Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
Another thread may be heading cornfield-wards soon:

I am thrilled to learn my book has been published by PA and am waiting to receive the actual 1st copy in my hand. Any idea how long that may be? It's been a week and I am anxiously waiting as I want to order more books, but want to make sure the 1st copy is exact and with no unexpected gross errors that PA says does happen on occasion.

On quite a few occasions, so it seems. But never fear: PA will correct them for you for a mere $99. But you didn't pay to be published!

Another author replies:

I made last minute revisions since I didn't realize that they don't edit anything. So it took 2 weeks to get the editing fixed and then another 2 to see my book. I spent the $50 that they offer you, whether it mattered or not, to see my book as soon as I could… I also wondered what errors were still missed as I waited for it to come. If there are any missed they do deals where you can change them later.

But you didn't pay to be published!

Perhaps most tragically of all, the thread starter's sign-off is:

My dream has come true! I am a published author!

So maybe the glimmerings of realisation aren't as overt as I first thought.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32398

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Uh-oh. This newbie's first post won't last.

# 1 My first book didn't come, PA sent it to the wrong address even though I called and wrote to change the address 3 times.

# 2, 21 books I ordered and paid for also went to that address too.

That address is a Arabic owned UPS that wants many months back rent before they will give me my mail that there holding hostage. I cancelled there service 6 months ago.

#3 When I turned in the finial, Patrick sent the proof back writing make a list of mistakes, he'll fix them. He didn't. He wrote he had and it was going to print.

# 4 PA gave me 3 chances to make changes to the oringinal e mail scrambled transcipt. But I didn't have a book yet. They sent it to the wrong address.

#5 Two weeks later I received 50 books I ordered under another order. Thats when I realized the book was all messed up.

#6 On 5/13/19 I sent a email to Kristen stating these things and havent gotten a responce. Other letters before.

Half the time PA doesn't anser e mails. Half the time they don't anser the phone or return messages. Now what.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
with no unexpected gross errors that PA says does happen on occasion.

Uh-huh. Just like storms only ever rip through Tornado Alley "on occasion."

Half the time PA doesn't anser e mails. Half the time they don't anser the phone or return messages. Now what.

A trip to the cornfield for YOU.

PA doesn't want to hear from Negative Nellys. So hush up and be grateful we made you a Published Author! Now, apologize!

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Another one bound for the cornfield:

Yes, publishers do market, vanity presses do not; nor do any self publishing houses. Even though small publishers don't have the funds to do all of the promotions, they do a lot more than a vanity press.
The writer helps to promote the book by doing book signings, interviews, etc. Commercial publishers spend thousands of dollars on marketing. That is why it is so very difficult to get accepted with them, and usually with an agent selling the work for you. Vanity presses, whether they charge up front fees or add their production costs to the price of books plus shipping, don't do the marketing, or the promotion. Some might offer that as a service you pay for, but most don't.

Commercial publishers also offer large discounts to bookstores, and have books reviewed before they go to print. Vanity presses or self publishing houses don't. They rely on you getting your own reviews after the book is in print.
I don't believe I've ever heard of big name authors doing their own marketing. Promotions such as book signings, speaking events, etc., are usually set up by the publisher and the author only has to show up. The books will also be provided for those events by the publisher at no cost to the author. They aren't required to bring their own books to these events either.

Commercial publishers don't advertise their services with online ads. They expect that a writer will do their research as well as read, and follow their submission guidelines.

I'm not saying their isn't a need for vanity or self publishing houses, just that with those you don't get marketing or promotion for your work like you do with big name publishers.

Good luck to all.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32142

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Commercial publishers spend thousands of dollars on marketing. That is why it is so very difficult to get accepted with them, and usually with an agent selling the work for you.

Um--it's a big help is one's book IS actually ready for commercial publication.

Just because the writer is ready to be published doesn't mean the work is ready.

Dear PA Lurkers,

If your book was rejected by a commercial house, there's probably a good reason for it. You may not want to hear that, but it's part of the job. You can let PA feed you more double-speak crap or put on your game face and turn pro for real.

Join AW, get some beta-readers to give you feedback, and start playing with the big kids, not those lame clowns at PA.

What's better for your career--you selling books out of the back of your car with relatives making pity buys or you walking into any bookstore in the country and seeing your title on the shelf, knowing you didn't have to beg for that space?

Having enjoyed the latter pleasure myself for many years, I can let you know this is a no-brainer.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score

Now you write another book, make it so good that people will willingly hand over their money to be allowed to read it, and then send it to a real agent or publisher.

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME! I hope it lasts long enough to make an impact.

Yes, publishers do market, vanity presses do not; nor do any self publishing houses. Even though small publishers don't have the funds to do all of the promotions, they do a lot more than a vanity press.
The writer helps to promote the book by doing book signings, interviews, etc. Commercial publishers spend thousands of dollars on marketing. That is why it is so very difficult to get accepted with them, and usually with an agent selling the work for you. Vanity presses, whether they charge up front fees or add their production costs to the price of books plus shipping, don't do the marketing, or the promotion. Some might offer that as a service you pay for, but most don't.

Commercial publishers also offer large discounts to bookstores, and have books reviewed before they go to print. Vanity presses or self publishing houses don't. They rely on you getting your own reviews after the book is in print.
I don't believe I've ever heard of big name authors doing their own marketing. Promotions such as book signings, speaking events, etc., are usually set up by the publisher and the author only has to show up. The books will also be provided for those events by the publisher at no cost to the author. They aren't required to bring their own books to these events either.

Commercial publishers don't advertise their services with online ads. They expect that a writer will do their research as well as read, and follow their submission guidelines.

I'm not saying their isn't a need for vanity or self publishing houses, just that with those you don't get marketing or promotion for your work like you do with big name publishers.

Good luck to all.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
A newbie is confused:

I am new author and I am not understanding when everyone is talking about making contact with the bookstores. It appears that we must contact them about carrying out books online?? PA doesn't present us to them? If I need to reach out to them I would greatly appreciate knowing how you went about this.

You're in for a nasty surprise, my friend.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score

Good luck to all.

Hmm, looks like someone is getting banned from the PA message board.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Something I'd like to ask a PA author who buys the 'only the big publishers market' line.

How do they think the medium and small pubs stay in business?

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like somebody got a "tone letter" demanding that they apologise in public for privately suggesting to PA that some corrections may not have been implemented:

I made two lists of corrections on the finial proof and sent in the wrong one. Then accused PA of not makeing the changes. SORRY.

In my defence I was hit with a lot of Radiation that night from Three Mile Island and sort of got in real bad shape. I used to live a mile away. They opened the containment center and released more radiation in one weekend than allowed in three months. Over 200 rems an hour / over 40 rems an hour average for 72 hours. 2880 + allowed is 1800 over three months.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32404&sid=9aa80d7861c814d3583d87692ded1096

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com

Good luck to all.

Amazingly it has lasted more then a day! Perhaps the forum cop has left due to lack of or bouncing of payment.
Or, it's gone over the PA police heads. It's not as obvious a put down (unless you know that PA is a Vanity press) as those posts that ask where are my books that I paid for 3 months ago and why are there still so many spelling errors after I coughed up $99 bucks to get rid of them.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made two lists of corrections on the finial proof and sent in the wrong one. Then accused PA of not makeing the changes. SORRY.

In my defence I was hit with a lot of Radiation that night from Three Mile Island and sort of got in real bad shape. I used to live a mile away. They opened the containment center and released more radiation in one weekend than allowed in three months. Over 200 rems an hour / over 40 rems an hour average for 72 hours. 2880 + allowed is 1800 over three months.

Dear Three Mile Island:

How dare you irradiate one of our customers. Because of this major inconvenience, they may not be able to accept one of our Special Offers and Miranda may not be able to pay her stable fees on time. We demand you apologize at once for your foolish behavior.

Sincerely,

:e2stooges

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Dear Three Mile Island:

How dare you irradiate one of our customers. Because of this major inconvenience, they may not be able to accept one of our Special Offers and Miranda may not be able to pay her stable fees on time. We demand you apologize at once for your foolish behavior.

Sincerely,

:e2stooges

^^^

:roll:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?p=326054#326054

[name redacted],
[name redacted] want you to make contact with her. She is having problems logging on the message board.

Anyone want to take a guess why the author is having trouble logging into the message board? I don't think the offer of off-board communication is going to go over well with infocenter.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Why would you make two separate lists of corrections? When I've done errata - it's all on one list. I don't have an A list and B list.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Ya see, I wrote this book and I may have some errors in it, but some of the errors aren't really that bad (they're just kind of bad). I made two lists because list A contains the ones I really, really want changed and list B contains the ones most people will overlook. You do know that most people who read books don't really care about spelling and punctuation and grammar, right? Alls you have to do is have a good plot. I know this because PublishAmerica told me so. They wouldn't lie. They're God-fearing, flag-waving Americans, and don't you say no different.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
PA has a new friend.

As always, it's a honeymooner, but with some interesting things to say in reply to the post about how vanity presses don't market your books.

Vanity presses do not send out press releases of any kind. Vanity presses do not help you set up book signings.

This is similar to "Vanity presses charge up front. PA doesn't charge up front. Therefore PA is not a vanity press."

It costs PA nothing to send out their stock press release, and it continues to maintain the illusion for those who want to buy into it. Plus, what about all the times PA hasn't sent out the release or hasn't helped authors get signings?

PA helps you do both of those, and with out any cost to you. I see your thinly attacking PA in this post. PA is a hybrid publishing house, and it's superior to true vanity presses.

"Hybrid publishing house"? Not a "traditional publisher"?

Maybe he means it's a hybrid of 10% actual publisher and 90% vanity press.

It's superior to LuLu, or create a space which are vanity presses as well. None of those will help you promote your work.

PA helps you promote your work?

Is PA slower then other publishers that help promote your work? Yes, but it doesn't claim to be one of the big 6, nor does it have the resources to be.

It actually claims to be "the Nation's number one book publisher!!" Right there on the website.

But I agree that it doesn't have the resources to be anything more than the nation's slush pile.

PA is good for any author that wants a break in this life.

A break from writing, since you'll be too busy promoting, begging PA for answers and beating the streets in search of a store that will give you a signing.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I always wonder why none of the new voices on the PAMB wonder what happened to the "old" voices. So few people post there (probably low double digits), that it has to seem strange to someone who believes there are 40K happy authors with PA.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Same poster, different thread.

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?p=326075#326075

Read this and tell me it doesn't look like some of it's full of intentional mistakes, almost to the point of irony.

I'm a new PA author here as well. It's nice to meet you. Well here's the bad news... Most of the world out there is filled with miss information about PA. In fact the first time I ever heard about it was at another site that was screaming they were a scam. Of course being a baby author at the time I believed them.

It wasn't till a lot later that I actually did my own research and realized that the most of the crap being said about them is what I like to call the mob mentality. Basically one or two people start sniveling about what happened to them. They do this till they find some one else pissed off about some thing thy perceived as a problem. Before you know it, these people snowball into other people who think they have a problem and they join in.

In the end you have to look at a few things. Most of the arguments are from people who have no idea what they signed or who they signed up with. So they come into this contract thinking one of the big 6 publishers have just signed them, and their about to become the next JK Rowling of the world.

So people find back ass ways to make PA appear to be some thing they aint. I came into this contract with my eyes open knowing full well what I was doing. I could of went to Create a space, or lulu. But there just self publishing company's, that do absolutely nothing for you. If you want them to do anything they charge you for it. Lots of people are pissed at them too, but they have enough fan boys shouting everyone down so it's difficult to hear them.

If you wanted a large advance, and a big promotional arm of a giant company, then you needed to be picked up by one of the big 6, or even a smaller press like penguin. The problem is, first you have to get by the gate keepers. There called agents. Even if you do that, you still most likely wont get published because 98% of all manuscripts are rejected, because they don't think it's worth the risk. they want to make money, and like stocks, they go for something that looks a lot like the last big winner, or that comes with a lot of pre-sales, because your famous.

PA is not a vanity press because they do everything for free. They design your cover. They send out press releases to to the stores and papers you want, they help you get book signings. What is there to hate about them? People say oh they make you buy your own books. So do the big publishers. They may give you more free copies then PA, but they have more money. Anyways theres a short explination to some of your questions. this is getting long enough.

I'm wondering if this guy is as "pro-PA" as he's trying to sound. The "there/they're/their" flip flops read intentional to me. (And since when is Penguin a small press????)