When is dubstep not dubstep? When a band plays dubstep

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on a music forum I frequent and was blown away. I'm not really "into" dubstep, but have listened to some and find it fun from time to time.

Here's a live band pulling off an amazing cover of SKRILLEX's "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites."

http://youtu.be/ZuunY8BTqNs

The bass drops and "ponging" are unbelievable and the guitarist's "bluetooth enabled" guitar is pretty dang cool.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bump.

Dubstep has, according to what I've heard, some defining characteristics:

-a bass that goes Bum. BUM. Bum. BUM. <-- This is at a rate less than 140 bpm, I believe.
-that WOMP WOMP WOMP sounds.
-gritty electronic sounds as part of the background.

That's what dubstep comes down to in my mind...Obviously it's a subgenre of electronica, but it can have elements of other subgenres, like electrohouse, I guess.
However, I don't like dubstep. That song you posted, "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites," is the only dubstep song I tolerate. :tongue

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping that this would help me figure out what dubstep IS, exactly, but I still haven't.

Imagine Rick Wakeman being assimilated by the Borg just as Keith Moon succumbs to a coma in a vast subterranean cavern.

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine Rick Wakeman being assimilated by the Borg just as Keith Moon succumbs to a coma in a vast subterranean cavern.

That might be the best description of dubstep I've ever read.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Saw this on a music forum I frequent and was blown away. I'm not really "into" dubstep, but have listened to some and find it fun from time to time.

Here's a live band pulling off an amazing cover of SKRILLEX's "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites."

http://youtu.be/ZuunY8BTqNs

The bass drops and "ponging" are unbelievable and the guitarist's "bluetooth enabled" guitar is pretty dang cool.

Sounds like... um ... music to me. :Shrug:

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Banal dubstep is known as brostep. It's the stuff with the cheesy sampling of many wobbling basslines over a half-stepped two-step, at 140 bpm. (140 bpm is just like this... magical tempo or something. I call it pants but the young fratboys love it.)

Dubstep is the more abstract form of grime (UK version of urban RnB (garage) with lots of or mostly reggae influences) that draws from jungle and two-step for production technique.