Do you listen to music when reading?

otterman

Word Voyeur
Registered
Reaction score
I'm someone who likes quiet background music when reading and, for years, have put something on to add to the experience. But something uncanny occurred about a year ago while I was reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I had just purchased Ron Sexsmith's Time Being cd and listened to it as I started the first book. It's a beautiful album and I found myself playing it night after night. I soon realized that the cd was a perfect soundtrack for the books. I don't mean Sexsmith's cd just has the similar flavor or atmosphere, I mean it is made for Pullman's books. The songs seem to tell the story.
I'm interested in knowing if you listen to music when you read and if you've ever had an experience like mine.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Never.

I'm a musician; when I listen to music I listen. When I read, I read. Can you imagine getting a new CD by your favorite band, then choosing a book to read while you listen to it?

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music while I read. I sometimes also watch TV, have conversations with my wife and various other things.

Reading is what I do when I can't clear away all the outside distractions that would disturb me if I was writing.

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
I can play music in the background while I read, but I can't listen to it while reading. Unless it's seriously obnoxious it doesn't even register while I'm reading -- I mean, not at all. It becomes absolute white noise. So there's really no point... If I want to listen to a new CD and read a new book in one afternoon, I have to schedule them separately, as experience has taught me, or I'll only hear the very beginning of the very first song. At least, if the book's any good. Otherwise it might go the other way.

Reaction score
No, never. When I read I want peace and quiet. If I read while listening to music (or try to) my attention is divided between the two and neither gets the amount it deserves to truly be appreciated.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I used to when I was younger, which has led to some odd associations, particularly of being strongly reminded of Dune when I hear Five Star's The Slightest Touch. I used to need the radio on when I did homework, for example, but now, I can't concentrate at all on reading or writing if I have music on.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Seldom when I read, but always while writing. The type of music I listen to is not distracting, and in the background it subtly creates the mood I need to put myself inside the story.

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
90% of my first drafts are written outside the house. I find it fun, interesting and helpful to write in places that are similar to where my scene is taking place. I've written in restaurants, police stations, bus stations, on city transportation, in parks, residential neighborhoods, lobbys of corporations, museums, sculpture gardens, and, even on the Greyhound Bus! I bought a ticket and went to the next state over for lunch and came back, writing during the trip. Being in a similar environment a scene takes place in helps me write it better and allows me to live life instead of staying cooped-up at home living the typical solitary lifestyle writing tends to offer.

I do my editing and rewrites at home though. That's where I need the solitude and peace and quiet. No music.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I can't. It's hard for me to write with outside distractions let alone read with them. What ends up happening is my brain will try to split between the two and I'll read half a paragraph and hear half a song verse and I'll just get confused with both and it'll be a big mess. Silence for reading and writing.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I'll tolerate music if someone else is playing it, but I never listen to it myself while reading. If it has lyrics it distracts me, if it's instrumental it tends to send me into daydreams (or naptime, depending on how tired I am). Ideally, the only sound I hear when reading is the turning of the pages. Well, and the cat purring/snoring. Yes, he really does snore. Loudly.

~DragonHeart~