Television Series Proposal

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a specific format for laying out the story arc of a proposed television series or miniseries to show a producer?

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a specific format for laying out the story arc of a proposed television series or miniseries to show a producer?

Is this for a dramatic series (as opposed to a reality series)?

If so, then yes.

But there isn't a specific accepted format.

Generally you want a pitch page, outlining the concept in a nutshell. Then you want to a series bible, which is generally between 5-40 pages, outlining all the episodes and the main and continuing characters.

Most of the time you need to have written both the pilot episode and the second episode, but sometimes the pilot is enough.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

You need, generally, a pilot and a pitch, like a page of outline, like a synopsis for a book. Most packets also contain a couple of specs, but if you've got someone specific you're pitching something specific to, you probably just need the stuff relating to it.

I've never heard of a bible as being written before a show is containing the entire theoretical arc by episode. What if a show were picked up for more seasons than in the plan? The bible is added to as the show goes along, for referential purposes, afaik.

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of a bible as being written before a show is containing the entire theoretical arc by episode. What if a show were picked up for more seasons than in the plan? The bible is added to as the show goes along, for referential purposes, afaik.

They're being used now, or at least a version of them, for limited series (4-8 episodes).

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, this would be for a dramatic series. So, is the bible written in the same way as a novel outline?

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, this would be for a dramatic series. So, is the bible written in the same way as a novel outline?

No. It's a different entity. No correlation whatsoever. Producers are looking at a pitch in terms of casting, locations and budget -- not just dramatic arcs. You might want to Google search for "television series bible" and find one that resonates with you. If you have a specific producer you're pitching to, you might want to ask what form they prefer.

99% of the time, you absolutely need to have the pilot written unless the pitch is a concept pitch and the company you're pitching to has specifically told you that they want to brainstorm the pilot elements.

Do you have a 52-67 page pilot written?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, no pilot written. I was just exploring a possibility.

Unless you're a known entity or it's a concept pitch specifically, I'd say you really need a pilot.

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I concur with Cornflake. UNLESS the producer you're pitching to is a family friend or close relative.