• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Publisher Free (formerly The World's Greatest Writing Competition)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I really don't like the TOS page, but most of the language is common on a lot websites out there.
The form and some of the wording are common, but "all acts comprised in the copyright" is not typical. Also, many TOS employ wording that makes it clear that the grant of rights pertains only to the operation of the website. I still think this is more sweeping than is ideal.

- Victoria

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
The form and some of the wording are common, but "all acts comprised in the copyright" is not typical. Also, many TOS employ wording that makes it clear that the grant of rights pertains only to the operation of the website. I still think this is more sweeping than is ideal.

- Victoria

I don't know what it means legally, but "all acts comprised in the copyright" is pretty typical. If you search in Google for "authorise the doing of all acts comprised in the copyright" you'll come up with pages and pages of websites that use that phrase in their TOS. If you Americanize it and switch "authorise" to "authorize" you'll a few hits, but nowhere near as as many as with "authorise". This leads me to assume this "all acts comprised in the copyright" thing is more typical in the UK and Australia than it is in America.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Is it just me or does that sound like propaganda for some sort of world-wide dystopian lottery? You know, the kind that hides a horrible secret about the seemingly ideal society. I can almost hear the cheerful automated female voice now....
For some reason that reminds me of this Onion article: Starbucks to Begin Sinister Phase Two of Operation

After reading the TWGWC stuff, I'm still a little unclear on the subject of exactly what the hell they do, or in what way they're better than a publishing contract.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's now November I was curious to find out what the big prize was. TWGWC is now called Publisher Free and it seems to me that it's basically some sort of display site. I don't frequent those, so I don't know if Publisher Free could really be considered one, but I'm not sure what else to call it. :Shrug:

Whatever it is, I have to wonder how many authors are happy with their "prize."