• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Sneaking in writing at work...any tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

April Days

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even write at work during my lunch break. I mean, I could, but I sit in a cubicle, and it's too noisy around me - phones ringing, conversations, interruptions. Maybe I'm just too easily distracted. So, that's why I'm reading the boards at the moment, instead.

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even write at work during my lunch break. I mean, I could, but I sit in a cubicle, and it's too noisy around me - phones ringing, conversations, interruptions. Maybe I'm just too easily distracted. So, that's why I'm reading the boards at the moment, instead.

Do you compose scenes in your head at work? Would that count?

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I do that a lot. Most of my work is fairly routine and doesn't occupy much brain-space so I can think about my current project. If an awesome idea or phrase pops into my head I write a quick note on my phone but mostly I'm considering broader stuff than the individual words.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write when I'm at work. Too much pressure, distractions, etc. And it doesn't really feel right, to me.

I do have daydreams or story ideas, when I'm at work. For those, I've got my trusty Galaxy Note.

weavergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write at work. Not that I can't on down time, I just don't. My boss knows I'm working on a MS and his only comment was if I do work on it at the office, he needs to get a credit in the acknowledgement. That and hurry up and finish so he can read it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Not an issue for me, as my job is task oriented, rather than time clock oriented (except when I'm actually in class, of course--I teach at a college). If I don't get my work done, it doesn't get done, and I'll have more to do tomorrow, so I tend to stay on task when I'm working. I do a lot of my prep and grading work at home, actually.

But I do have times at work (between classes or when students are working quietly on their laboratory exercises) when I can read. Sometimes I grade papers or tests during this down time, but if I'm caught up there, I'll usually have the latest version of something I've written (or something I'm proofing) on my nook, and I do a little editing or beta reading at least. It depends, though. I can't let my mind wander too much if it's one of those labs where the students need a lot of help.

But I find work way too distracting an environment for composing something from scratch (aka writing a first draft), even if I bring my laptop. I tend to work best at home on my own computer in my own study.

Tigerlilly79

Maybe I should see someone . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a teacher so I couldn't write at work if I wanted to. I suggest you just do the job you're getting paid to do unless you have direct permission from your supervisor. Since you use the word 'sneaking' in the thread title, I'll assume you don't. Clearly it works for some people depending on their situation, but I don't want you getting in trouble.

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
'Sneaking' in writing, wasn't about being sneaky. It's like...sneaky fitness...(ie, trying to get in a few calf raises in the kitchen or a few lunges in the break room. Didn't mean to make it seem like that. I *do* have permission to do whatever I want on my down time. I'm just shy about my writing and don't really want people reading over my shoulder.

Obviously I need to be a little more clear in my posts. lol.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Only tip is take every opportunity. Discreetly.

Keep on top of or ahead of your workload. Write notes on scraps on paper and tuck the away when necessary. Type them up at home. Use technology where you can.

I write in note pad and email it home. I have scribbles in my note book that i type at home. I have an Alpaha Smart in the car beneath my seat. I have google drive and can edit it on my smart phone. It all contributes to the manuscript.

BeluvdLily

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, OP asked for tips on how to sneak and write at work. Not for a lecture on ethics in the workplace. A truly dedicated writer is almost always going to write at work on the sly or anywhere else they can. Frankly, I've always done it and never suffered any repercussions. There are tons of ways to do it and look as though you are working.

AKyber36

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I never write at work. I leave that for after hours in the comfort of my own room on my own computer. The most I can do during lunch is jot down some bullet points or doodle a sketch to facilitate the writing, but I'm not about to have my rough draft in front of me.

I feel the same way. I'm paid to work, so I do my work. I'm not there to indulge in any leisure activities, including my creative writing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I would say that if you have a job where you're paid by the hour, then you should be working while you're paid, unless you have one of those where the pace slows down sometimes, and the boss is fine with your entertaining yourself during down time.

Ethics aside, you don't want to get in trouble :)

But if you have a self-paced, task oriented job, I'd say go for it if you can, so long as you don't get so distracted you forget to do what you need to do. I need to get better at carrying a notepad around so I can jot down ideas when I get them, wherever I am.

BeluvdLily

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm, still discussing ethics I see. Snore. Still not an answer to the OP's question. Too bad most people aren't as ethical in real life as they purport to be online.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, OP asked for tips on how to sneak and write at work. Not for a lecture on ethics in the workplace. A truly dedicated writer is almost always going to write at work on the sly or anywhere else they can. Frankly, I've always done it and never suffered any repercussions. There are tons of ways to do it and look as though you are working.

This has nothing to do with being a "truly dedicated writer".

If workers sneak time to do other things when they're being paid to work, and don't have explicit permission from their employers to do this, they're stealing from their employers.

It's no different to helping yourself to the office supplies, or taking home the things that are sold in the shop that you work in without paying for them.

Hmmmm, still discussing ethics I see. Snore. Still not an answer to the OP's question. Too bad most people aren't as ethical in real life as they purport to be online.

BeluvdLily, you have no way to judge the real-life ethics of the people posting here. And please don't be so rude. It doesn't go down well here at AW.

Johny Moir

Registered
Reaction score
If only I could write at work, unfortunately I can't seem to concentrate on it when so many distractions are going on around me. Ethical or not, I wouldn't feel guilty about it if I could, I have the same level of respect for my employers as they have for me!

julie_a_w

Registered
Reaction score
When i worked in cosmetics in a department store I kept a tiny notebook in my smock to take little notes or I used those cards we were supposed to spray perfume samples on. When I worked in an office I'd email notes to myself.

BeluvdLily

Registered
Reaction score
I am not being rude at all. My point is that what could and should have been a fun (and prob funny) conversation about how to sneak and write at work has been turned into a competition of political correctness. Anyone who thinks their company is 100% dedicated to them at all times is sadly deceived. I just think a lot more fun could have been had with this post if everyone could just lighten up. Life is not that serious. And I'd expect writers, of all people, to be able to think outside the box.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks their company is 100% dedicated to them at all times is sadly deceived. I just think a lot more fun could have been had with this post if everyone could just lighten up. Life is not that serious. And I'd expect writers, of all people, to be able to think outside the box.

Thought I'd get this in before the banning and locking: Thanks to those writers who respect their employers and themselves by defending basic honesty.

So if my bank isn't 100% dedicated to me, it's okay to rob it? Yep, that's really thinking outside the box cell.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If only I could write at work, unfortunately I can't seem to concentrate on it when so many distractions are going on around me. Ethical or not, I wouldn't feel guilty about it if I could, I have the same level of respect for my employers as they have for me!

Respect isn't the issue.

If your employers knocked money off your paycheck because they thought they could get away with it, and tried to hide their actions from you, you would quite rightly be furious when you discovered what they'd done. You'd have grounds to sue them, and you would probably win.

Using time they've paid you to work for them to work for yourself instead is the same.

I am not being rude at all.

I disagree. Let me remind you what you wrote:

That sounds pretty rude to me. Dismissive, too.

Arguing with a moderator isn't very clever, either.

My point is that what could and should have been a fun (and prob funny) conversation about how to sneak and write at work has been turned into a competition of political correctness. Anyone who thinks their company is 100% dedicated to them at all times is sadly deceived. I just think a lot more fun could have been had with this post if everyone could just lighten up. Life is not that serious. And I'd expect writers, of all people, to be able to think outside the box.

This has nothing to do with how "dedicated" an employer is to its employees. Nor is it an issue of how tense or serious people are, nor does it have anything to do with whether writers can "think outside the box" (and while I'm on that subject, I'd have thought writers could express themselves without resorting to cliches).

If you had your own business, how would you feel if you found out that your employees had been stealing from you? Would you think it was funny?

How about if you discovered that builders you were paying to repair your home had actually been sitting in your lounge watching TV all day while you went out to work? Don't tell me: you'd find that a laugh a minute!

If you wouldn't find those scenarios amusing please explain to me how they're different to writers stealing time from their employers because frankly, I'm struggling to understand your justifications here.

Status
Not open for further replies.