Hail from San Antonio!

High Life

Wife, Editor, Therapist
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I stumbled across this site from someone's blog link, and I was so glad to find it! I've been browsing around the forums and the community here seems awesome. It's nice to find a support network and other people to connect with.

So I'm not a writer, but I am my husband's editor. He's got a few short stories up as e-books and is working on a fantasy novel. It's a little weird being his wife and editor, as I have to be the cheerleading squad on one hand, and the harsh critic on the other. I try very hard to be honest with him about his writing (well, about everything, lol) and so far we're doing well. I'm curious to meet other editing spouses though, and chat about the challenges they face.

In other news, I'm into horseback riding, scuba, and online gaming.

Nice to meet you all!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members. If you are new to forums in general, or maybe a bit shy about posting, this is a good place to start.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you along. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'd imagine that is a tough balance, trying to tell him what he needs to fix in his writing without hurting his feelings. I hope he has a thick skin.

Walter Lime

Read, write, and run.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
walterlime.com
Wife and editor. That's a tough job! My mom did the same for my dad for over twenty years. She was brutally honest with him, but he had the thickest skin you ever saw. It made for some hilarious discussion, and a bit of heated word-bandying over the years. But through it all, Dad kept on writing, and Mom kept on editing. Your post brings back memories to me.

Nice to meet you.

SunshineonMe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! :welcome: Wow! You're hubby is lucky! That's great that you two are a team. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Welcome to you and your hubby from another Hill Country writer. Enjoy wandering around. Lots od places to see, lots of people to meet!

Tom Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Hi San Antonio, leaving Texas for Idaho? You're kidding, right? Folks from Idaho comes to Texas, not the other way around (haha). My wife also does a lot of my editing before the manuscript goes to the publisher, and their editor for final edits. Visit my Blog sometime.

High Life

Wife, Editor, Therapist
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@TheHungryFreelancer - We both play Lord of the Rings Online regularly, have dabbled in WoW, and I'm very excited about the Elder Scrolls Online release in April! Do you play any of the same?

@rwm4768 and Walter Lime - Hehe, yes it is a tough balance. We've had some pretty good arguments. I like to use a great thought on him that I read on a blog - "The editor is always right." That tends to settle things - sometimes. :rolleyes Glad I could bring back some good memories.

@SunshineonMe - Thank you, it's great to be a team. It's brought us closer, I think.

@Cathy C - Howdy! I love the Hill Country, don't get there often enough though. :cry:

@Flounder32 - Yes, we did get some hail. What's funny about bad weather down here is that no one knows how to drive in it....

@Tom Johnson - Well, I'm military, so it's not exactly our choice to move. I gotta say though, much better Idaho than Korea! How long have you and your wife been writing/editing together? Does it get easier with time?

@thehairymob - :applause:

Tom Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
We started in 1982 with a hobby magazine, then moved into genre magazines in 1995, so we've been at it for a few years. Hey, we were stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio back in 1961 through 1963. Luckily, I went to France, not Idaho when I left (LOL). I've been back to San Antonio only once since then, and was completely lost. The city had really grown by then. Good luck in both your writing/editing, and the military. I made a career in the Army, and never regretted it.