The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James D Macdonald

Re: I just finished "Ten Percent Of Nothing"....

Thanks again, Jim, I owe ya! And Ann, I am now a huge fan of yours to boot...

You're welcome, Ed. And I've been a fan of Ann's for years myself.

Oh, do you want to thank us in the best possible way?

Read our books.

I'm glad you liked Ten Percent of Nothing, and I hope everyone here buys a copy for themselves. It's eye-opening. Have you reviewed it over at Amazon yet?

(Suggestion for everyone -- if you buy a copy of Ten Percent of Nothing, ISBN 0-8093-2575-6, do so through your local bookstore. And when you're done with it, donate it to your local library. Get the word out where new writers who aren't on the internet can find it.)

priceless1

I just finished "Ten Percent Of Nothing"....

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>It should scare the hell out of any prospective PA author, and should totally piss off those already in the fold.<hr></blockquote>
Well said, Ed. These tactics do sound strangely and frighteningly familiar.

Ed Williams 3

Thanks Jim, Lynn....

Jim, I did post a review of "Ten Percent of Nothing" over on Amazon, and I will take you up on your offer and read some of yours and Ann's stuff. I have a little epistle out as well these days called "Rough As A Cob" - if you decide you need to read something with no literary value, you might want to give it a try. :snoopy

Y'all take care, and I think I will donate my copy of "Ten Percent of Nothing" to the local library here. It might save some new author down the road a lot of money and heartaches.

KW

Hmmmmm?

This was in the "Stop and read before posting about PA" thread. Ed Wiliams posted this in reply to what HB said at the PA MB about my 30 page repeat I sent them.

"THIS IS A FABRICATION TO MAKE PA LOOK BAD.
So now he says 'I' wrote this because he can see his house and belongings flushing along with his book sales.
-See, the problem is that if I don't reply, he can't erase the reply and leave my address coding in the message as the originator. I'm no dummy despite what Kevin thinks.

I have the original and Kevin, you are soooo busted. What kind of car do you drive? My family needs a second car. Kiss it goodbye for upsetting me."

So, is he saying that if PA sues me then he will get my car? Will PA just hand it over to him because he is a big cheerleader, when they only give him two books for free, or does it sound like somethng else. HB a PA employee? Don't know, but that is what it sounds like, at least to me.

Kevin

AC Crispin

Thanks, Ed!

Thank you very much for the kind words, Ed. I didn't do much regarding the Deerings except counsel victims, comfort them, put them in touch with each other, and advise them to take their case to the FBI en masse. Strength in numbers.

That was my first real "case." Writer Beware is a lot more pro-active these days, though we don't discuss our activities on these boards until the appropriate time.

Insofar as reading my books is concerned, I will have a new book out next August, Storms of Destiny, the first book in a brand-new original fantasy trilogy. I'm excited about it. Harper is publishing it.

I just finished editorial revisions on it, and it's a big, fat fantasy. (This is actually a recognized sub-genre these days.)

<grin>

Take care, and happy writing.

-Ann C. Crispin

FM St George

NYT ad again?

isn't it time for yet another ad by PA in the New York Times?

oh, how the time flies...

:p

James D Macdonald

Re: NYT ad again?

isn't it time for yet another ad by PA in the New York Times?

Coming on the 31st. Stand by for the PA Big Spenders' List Part II.

The interesting thing will be seeing if there's a December ad.

BeckEaston

Need PA Product Count ASAP

Can anyone confirm or deny how many books that Publish America currently has on their site? I need this information as soon as I can get it. I need a very accurate count. How would I go about obtaining this data?

Please help?

BeckEaston

I just got this in....

Adventure 566
Children's 421
Christmas 24
Cooking 30
Education 91
Family 141
Fantasy 414
Fiction 2387
Gaming 12
Hardcover Choices 94
Health 150
Historical Fiction 388
Historical Non-Fiction 101
Horror 141
Humor 189
Inspirational 481
Law Enforcement 51 ·
Mystery 166
Non-Fiction 737
Philosophy 113
Poetry 474
Romance 165
Science 26
Sci-Fi 245
Self-Help 383
Short Stories 123
Southern Fiction 83
Southern Non-Fiction 10
Spiritual 650
Sports 40
Suspense 584
Thriller 497
Western 50
Young Adult 394
Total as of 10/25/04 = 10,421

Now, if every book sold for an average of $10.00 per copy that would mean that they will receive $104,210.00 in profit. The average price is much higher than that, and some authors like Nancy sold over 1,000 copies. How much money do you think PA is making from their false promises? Who says they have to sell to anyone other than the authors. They're making a killing!

:smack

What will it take for you to stand up and fight? Please, sign the petition. [email protected]

BeckEaston

Now I am confused

Some books are listed in several places. Example it could be in mystery and romance etc or southern fiction and romance. A more accurate count would be from all the PA books on Amazon, which varies frequently but will include all except the most recently released. New count today is 6711. That does include all books from PA as in former and current authors.

I just now got this message in my inbox. Now, if PA has all these lists that are cross-referenced, how many actual books do they have? If 6711 is the true number then they have contracted 3,000 people in less than 6 months to get to their 9,000 happy author quote. I'm confused. Don't they have only 3 or 4 acquisition editors?

:ssh

Sher2

Re: Now I am confused

Now, if PA has all these lists that are cross-referenced, how many actual books do they have? If 6711 is the true number then they have contracted 3,000 people in less than 6 months to get to their 9,000 happy author quote. I'm confused. Don't they have only 3 or 4 acquisition editors?

I believe the number now being used is 12,000 happy authors. That would equate to 12,000 titles if you count those to be released in the near future. And, of course, you'd have to deduct the purported 1% of unhappy authors. Personally, I think the percentage is considerably higher than that.

DeePower

Number of PA titles

Amazon.com lists 6752 titles as of today. On May 21 amazon.com listed 3046 titles. That's an additional 3706 titles for the intervening five month time period. In a response to the Better Business Bureau they said they have 25 editors that provide editing services and acquisitions.

Think about that. Those 25 editors had to edit a little over a book per working day AND read 5 submitted manuscripts. Of course I'm using the 80% rejection rate that Miranda Prather says they use. (If they published 3046 titles and they only publish 20% of what is submitted, then there were about 18,000 manuscript submitted during that same time period).

Dee
www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

ncq13

Call to Action

Hi all! This is a reminder and a call for assistance regarding the petition. We need as many folks as possible to encourage those who have concerns about PA's practices to sign the petition.
* I know that some people are "afraid" of PA. Only Rebecca and the MD AG will know who has signed the petition.
*I am also aware of the shame factor. No one wants to admit that their publisher is famous for nafarious practices. As a PA author myself, I understand. Also, please keeep in mind that whether you take action or not, you will live under the black cloud of PA disgrace. At least if you take action you can take back some of your power and prevent others from being hurt. If you are out there and afraid or feeling ashamed, now is the time to take your life back.
Please, take a minute of your time and email Rebecca at: [email protected] or use the AW mail. (Be sure to tell her if you are under a "gag" order)
When you are done signing the petition, take another minute and email a few friends.
Together we CAN make a difference.
Thank you!
~Kate

James D Macdonald

Numbers and averages

Per Amazon there are 6,752 results for PublishAmerica, 29 for Publish America, 35 for Erica House, and 51 for AmErica House.

That's a total of 6,867 either out, or soon to be released.

Realizing that Amazon isn't perfect, of course.

Now, assume each book sells for $19.95. (I haven't checked lately, but at one time I found an average price for a full month's list, and it was $19.95)

I don't know the average page-length of a PA book, but I'll assume it's 300 pages.

Now we know that Lightning Source charges $0.013/page plus $0.90 for the cover. Cost of printing of the average 300 page book is $4.80/copy.

For various reasons that seem good to me, I'll assume that the average PA book sells 75 copies. (For every person who sells 150, someone else sells 0.)

We know that PA offers its authors a 30% discount. I will assume that most books are sold to the authors, therefore each book sells for $13.97. I'm not counting the cost of shipping at this time.

Each author gets an 8% royalty, but those royalties aren't paid on books the author buys himself, so I'm not counting those right now.

So: 6,867 * 75 = 515,025 total copies sold.

Cost of goods sold (printing) = $2,472,120

515,025 * 13.97 = $7,194,899.25 gross income.

$7,194,899.25 - 2,472,120 = $4,722,779.25 gross profit.

Now that is every penny that they can expect to see from those books, ever. Once they've filled their niche markets, that's all the potential squeezed out.

Let's play a little more. PA claims 65 employees. 65 at $10.00/hour for a 40 hour week, four weeks a month is a monthly payroll of $104,000, or $1,248,000 year. That's all the editing (such as it is), all the covers, monitoring the messageboard, taking phone orders, and so on.

Each book is worth 75 * ($13.97-$4.80) = $687.75. To cover payroll, PA has to release 1,815 books per year.

Amazon lists 3,219 books for PA for this year.

I can refigure this assuming the books sell to bookstores at a 40% discount, and the author gets 8% of that discounted price:

Each book brings in $11.97 minus author's royalty of $0.96 or $11.01, minus printing cost of $4.80, for $6.21 gross profit per book. PA would need to sell 200,966 books to cover payroll. At 75 copies per title, that's 2,680 titles that they'd have to publish in the year to cover payroll. Again, they published 3,219 this year.

So, I expect that in order to cover payroll and printing, they have to publish between 1,815 and 2,680 titles a year.

That gives them between $370,697 and $965,601 this year to pay for the townhouse, to give Willem, Larry, and Miranda a bit better pay than $10 an hour, pay taxes, rent phone lines, pay their ISP, and all the rest of the things that go into running a business.

No wonder they're scrambling for new authors, no wonder they're playing games like these New York Times ads to attempt to induce authors to buy more than those 75 copies. An awful lot is explained.

Risseybug

Re: Thanks Jim, Lynn....

That was a very interesting thread P&C. A good mix of the Stepford authors and those who can think for themselves. One person took offense to the survey. Ok, I can understand that. But then she says, to the note about how difficult it is for first time authors to become published:
"Excuse me, but aren't we all published?"

Ahhh... and there's the rub. No, my poor deluded soul, you have a book in print, but if you put that on a query letter and submit it to another publisher or agent, then in their eyes, you are NOT published. At least not "traditionally" - they'll consider it vanity published, if they consider it at all.

At least one PA pro person has got the powers that be figured out. He knows if PA doesn't like the thread, they'll come along and delete it.

We'll see how long the thread lasts.

ncq13

Up to their old tricks...

Some PA titles that are coming out are being listed under a new company's name. Now, I know they were AmErica House, etc. But, check this out:
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Swivel Hips, Pitiful, and Ugly Mug
Bonnie Gibson

ISBN: 1413733255
Format: Paperback, 60pp
Pub. Date: August 2004
Publisher: America House Book Publishers
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 559,649
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp skip to cartskip to cart
NEW FROM B&N
B&N Price: $12.95
Member Price: $12.30 Join>
Usually ships within 2-3 days

Is this just another AmErica House name or is PA preparing to reincarnate-- again?

James D Macdonald

Re: Up to their old tricks...

B&N has listed PublishAmerica books as America House right the way along. AmErica House is PA's old name.

ncq13

Thank you James. I wasn't sure if that was the case or not.

lindylou45

Why do they list Lightning Source as the publisher for some of their books? Example:

Cate Cavanagh
1. Gifts of the Spirit
ISBN: 1592868762 - Paperback - List Price: $19.95
Publisher: Lightning Source Inc
Author: Cate Cavanagh

Any ideas? This is definitely a PA book.

James D Macdonald

It's listed as a Lightning Source book because Lightning prints it. It's listed that way in the database.

(This is a problem that a lot of PoDs have, including honest ones, who find themselves grouped with the vanities and scammers. There's major bookstore reluctance to ordering books printed by Lightning.)

SimonSays

Re: NYT ad again?

Quote:
Coming on the 31st. Stand by for the PA Big Spenders' List Part II.

The interesting thing will be seeing if there's a December ad.

My prediction. If PA has signed substantially more authors than they normally sign during the time they run the ad, there will be more ads, even if 0 books are sold as a result of the ad. Afterall for PA, signing authors, not selling books is their marketing goal.

Also they may continue the ads - to keep their authors happy - IF the surge in author purchases in an effort to make the monthly list, covers the cost of running the ad.

If neither of those two things occur, then we will be bidding a fond adieu to PA's "partnership" with the venerable NY Times.

lindylou45

It's listed as a Lightning Source book because Lightning prints it. It's listed that way in the database.

Thanks once again for your help, James. It is very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.