Sass- who didn't even get snow.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling good.

My DC relatives will gladly send you a huge box of snow.

Maryn, bringing soup over later

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling a little better now. I think I am allergic to cold/rainy/wet/blah days. The sun is out today and I went outside for lunch. Mr. Groove called to say he was going home and said I sounded better on the phone.

Sass- who is making Mahi for dinner, and we have King Cake for dessert.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's King Cake? (Take one king, mince fine...)

You know about seasonal affective disorder? It's quite grey here, and the lack of direct sunlight literally causes depression in some individuals. The treatment is X number of minutes per day in front of this specialized bank of lights, unless the sun's out. Then it's that many minutes outside.

Maryn, who was startled at the sunshine earlier this afternoon

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know what it was either until I moved here. (King Cake)
It's a Mardi Gras thing. Did you know the Mardi Gras in Mobile, AL is actually older than New Orleans? They market themselves now as the "Family" Mardi Gras.

SO it is cake that has a baby Jesus somewhere in it and whomever gets the peice with the baby is either lucky or has to buy the next King Cake. According to Mr. Groove anyway. He says it is sort of like a cinnamon roll, and the one we bought has Mardi Gras color sugar on it. Purple, Emerald and Gold.

ETA: the cake we bought last night from Publix, they put the little plastic baby in a bag in the middle of the cake which is a ring, so I guess you insert him yourself. Right? Mr. Groove of course finds the one where the baby is upside down and said "See what you do is, if you get the cake with the baby, you get to tell everyone to kiss your a$$. "
---

you are right. I may have S.A.D. I'll have to read up on it. I didn't even think of it. My dad has it- but for summer. Heat makes him anxious. Anxiety leads to depression.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, writers.

And the rest of you laggards, too.

Maryn, who hasn't written yet today

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I should report on the King Cake. It wasn't that great. I'd rather just have a cinnamon roll. I didn't know cakes could be, but the only word I can think of to describe it was bland. Mr. Groove said he's had better.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I cleared out a corner and have added to the cull pile of books. The weather is too bad to take them anywhere.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, House!

Busy, busy, busy. I'm writing on the train. It only adds up to less than 500 words each business day but at least, I'm writing.

The "king cake" I'm familiar with was usually served on January 6th (Epiphany) and was baked with a bean somewhere inside it. The person to find the bean in their portion would be king for a day. For Mardi-Gras, we do pancakes and maple syrup by the (figurative) gallon! :)

Get better soon, Sass!

Komnena: Wish I could be on the receiving end of those books! :D

Perle, who still hasn't booked for the get-together but keeps it on her list of things to get to, eventually...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perle, who still hasn't booked for the get-together but keeps it on her list of things to get to, eventually...
There's still a little time left!

I got confirmation today that the last deposit we need to pay the rental people is in the mail. Woo-hoo! When it arrives, I'll send them the check and ask them to confirm via email that the date is ours, then let everybody know.

Maryn, wet-headed (and a late cleaner-upper)

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. Sass - I hope you're feeling better. I'm feeling fairly annoyed right now. Right after Christmas my laptop died, so I took it to be repaired. I finally found out today - yes, almost 6 weeks later - that it was ready, so I picked it up. Only to get home and discover that now none of my USB ports will read anything I put in them. Iphone, Ipod, flash drives, external hard drives, nothing will read. And this is not the problem I took it in for originally. Now I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow to try and find out what they did to it that would cause this. I know they replaced the motherboard - anyone here tech enough to know if that would somehow cause this?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
If they did not update the drivers for USB on the new motherboard, I'd imagine it'd do that. I'm not at a computer where I can look at that stuff, but under the Control Panel, there is a thing for hardware devices. If you go through all that stuff and find the USB ports, you can right click on them and select the update drivers.

I think. I've had to redo the drivers on one of my computers before to get them to work, but it's been awhile. But doing that won't hurt anything if the drivers are up-to-date anyway.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, everyone.

Maryn, with a headache

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon House.
It took three hours to get my car doors open last night. I decided I would walk to work this morning.
Hubby came home this afternoon and reported a puppy was trying to get in. I have no idea what to do with a puppy except to take it to the animal shelter. We are not in the least set up to handle puppies. But this weather is not fit for man or beast. I went to the door but the puppy had disappeared. I hope it found someone who is set up to handle puppies. I don't want to know the kind of person who would dump a puppy in this freaking weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You don't want the animal, take it to the damn shelter!!!!

Last edited:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
That's how we got dog #2 and #3, dog #1 was from the animal shelter. #2 found us in the middle of a cold winter, half dead, shivering, and he could barely move. #3 found us in the dead of summer, starving, dehydrated, and again, she could barely move. I don't understand how people can discard an animal like trash.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me either, too. Those puppies are living things, able to feel and communicate pain. Animals used for medical testing are treated more humanely than abandoned pets.

Along the Erie Canal towpath a few years ago, two abandoned dogs apparently found one another and formed a pack of wild dogs which had at least two litters of puppies. God only knows how they managed to hunt enough to feed them all. (I see mice, chipmunks, woodchucks, and squirrels there all the time, but not a lot. The wooded area is only about 50 feet in most places.)

Anyway, people reported the dogs to the state's Canal Authority, which did nothing. Finally the town I live in sent in its own animal control officers, plus some borrowed from other towns, trapped 14 dogs, got them all medical check-ups and treatment as needed, and--here's the happy ending--every single trapped animal was adopted by someone working animal control. The follow-up story a year later said the young feral ones took some time to trust humans but succeeded, and the adults returned to being good pets almost immediately.

There was some minor political flap over the town acting on state land, but the state figured out early that the smart thing to do was to shut up and say thank you.

In other news, the sun is shining!

Maryn, cowering indoors

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
That's a good story, Maryn. (It's scary to see that bright ball in the sky.)

Our first dog, we picked out after a loose chow jumped the fence and knocked up my husband's stepdad's dog. They needed homes and we'd just moved in together, so we took one.

Our second dog came to us after some friends of ours decided they couldn't have a dog and a baby at the same time. We had "loaned" them some money to save his life when he got parvo as a pup. Since they had never payed us back, we got first dibs. He was treated horribly before he came to us and it took him a long time to come out of his shell. He's the best one with our kids.

Our third dog I found, tried to find his home and then gave him away. I'm pretty sure someone abandoned him. He's sweet, but has seizures. My husband's aunt took him to keep her other dog company. When she moved in with her boyfriend, he wouldn't let bring this dog, just the other dog. She was going to dump him off in the country. I threw a major pregnancy hormone hissy fit to my husband and we took him in too. He had to live outside for a year because we had some trouble with him and the other dogs. Now everyone is inside, fat and sassy.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy endings all over the place.

Our daughter's cat was reportedly stolen (by her ex-boyfriend) from a guy who said if his girlfriend, who owned the mother, didn't find homes for these damned kittens, he was going to give them to a guy he knew who trained fighting dogs. Shaun had lots of bad qualities, but a good heart. He stole the two remaining kittens, gave The Kid one, and a friend the other. The Kid's kitten's official name is "Dog Food," but nobody calls her that.

Maryn, who has no pets other than the highly successful spider in the basement near the washer

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our third dog I found, tried to find his home and then gave him away. I'm pretty sure someone abandoned him. He's sweet, but has seizures. My husband's aunt took him to keep her other dog company. When she moved in with her boyfriend, he wouldn't let bring this dog, just the other dog. She was going to dump him off in the country. I threw a major pregnancy hormone hissy fit to my husband and we took him in too. He had to live outside for a year because we had some trouble with him and the other dogs. Now everyone is inside, fat and sassy.
I think I'd dump the guy in the woods if he wouldn't let me keep my dog.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's almost three. When's lunch being served around this joint?

Maryn, hungry

Status
Not open for further replies.