The Past Upfront

Does the book you're currently reading delve into the protag's past

• In the first chapter?

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Not until the second chapter, or beyond?

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I needed the information for the story to make sense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it bogged down the story and I didn't like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Choose any published novel: the one you're currently reading, your favorite, one that has stuck with you, whatever ... and tell whether or not the first chapter includes any device (flashback / memory / dialogue) that gives information about something that happened in the past. How about the second chapter? How much info is it, and how is it done?

PhoenixSaga

Registered
Reaction score
Since you mentioned that no one had responded. I thought I would find your post and respond. I see your's has the memories too. Well. since we just discussed the Evening, that was my most recent. She obviously did. I have The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. The first chapter is actually in first person and she discusses several past events including her death. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my favorites and the prologue doesnt but the first chapter sneeks in a few memories about the past, not in dialogue, or flash back but just train of thought. I had seen in one of your other posts that you are reading a book that says not to do it. I guess if it is done right it should be okay. I know Steven King does it quite a bit I haven't read one of his in a while so I dont remember if it was in the first chapter or not, but I remember sometimes getting lost in the flash backs at times in his earlier books. Love him though! I know my first chapter has them too. I tell you. I get lost with all of the do's and don'ts and then seeing published don'ts. Good luck with this!

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Since you mentioned that no one had responded. I thought I would find your post and respond. I see your's has the memories too. Well. since we just discussed the Evening, that was my most recent. She obviously did. I have The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. The first chapter is actually in first person and she discusses several past events including her death. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my favorites and the prologue doesnt but the first chapter sneeks in a few memories about the past, not in dialogue, or flash back but just train of thought. I had seen in one of your other posts that you are reading a book that says not to do it. I guess if it is done right it should be okay. I know Steven King does it quite a bit I haven't read one of his in a while so I dont remember if it was in the first chapter or not, but I remember sometimes getting lost in the flash backs at times in his earlier books. Love him though! I know my first chapter has them too. I tell you. I get lost with all of the do's and don'ts and then seeing published don'ts. Good luck with this!

Hi, Babs. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort! I completely forgot that Evening deals with the past right from the start, and of course, so does The Lovely Bones. I haven't read The Shell Seekers, but I've always meant to. I read one of her others, a big family saga with a flowery cover, but the title escapes me at the moment.

I don't know what to tell you about the rules. As far as I can tell, it's all subjective. I'm still trying to find something that works.