Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're all thinking of you, Sassy, and your knee and its surgery. Well, more about your head than your knee. I've never had much of a conversation with your knee.

Go, NaNo-ers, go!

Maryn, not well-served by the cheerleader outfit

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Sassy!! Keep us posted!

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about this. I'm only 1600 words into this thing and one of the characters has already decided his name is Mike, not Monty.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beat them! That's what I do.

BTW, I don't really expect to hear from Sassy today. I'm going to assume everything's all right and we'll see her soon enough.

Maryn, back from a lovely autumn walk

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about this. I'm only 1600 words into this thing and one of the characters has already decided his name is Mike, not Monty.
Those pesky characters. Why won't they just fall in line?
:ROFL:

I have yet to start mine. I can't write in the morning. I get my best ideas while I'm at work daydreaming during the day so I have to wait till I get home. Probably should have written something at midnight since I'm a nightowl but decided to wait. I did check out the NaNo forums.

There's a 19 year old girl in the 30-40's NaNo group asking the rest of us what it was like to grow up in the late 80's and 90's since her characters have flashbacks. I told her that it was required by law back then for us to watch movies like The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Saint Elmos Fire, etc. lol. I also told her to watch a few 80's comedies and she'll get the drift. Ah, memories.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i am home from the hospital, i've been snoozing msot of the day. hubby is trying to heat up dinner and burned something. I keep telling him not to worry about it that i burn things too but he's frustrated. I hugged him and told him how much I appreciate him. my wiggly puppy Hoshi doesn't understand not to wiggle on the couch with me. Leela has always had a sense about these things.

I am glad to be home.

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome home, Sass - I'm glad everything went well!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're home. Are you drugged out of your mind, or able to write, or somewhere in between? IIRC, you said you'd do NaNo, or at least give an extra writing push, but that was before the knee, right?

Maryn, who has two knees

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Word count as of last night 1803.

Awesome!! I made the daily quota, but not by much. For once, my tendency to overwrite is helping me out. Although I really hope nothing happens to me this month. The worst thing I can imagine is someone finding this mess and thinking it's actually an example of my writing. This not going back and editing is killing me. I tend to never write "I drove to the store" during the first draft. Instead it's "I walked out my front door and down the driveway to the car. Opened the car door, got in the car, closed the car door, put on my seatbelt...." etc etc ad nauseum. It's so awful. But it is helping my word count. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Grr, that's a bonus!

Maryn, chuckling

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not as if you had any other plans for this month, is it, pandora?

Maryn, ducking

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Well done, Nano-ers. I'm wishing I didn't have this stupid job and freelance hunt so I could just spend any given month doing 6 pages a day. (Script writers don't count words :D but that's basically the Nano equivalent.) Guess a tolerable or mildly satisfying career is just another unattainable privilege like...everything else.

Sass, glad you're home and doing OK.

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the dark green paint job I did awhile ago - to bring out the tile color in an otherwise pale master bath. It still needs some touch-ups around the edges.
DSCN0380.jpg

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That looks nice, Mr. Fizz. I don't have a good bathtub. If I bring my own towels and bubbles, can I use yours?

We've had a number of crappy-construction house issues recently in addition to the bathrooms needing to be gutted.

Yesterday I pulled the handle of the silverware drawer and the drawer front came off in my hand, which was not prepared for the weight, and the corner swung down and hit my foot. Amazingly enough, I had shoes on (me, not barefoot?), or I've have been bruised at least. Turns out the cabinets are all particle board with a veneer, and our leaky faucet from last summer soaked into the it and made it swell until the joint failed on one side, and the weight of the falling drawer front undid the joint on the other side. We havin' fun yet?

We talk about what it would take to do all the repairs needed, about whether we could do any of the work ourselves, whether we could live here while contractors did it. (Only if we did not need to us the upstairs or a bathroom, ever.) And we talk about leaving the area when Mr. Maryn retires. Maybe we just fix what's unbearable and sell this lousy place.

Maryn, frustrated by low quality materials and workmanship

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
I love that, Fizz! And I love the tub. We have one of those old-fashioned, claw-footed jobs that sound really good in theory. In reality, they're a nightmare.

Maryn, I'm sorry to hear about your house issues. I know the feeling of everything being wrong. The house we're in right now, which is a rental, is awful. I'm so ready to buy. But I can say - now that I've lived in this house, I know a lot more about what I want and what to look for when we do buy something. So there's that, I guess.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're giving serious consideration to spending about twice what this house cost might sell for, which puts us in a stratum where sales are very slow and there are bargains to be had. Of course, we're not ready to buy now. By the time we are, I hope to god the economy is better for us all, even if it means I get less house.

Although I still want this house, which I've had my eye on for twenty years. It's been for sale for over a year, maybe even two, but they've only dropped the price once. It's still way over what we'd consider, but it's so cool! I want to read on those porches all summer long.

Maryn, with house lust

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is a cool house, Maryn. I love porches.

Funny thing about my tub. It's a Jacuzzi (actual brand), but we seldom turn on the jets. I'm just not much of a bath person. It does fit two people, though, so my bath attitude could change with the right company.

Status
Not open for further replies.