Last Movie You Watched...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Silver Linings Playbook on TV last week - Absolutely lurved it!

... Was not a Bradley Cooper fan until then - But I've loved JLaw ever since I saw her in Winter's Bone.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
20 Feet From Stardom: An entertaining look at some of the unsung women whom as background singers don't get the fame and fortune, but whose voices have helped The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Sting and David Bowie get plenty of both.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
We're heading to the cinema tonight to watch the Rifftrax guys (AKA MST3K) do a number on Starship Troopers. Live simulcast. I expect to need kleenex from laughing so hard. :D

leela_e

Registered
Reaction score
I watch movie "The Lord of the Ring" one of my favorite movie :)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Rifftrax Live: Starship Troopers.

Hilarious, and just what I needed. (And, dear gods... someone looked at that film, nodded, and said,"Yep, that's it - that's the film we want to release!" Hollywood boggles the mind, it does...)

Oh, did anyone else see signs of overselling at their theaters? We had a packed house before the lights went down, then more people trickling in. Some left, and I think some wound up sitting in the aisles.

Zig Bigfoot

Registered
Reaction score
The Whisperer in the Darkness. It's a "fan" movie made by the HP Lovecraft Historical Society, based on the HPL story of the same name. It has never been theatrically released, as far as I know, just shown at various cons, but I saw it on the Chiller cable network, so that was neat. It's a little long, but the acting was good, the effects were great, and, being made by true fans, its heart is definitely in the right place!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Phantoms with Ben Affleck and Joanna Going. Not a great flick, but it had some genuinely creepy scenes with a dog (a staple in all of Dean Koontz's books) and a few good scares. Oh, and Peter O'Toole lends a bit more weight as the professor. Good timewaster, but nothing more.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Splinter. Made for SyFy or Chiller about a parasite that turns its host into human porcupines whilst making their limbs contort and stealing FX ideas from the 1982 remake of The Thing.

It was, of course, dreadful. However, Jill Wagner played the female lead, which brings up an interesting question: Is the career change from the bimbo on Wipeout to bad SF movies a move up or down?

/snark

Goldberry

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from watching "Sea of Monsters," the new Percy Jackson movie. I'm pretty horrified at how the story changed from the book. I know that movies can't be exactly like the books, but can't they at least try to keep the main storyline?

In the books, Ares the god of war is one of the most colorful and important characters. He's hilarious- he rides a motorcycle and his eyes reflect nuclear mushroom clouds. And what do they do in the movie? Completely leave him out. They change the plot so the "lightning" thief" is a completely different character. :rant:

Can you tell I take my kiddie books seriously? LOL.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the first Percy Jackson movie and gagged. It had some clever, updated ideas, but the acting and storyline reminded me of a camp production at times. Hey guys, let's put on a show. Due to that, will not watch SOM.

Treated myself to Wyatt Earp yesterday. Never liked Kevin Costner, but he's pretty good here and fortunately the cast backs him up. Catherine O'Hara--known primarily as a comedic actress--is excellent. In fact, so is everyone else.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from "Lee Daniel's The Butler". Very good. Impressive performances all round. I'm glad that it's doing so well.

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
The (new) Great Gatsby. While I am normally a fan of all the major actors in the film, I wasn't a fan of the film itself. It felt really overdone and just kinda all around had an "off" feeling. The original film and the book are far superior, in my opinion.