What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found 13RW an engaging read, and I had no problem with plausibility, but I know there are others who absolutely hated it.

I had no problem with plausibility, either, and thought the book was decent. I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it. And I think it was worth reading. Though honestly, I can't really remember much about it now. It wasn't particularly memorable.

I do like the cover a lot. I remember the cover. ;)

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting 13RW, maybe I won't now :) Does anybody have any other thoughts about it. I read the blurb it seemed intresting at the time.

I had no problem with plausibility, either, and thought the book was decent. I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it. And I think it was worth reading. Though honestly, I can't really remember much about it now. It wasn't particularly memorable.

I do like the cover a lot. I remember the cover. ;)

I found 13RW an engaging read, and I had no problem with plausibility, but I know there are others who absolutely hated it.

Thanks guys. Think I'll check it out and see.:)

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com

One of my favorite YA novels of all-time. I thought it was entirely realistic. And the fact that the author got me to cry at the end, even though I already *knew* the aftermath of everything, was like... wow.

I was once a suicidal teen, and I'm now married to someone who has regular bouts of suicidal depression (and his father committed suicide; and I could go on forever about people I knew who offed themselves, most of them teens). Every case is different. I honestly don't think you can have something NOT be plausible when it comes to wanting to kill yourself. There are so many factors that contribute to it, and no one ever sees all of those factors from an outside view no matter how well you know the person. How can someone reasonably say, "I don't think someone would really do that"?

Takes a lot of balls to suggest that you know what someone would or wouldn't do in a suicidal mindset, when a good majority of the time, the person who is suicidal doesn't even fully know what they're capable of doing or what they might try. Just saying.

My thoughts on the MC in 13RW are simple. She had already committed to the act of killing herself, in her own way and at her own specified time. The tapes were her way of making her peace with the world, so to speak, before she left it for good-- not necessarily meant to explain or justify her suicide. How she went about that and why she went about that are not things you can really question. And I think a lot of people who focus on the plausibility of her actions are missing the point of the novel entirely-- the message of hope at the end, despite all the bad that happened.

Last edited:

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished FLIP by Martyn Bedford. OMG that book is good - body-swapping 'psychic evacuees' anyone? The emotion and personality of the main character, and his struggle when he has to live as Philip/Flip, i thought was great.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Just finished FLIP by Martyn Bedford. OMG that book is good - body-swapping 'psychic evacuees' anyone? The emotion and personality of the main character, and his struggle when he has to live as Philip/Flip, i thought was great.

errrrrrrrfffff.... that's in my to-read pile. Must... resist... must finish... other books... first...

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I know! It was pretty bad. I read it because I wanted to figure out why it got such a huge advance, but I'm at a loss.
Here the same--I mean I wanted to figure it out. But I couldn't. I didn't find it as bad as many people here did, but I thought it was kind of mediocre and too drawn out and aren't we always told the agents want the first chapter to be all kiss kiss bang bang to attract attention?

There was also this NYT bestseller I mentioned before--a book which I found unoriginal and rather bland. Not a bad book, mind you, but an unremarkable one. Yet, there was the query for it on the Successful Queries website, and the agent said "wow, it was an amazing new super original idea and I immediately got excited when I read the query, I knew everyone would want to grab this one"--I was like, um, have you ever read any classic SFF? That kind of plot is one of the oldest toys in the box.

I don't mean to say that I'm this amazing genius writer, lol, it's just that often, when I read books that caused a big buzz, they don't seem omg-awesome to me. Just normal reads, like many other far less successful books.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Just finishing a couple of books by Alice Hoffman:
Green Witch
The Foretelling
Green Angel
The Red Garden
The Story Sisters

Still to read: The Probable Future

All are okay, kind of simple really. Give me a plot to get my teeth into.

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children in the very near future.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished $iren by Trici@ R@yburn and I will say that I LOVED the first 250 pages and then it just fell all apart for me. :( So disappointed. It had such potential an I was ready to scream, OMG, you have to read this book, but the last third of the book was, well...i'm not screaming am I? :(

Now I'm reading Invincible Summer by our very own HM. Really enjoying it. It's a smooth fun read so far and I've LOL'd a few times. She has a cute quirky style to her writing that I quite enjoy.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked 13RW, thought it was plausible and I agree with what Lydia said, how can you ever know what someone would or wouldn't do in a suicidal mindset? Also I didn't like Hannah's character either, but it's not necessary to like a character to hear their story or try to understand what they're going through. The ending message was an important one and I'd highly recommend it.

ETA: reading Ashes by Ilsa Bick. I really enjoyed the beginning, but now about 2/3 of the way through there are some cliches that are standing out. It's still good, but I'm just hoping that it turns around a bit and becomes unique again.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Stumbled over another school of magic story when I picked up M1a James' BY MIDN1GHT. So far it's mildly interesting, not least because it's set in London and written by an actual Londoner. I was pre-emptively wincing for the first few pages until I looked the author up and realised she lived in Kingston upon Thames, and now I can relax. :tongue A quick skim of Goodreads suggests it's all going to go downhill, but I'll stick with it for now.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Great read so far.

Set in and under London. Really interesting.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab. My god, it's beautiful. I'm so loving it. It just came out today and I'm on Chapter 9. I hope to finish by tomorrow so I can write a review. I'm in love with her melodic prose.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I'm 3/4 of the way through, and while it's held my interest, I can't decide why, hah.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
I read Memento Nora yesterday. I didn't expect much, but even so it was disappointing.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting 13RW, maybe I won't now :) Does anybody have any other thoughts about it. I read the blurb it seemed intresting at the time.

Thanks guys. Think I'll check it out and see.:)

One of my favorite YA novels of all-time. I thought it was entirely realistic. And the fact that the author got me to cry at the end, even though I already *knew* the aftermath of everything, was like... wow.

I was once a suicidal teen, and I'm now married to someone who has regular bouts of suicidal depression (and his father committed suicide; and I could go on forever about people I knew who offed themselves, most of them teens). Every case is different. I honestly don't think you can have something NOT be plausible when it comes to wanting to kill yourself. There are so many factors that contribute to it, and no one ever sees all of those factors from an outside view no matter how well you know the person. How can someone reasonably say, "I don't think someone would really do that"?

Takes a lot of balls to suggest that you know what someone would or wouldn't do in a suicidal mindset, when a good majority of the time, the person who is suicidal doesn't even fully know what they're capable of doing or what they might try. Just saying.

My thoughts on the MC in 13RW are simple. She had already committed to the act of killing herself, in her own way and at her own specified time. The tapes were her way of making her peace with the world, so to speak, before she left it for good-- not necessarily meant to explain or justify her suicide. How she went about that and why she went about that are not things you can really question. And I think a lot of people who focus on the plausibility of her actions are missing the point of the novel entirely-- the message of hope at the end, despite all the bad that happened.

I really liked 13RW, thought it was plausible and I agree with what Lydia said, how can you ever know what someone would or wouldn't do in a suicidal mindset? Also I didn't like Hannah's character either, but it's not necessary to like a character to hear their story or try to understand what they're going through. The ending message was an important one and I'd highly recommend it.

ETA: reading Ashes by Ilsa Bick. I really enjoyed the beginning, but now about 2/3 of the way through there are some cliches that are standing out. It's still good, but I'm just hoping that it turns around a bit and becomes unique again.

Thanks guys. :) Got the book and plan on reading it sometime this week.
Sarah.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Just started D!v3rg3nt in audio format. I like it so far but I'm only about 2 hours into it out of its 11 hrs total running time. It started off with a very similar dystopian vibe to Hung3r G@m3s and M@tch3d--girl has to go through ceremony devised for the supposed betterment of society per TPTB, and something goes wrong that is potentially life threatening. But...I still like this theme.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I just started Okay For Now, by Gary D. Schmidt. I guess it's on that cusp between MG and YA, but my library shelves it in YA. Anyway, it's gotten raves all over the place, so I'm looking forward to really diving into it after I finish my writing for the night.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
About to start Michael Grant's Gone series.

Status
Not open for further replies.