When oh When Will the YA Trend End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffles

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to a writer's conference in a couple of weeks. All the attending agents are looking for YA (other things too, but YA is the one common genre among them).

I have no issue with the genre itself, but it's not what I write, nor is it what I want to write.

But then erotica seems to be the Next Big Thing (thanks 50 Shades!) and I don't write that either.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hopefully never.

Writers of *all* genres should want young people to read.

Don't want to write it? Don't. It's that easy. Don't write to trends; write what you want to read.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a trend, it's more like a defining sub-genre. Or maybe blossoming sub-genre. Maybe sub-genre is the wrong term, maybe... Book section. I still don't know what to call it. :Shrug:

But I have a thought that it's going to boil down soon enough and settle.

And to HoneyBadger's comment, I still can't believe 1/4 of the youth graduating high school is illiterate. :eek:

MVK

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a good feel for YA. In middle school I was reading Lord of the Rings. I'll have to take a look at a YA novel to see how it's different.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand the frustration with it. I've had negative experiences in the past working with industry professionals who were very focused on YA and who didn't seem to have as much enthusiasm for my work because it was not YA. It's pretty discouraging when you're just trying to get your book sold, but nobody will look at it because it's not YA.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

:D

Serious, though. Don't begrudge a generation of eager readers. They'll hopefully grow up to remain eager readers, and their tastes will change as they grow.

Waffles

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully never.

Writers of *all* genres should want young people to read.

Don't want to write it? Don't. It's that easy. Don't write to trends; write what you want to read.

My comment had nothing to do with young people reading. I said YA is what agents are looking for (at least the ones at the conference I am attending).

I did not say I planned to write YA or to trends at all. I have zero desire to read or write about teenagers. I have much desire to sell my book, which is not about teenagers. But ...YA seems to be all that is desired at the moment.

To further explain my specific frustration, I had some interest expressed in my novel, but only if I made it YA. Instead of my adult protagonist looking into the events of her mother's death twenty years ago and falling into an ill-advised relationship with the homicide detective working the case, make the protagonist a teenager trying to solve her mother's recent murder while falling in love with the son of a homicide detective.

That, combined with the writer's conference and all the agents there wanting YA...it's just frustrating. When Twilight was hot, it seemed like any mediocre novel about vampires was a sure sell. Now it's any mediocre novel about teenagers living in a dystopian future.

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
And to HoneyBadger's comment, I still can't believe 1/4 of the youth graduating high school is illiterate. :eek:
Welcome to the public education system. Your tax dollars hard at work. :D

Eh, I'm not much for YA either. I've read YA books, but for the most part, I'm not interested in writing it. But hey--if it gets kids to read, then I'm all for it. I just hope they eventually incorporate adult fiction into their reading as well.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Not sure why people are equating YA with teen readers, when it's been shown that a huge portion of YA readers are actually adults.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
To further explain my specific frustration, I had some interest expressed in my novel, but only if I made it YA. Instead of my adult protagonist looking into the events of her mother's death twenty years ago and falling into an ill-advised relationship with the homicide detective working the case, make the protagonist a teenager trying to solve her mother's recent murder while falling in love with the son of a homicide detective.

I don't think it's a matter of they only want YA.

Using your example--a woman falling for a detective working on a case she has an interest in has been done many times. Unless you have some way to put a new spin on the premise it may not appeal to agents who've seen it/sold it before.

Changing the characters to teens might very well be that element that makes it stand out in the crowd.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your frustration, to a certain extent. I'm not trying to sell a book yet, but when I've described the novel I'm working on to friends several of them have told me it would sell better as YA. I don't think I want to write teenagers. I love YA books, but I often find myself imagining the characters are older because I often find they ACT older, and I'm older, and so I just sort of forget that they're supposed to be teens. But then my sense of genre is off, because I write urban fantasy but don't have that many favorites in adult urban fantasy. I love Cassandra Clare's books, for instance, but would much rather read them about 25-year-olds. Anita Blake, on the other hand, is a grown-up who bores me to tears.

So I don't know if that's a frustration that YA is too big or that other genres are too narrow. Either way, there's nothing to do but write what you love and trust in the rest :)

TNTales

Registered
Reaction score
Great books can reach all ages (not that there aren't great books that aren't for all ages, Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian comes to mind). I reread True Grit not long ago and that's a great book that could be considered YA.

I'm not sure what I'm saying other than write a good book and sell it as YA.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Write a good book and sell it as whatever the best deal you can get may be. "Best deal" not only in terms of money, but in terms of how you'll be positioned to sell the things you may want to write in the future. That is to say, if you don't foresee yourself getting really into YA and becoming passionate about it, don't sell your book as YA just because it might be easier to sell it that way. You'll be building an audience with that book.

The easiest route is not always going to be the smartest.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I hope it never ends. It's what I'm writing for.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
IMHO, anything that gets people buying books is a good thing. It's a bit frustrating if there are agents won't look at anything else. But there's always another agent.

Mud

Erm...what was the question?
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to a writer's conference in a couple of weeks. All the attending agents are looking for YA (other things too, but YA is the one common genre among them).

Just curious, but how do you know?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
So agents are looking for YA. That means they're actively acquiring clients. This is a good thing. It means the market isn't stagnant. That's good for all writers all genres and all books.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Agents are business people. YA is what's selling right now, so of course they'll look at it. After all, they only make money on books that sell. But that doesn't mean they don't want great books in other genres too. Write the next bestseller and they'll want it. :)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
My comment had nothing to do with young people reading. I said YA is what agents are looking for (at least the ones at the conference I am attending).

You think the agents are looking for YA for no reason? They're looking for YA because YA sells. Largely (or at least to some extent) to young people. How does that have "nothing to do with young people reading"?

That, combined with the writer's conference and all the agents there wanting YA...it's just frustrating. When Twilight was hot, it seemed like any mediocre novel about vampires was a sure sell. Now it's any mediocre novel about teenagers living in a dystopian future.

I sympathize with your frustration, but be careful that you don't express it in a way that hurts or insults someone else. The joy of a recent sale in YA shouldn't be dampened by your assessment that the novel was probably 'mediocre', and the frustrations of YA authors who are having trouble selling their books shouldn't be accentuated by your assessment that their books must be sub-mediocre or else they would sell.

Be aware that YA is about more than just the ages of the protagonist. If people are telling you that your 'adult' novel might do better as YA, they may be saying that your writing style and thematic choices may be a better fit to a different market. If you want to keep the book 'adult' and you can't sell it as is, maybe you should be looking at it more closely to see why people think it feels YA.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score

I missed this earlier but RYFW is very much needed here.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I have read a few YA books -- the Harry Potter series, Hunger Games, and a handful of less famous ones. Many other adults I know also read YA books, all the way up to my mother, who is almost 70. I'd also like to see some data on what portion of YA books are actually read by adults, but I'm sure that publishers are aware of the adults-reading-YA trend.

I think that YA appeals to adult readers in part because YA books tend to be shorter and more strongly plotted than the average adult mainstream or literary novel. I think that easier-to-read, shorter, and more plot-driven adult novels could draw a lot of grown-up readers away from YA, if they became more common.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for ya. But this, too, will pass. All trends do.

I'd also say that the YA trend is a subgenre trend. Still vampires, werewolves, wizards, blahblahblah, dystopic futures, about or for kids glued to their iPhones and computers. I bet you a brilliant YA book about teens during WWI or the Galveston hurricane also would not sell any easier than a good mainstream novel about adults.

Unless we're total hacks, we do what writers have always done: write anyway, write what moves us, the best we can, and hope it sells. Back in the day (my day, in fact) the only choice when it didn't sell was to put it aside and hope in 10 years genre popularity would have shifted, or that one's career would be solid enough to support publication of the trunk novels. These days, thankfully, we can self-publish on line and still be read by strangers and make a few dollars. 15 years ago, a novel in an unpopular genre would sit in paper form in some box on a shelf and just moulder there.

Status
Not open for further replies.