Culpa Innata Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
I've played with Culpa Innata recently and I thought this one deserves a short review as this was one of the best adventure game that with I ever played (The Longest Journey is the other one).

Culpa Innata was inspired by and based on Alev Alatli's novel, Schrödinger's Cat. Unlike TLJ, this one is a sci-fi, takes place in the year 2047 in the elitist, utopian city of Adrianopolis. You, as World Union Peace Officer Phoenix Wallis must investigate a homicide case. This would be a cliche... if in the world of Adrianopolis diseases and felonies wouldn't have been nearly eliminated. You're the one who get the one and only strange homicide case what you'll have to investigate in the world of perfection.

The interesting element of the game; The game is non-linear in that it allows complete freedom of movement and exploration both in terms of the game itself and the narrative. If you thought Mass Effect has a non-linear game play, think again. Culpa Innata's story reacts dynamically to your actions. The sequence that locations and events are unlocked are based on your decisions, and can vary depending on the order in which they were unlocked. The game has a proprietary logic engine that allows 10,000 condition links between the events in Culpa Innata, creating a different experience for every player. As I took a look at the walkthrough after I finished the game, it's definitely true as I got a quite different order in the story, different events then the guy who written that review.

As you must live the life of Phoenix in the game, the game also features a day and night cycle and certain characters and events appear only during a specific time of day. Plus, your progress, dialogues with others and investigation takes time, so you can do only a limited task on a day. Everything is depending on you.

The characters are interesting and some of them are damned annoying, which is a very nice contrast of this spoilt and ignorant world that in we lives.

While the graphic of the game seems... well, a bit strange, less detailed and mostly outdated in the beginning (It's a game from 2007), the plot is intriguing enough to have a chance to forget this within the first hour. As in many adventure games there is a lot of dialogues... but unlike other adventure games, as this is a mystery investigation game, here you'll encounter with A LOT OF dialogues (Take the dialogues of Mass Effect 2. Now Culpa Innata has the same or even much more dialogues with full voice over.). Unlike ME2, here if you ask one question out of four possibilities, here you can't ask the other three questions later, which is already giving a different outcome of the conversations.

The music of the game is very atmospheric and fits to this world. The plot is very detailed, twisted and well crafted (Similar to 1984, Equlibrium and Huxley's Brave New World.). You can imagine everything about this world from the details as you reveal them during your investigation.

This game was a great surprise and was a refreshing adventure game comparing to other high budget cliché games, which has around only 5-10% of innovation of Culpa Innata. The story has multiple endings, but I got only one of them, which closed one of the main storyline, but left the other one opened and unexplained (Maybe it will be explained in the sequel or I'll have to make another walkthrough to learn that ending.)

95%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.