The Talisman - Stephen King and Peter Straub

Fox The Cave

I get cancer. I kill Jack.
Registered
Reaction score
Just bought this book about three days ago and am currently enjoying it very much! I'm only on page 130 though - Jack just had a confrontation with Osmond and realized that he was White Suit. I hope the story continues as strongly as its started - the beginning has been well written and powerful, and I love the characters. Lots of suspense too - many unanswered questions.

Anybody else enjoying or has enjoyed this book? Please don't spoil the plot if you do, I want to read it fresh.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I read it so long ago I have only the vaguest recollection. I do remember liking it very much, though.

Fox The Cave

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished it today, and now I can definetly recommend it.

Excellent, if very long and meandering, book.

Fox The Cave

Registered
Reaction score
My favourite character was probably Speedy - but I loved the way Jack developed throughout the book. Comparing him in the beginning to how he is in, say, the Sunlight Home is shocking - you never notice until you take a step back just how much he changed.

Addicted To Writing

I read that book when I was a child. It is one of my favorite books by Stephen King. I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King. I received it in the mail yesterday.

Last edited:

Fox The Cave

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to buy and read Black House soon - I want to give myself a small break between the two epics though. Read some smaller books in between.

Does anyone else find it annoying how a lot of people act as though Stephen King just wrote the books though? As if Peter Straub is too insignificant to exist?

FoxTheCave! FoxTheCave! Right here and now!

*Looks at crowd of baffled people*

Coolred38

Hello all

I really enjoyed reading The Talisman...its a story that takes u through everything the lead character is experiencing...and u experience it too....u feel like ur right there with Jack from begining to end....definitely one of his best works.

I didnt like the Black House though...or rather the ending...it just seemed a whole lot of buildup and then a dud climax...i remember being disappointed when I finished that book...and thats a rare thing for a King novel.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed both collaborative efforts - though I caution, "Black House" is a much different tale than the "Talisman." Also, the sequel ties in much, much more heavily with the Dark Tower works, and if you haven't read those - which, ok, is unlikely - then it's going to make a lot less sense to you.

As for the ending - I liked the ending to "Black House"... though there was a bit to it that was a little bit of a downer. (No spoilers, just saying. You'll see when you get there.)

Like most collaborations, I can't really tell the two apart because, again like most collaborations I read, I'm only familiar with half the team.