Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
The stigma of self-publishing is strange... As is the sneering some places have towards indie publishers - not that I am brave enough to spend much time in the SP part of the board. There has, traditionally, been much more innovation outside of the larger companies (though some of those innovations have gone from being quirky selling points, to being annoying promotional techniques which ought to be forgotten by all).

There's sneering everywhere in publishing. Self-pubbers, small presses, genre against genre, digital versus paper.

I think Chelsea's issue is more of nailing a definition than stigmatizing.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I think Chelsea's issue is more of nailing a definition than stigmatizing.

Yep. I just want to be clear about the labels and what they mean. And, really, it sounds like the meaning of the word is evolving. That just means I have to ask more questions. I can do that. I'm the inquisitive type. :D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was against self-publishing.

It isn't in here that such things get expressed, and I can think of a few decent SF books in recent years which were self-published, but out in the wilds of the internet - I keep seeing the same crap time and time again. It completely mystifies me... Maybe, being British, the strange publishers which crop up with three titles then vanish forever are more - understandable? familiar? The UK used to have publishers all over the place, which served very small areas, though this is going back to the fifties and sixties for the most part. There are still a few out there, mostly publishing local histories, ghost stories of the region, religious material... They are not bad, by any means.

There's sneering everywhere in publishing.

And the sneering is sooooo tiring. I have unfollowed a couple of major publishers and editors because of their smug attitudes. :)

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I've wasted so much time today... I blame Andrew Lloyd Webber for it, personally. :D

Though in writerly news, I figured out a way to (partially) make my fantasy idea work as a science fiction. It'll have to take on a space western vibe though which... I'm perfectly okay with, actually. :)

Shenanigans!

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: Before I go recharge my netbook batteries, I just had to show you all this:

snoweh.jpg

Have to say, I was disappointing today after I bundled up for the -41 windshield that it didn't feel like -41 at all. This winter has been weird, but at least we got snow this time.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND STO LAT, MAX!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ION, has anyone found a cure for stupid? How about hypocrisy? There are some idiots at work who need this cure poured onto their tiny little worthless brains.

*sigh*

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't, but if anyone ever does find said cure for stupid/hypocrisy, for the love of creezus, sell me a box of about 150 doses preferably equipped so I can administer them at long range. Kthnx.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
ION, has anyone found a cure for stupid? How about hypocrisy? There are some idiots at work who need this cure poured onto their tiny little worthless brains.

*sigh*

Ah, sounds like you're having the same kind of day that I am.

The only cure for stupid is permanent. And often messy...

Neither of these is a problem.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The worse part is people who don't want to work yet stick around anyways. They are unreliable, but know just how to play it so they aren't totally crossing the line (and when they do nudge over a line, they know just how to weasel out of it.)

Worthless.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
The worse part is people who don't want to work yet stick around anyways. They are unreliable, but know just how to play it so they aren't totally crossing the line (and when they do nudge over a line, they know just how to weasel out of it.)

Worthless.

They're like grifters too lazy to engage in actual criminal behavior.

I'm choosing to ignore them and focus on the people of worth. Or those who amuse me, for they are priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.