice writing, yet critics here have very high expectation; they strive to perfect essays and stories, and oftentimes their responses are harsh. To me, I am immune to hard words, as long as they are productive. I'm learning English as a second language; hence, I'm very glad when someone helps me with my writings.

Once again, I love to communicate with you folks out there and exchange story ideas. I know my writing is not good, and that is why I am here. Thank you very much for those of you who ignore grammar mistakes and stick till the end. I really appreciate your time.

N.T.

P.s: I would love to have you guys picking out mistakes in this salutation, correct them, and reply to me. Besides that, just drop by and say hello ^^.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Your command of written English is very good.

Your high school English teachers and librarian should be able to provide you with help on books to read. They will be glad to help someone who is interested in reading beyond the assignments. I would suggest reading some "fun stuff" and nonfiction as well as the classics (which tend to be fiction).

Last edited:

y.yang

Y.Yang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.samthesneaky.com
Welcome, and I agree with alleycat: your grasp of English is very good. I would say it's better than half of America's high school graduates, people who grew up here.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. You asked for some critiques on this post. Only a few issues jumped out to me when I read it. Otherwise, your writing is quite good.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Your post brought a smile to my face. I wish more American students had this type of motivation to learn our language properly or even to read books. Most have their eyes glued to their phones. Don't get me started on that issue. I agree with going to your teachers for additional help, but it seems you have a nice grasp on the language already. Speaking of Vietnam, my brother happens to be in Da Nang right now doing a medical study that he hopes will be landmark. Welcome!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Ninian. The more good writing you read, the easier it will be to write well yourself. As some others said, your written English is quite good for a new non-native speaker. Keep reading and practicing and you will be fine I know! I'm very glad you found us. Please ask if you need help finding things, and enjoy exploring here.

Shelley-Bell

Been here a while getting braver !
Registered
Reaction score
Good Evening Ninian and welcome from across the water in the U.K. English is my native language but there are many differences even between the UK and USA. you seem to be doing just fine

cnl790

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Welcome aboard. Your English is very good from your post above though :) I couldn't even tell. I wish you luck with your future writing endeavors. It's heartwarming to see your age group wanting to become writers. I started my sophomore year writing as well.

Ninian Truong

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your acclaims. I try to write better because I don't want others to feel uncomfortable reading a text filled with errors :p.

@alleycat:
Thank you for your instruction. I've never thought about asking librarians to help me with my reading!

N.T.

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Ninian! Hello from Australia!! Your English is very good :)

Ninian Truong

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for dropping by my thread :).

Also, does AW have a section devoted for writing journalism? I'm taking the class, and it is a whole new experience, because recording news is totally different than writing creatively.

Thank you,
N.T.

csorensen

YA Writer, Lover of Common Sense
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.csorensenwrite.com
It's awesome to see your enthusiasm while still young. Don't lose that...just keep writing and you'll keep getting gooder and gooder;-)