• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Digital Publishing Expert (Marlene Diaz)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
A publisher you'd want to work with doesn't need to scour PM for authors. They already know authors who want to work with them, because they have experience and a track record.

Big or small, if they have no connections they're probably best avoided.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
That's the wrong question. Why would said foolish, desperate writer do this? What has foolish, desperate writer done to have this as his choice?

-Has he edited the manuscript until it shines?

-Has he sent it to a few trusted & honest readers?

-Has he developed a query letter with people who are willing to help (as in AW's Query Letter Hell?)

-Or has he thoroughly researched small presses that accept unagented submissions?

-Or has he thoroughly researched what self-publishing will offer him and demand of him?

If the answer to these questions is 'no', then the hypothetical writer really needs to examine why he's desperate. If it's that he's impatient or tired of rejection, that's not really the path to success.

I've done all of the above and started the self publishing route. My rejections have all been the same "Love the writing, love the idea, but that genre is too full right now--so what else have you got?"

While I am working on the "what else" this dropped in my lap and I was wondering about the viability.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I've done all of the above and started the self publishing route. My rejections have all been the same "Love the writing, love the idea, but that genre is too full right now--so what else have you got?"

While I am working on the "what else" this dropped in my lap and I was wondering about the viability.

I'm not sure why you'd describe yourself as desperate if you're getting such positive responses.

I say focus your efforts on the what else. You've got open doors with agents who asked to see your future work. Can't start querying a new novel on a much better foot than that. :)

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you are right of course, but then again all of the nice things said without an offer still amount to the same thing...no offer. LOL! YOu are right, just that this game can get a bit frustrating.

Here are a few of my typical rejections:
Many thanks for your submission. I have so enjoyed the premise of your work and believe it will easily find an audience.

As an agency, we’re excited by the growth we’ve experienced and look forward to continued advancement. Still, we’ve made the decision to slow down and will sign very few new clients in the coming months so that we may fully serve our authors.

Therefore, I wish you the best as you continue your search for representation. I do hope you'll keep in touch - I'd like to know how this piece goes.

The bad news is that vampires are so overdone right now that I can't
see taking this on as a project. But I really like your writing style,
and I think readers would connect with the real-world grounding of
your work. Are you working on anything else?

I cannot say anything negative about the agents. They have been very nice to me and have been very supportive and their kind words have kept me plugging away. It is just that, after a while, you feel like the jilted lover, "You are an awsome guy and you have so much to offer, but I can't ever date you." LOL. "It's not you, it's me."

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well, for one thing, that web address won't open in Firefox. That doesn't seem promising.
That's just because of the extra stuff in the email, some java code or something to open the link instead of the standard http thing. It's just an artifact of copy-paste, though I think at this point everyone has figure out that it's not a "bad domain" with a virus or anything.
Ms. Diaz started her Twitter account 5 days ago. This is not a red flag as far as her intentions, it's just something to think about when looking to sell your work.
At least the web domain is older than that - it was created almost a month ago, May 25:
http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=digitalpublishingexpert.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Gone now. Last activity Jan '13.