So what's for dinner?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Went to the tapas place and had a succession of winning dishes: avocado & beets on toast, goat cheese with honey on toast, tortilla espanola, spinach with pine nuts & raisins, and a marinated tuna tartare. Plus sangria. Dessert was delish too (I had arroz con leche, my friend a crema catalana) but I think I'll skip it next time -- too much good food is still too much.

J.J.PITTS

Registered
Reaction score
Steamed veggies and a venison Manwich, well, four of them. ;)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Mmm, good venison is good.

Tomorrow's dinner (marinating now) is my chocolate chicken adobo, which started out as someone's online recipe for a Filipino staple, but got mangled together with a chocolate brownie recipe (by a blogger with no proofing skills). By the time I'd figured out 'Hey, there are two recipes here!', I just gave up and made the thing. It's basically a vinegar soy sauce adobo with dark chocolate powder, ginger, and cinnamon base. Family favorite now.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What's NOT for dinner:
Earlier this week I cooked up a small pack of chicken thighs in a jar of Leek Truffle braising sauce I had gotten at William Sonoma a while ago & recently excavated from the back of the cupboard. It sounded pretty tasty, but turned out to be extremely salty & otherwise somewhere between bland & blah. (I don't know if they still carry it, but I don't recommend it.) There was a lot of sauce relative to the meat (probably meant for a bigger package of chicken) so I figured I could improve & stretch the leftovers by cooking it up with some rice.

As it happened, though, the rice has scorched on the bottom. Not badly -- it actually turned out sort of like the crispy bits in a Persian rice dish, which I like. But it definitely didn't improve the leftovers. They remain quite unappealing, in fact - age just made them saltier and blah-er. So I have used the excuse of scorched rice to declare the whole mess dead, and I have disposed of it.

In its place, I think dinner tonight may be yogurt. Or a bowl of Cheerios. Or maybe an egg. I will be happy and frugal at the same time.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I would love to figure out how to intentionally do a proper soccarat/rice crust instead of having it happen accidentally when I cook rice sometimes. Especially if I ever buy myself stone pots for bimibap.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Baked Salmon (that has been marinating in dill, lemon and lime juice)
Brown Rice (with garlic and herb butter)
And yes, Brussels Sprouts (halved, seasoned and sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and oven-roasted)

J.J.PITTS

Registered
Reaction score
Jambalaya!
Oh, I love it!

After a day spent building new chicken and turkey nests, rebuilding chicken tractors, I was tuckered. The wife was at school in her classroom and I was met with no resistance when I texted her the idea of frozen pizza. Not sure what kind it is, don't care.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Homemade meatballs! (with fresh mushroom linguine from a local purveyor and more of my homemade roasted tomato sauce)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I love it!

After a day spent building new chicken and turkey nests, rebuilding chicken tractors, I was tuckered. The wife was at school in her classroom and I was met with no resistance when I texted her the idea of frozen pizza. Not sure what kind it is, don't care.
J.J., what exactly is a chicken tractor and how do you steer them?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken breast marinated in olive oil white wine vinegar, mustard (keen's and seeds), honey, dill from the garden, garlic then grilled. Served with grilled onions and cherry tomatoes from the garden (this is our winter bounty: dill and tiny tomatoes). Served with a yogurt dill, mustard, honey sauce and crusty white bread and butter.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Chicken breast marinated in olive oil white wine vinegar, mustard (keen's and seeds), honey, dill from the garden, garlic then grilled. Served with grilled onions and cherry tomatoes from the garden (this is our winter bounty: dill and tiny tomatoes). Served with a yogurt dill, mustard, honey sauce and crusty white bread and butter.

That sounds scrumptious. How much mustard do you use? Dijon or dry yellow?

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds scrumptious. How much mustard do you use? Dijon or dry yellow?
Lots. Both! I didn't measure anything, but I'd guess it was around 1 tbsp of Keens dry mustard, and 1-2 tsp of prepared Dijon, plus 1 tbsp of Maille whole grain Dijon, and 1-2 tsp honey in about 3 tbsp vinegar with 2 tbsp oil whisked in with 2 tbsp dill and 5 cloves garlic. I'd use less honey next time though.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Cooking for two tonight. A halibut fillet topped with shrimps, marinated in a little soy sauce, fresh squeezed orange juice and a light dusting of some standard grocery "seafood seasoning", wrapped in two large leaves of swiss chard and baked in the oven for about 25 minutes at 400 degrees F. And a package long grain and wild rice pilaf, with added diced scallions, crimini mushrooms and sunchoke, cooked on stovetop via standard package directions.

caw

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Ice cream, strawberries soaked in grandmarnier and sugar, and nillas.

Yes, for dinner. Because I'm a grown up.