The 90 Day Novel Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wentworth.Writes

Battling Procrastination daily.
Registered
Reaction score
I am, and has always been, a lazy person. This of course has seeped into my writing habits, making me a lazy, unproductive writer.

Don't get me wrong, I love writing, crafting stories, plotting and all that; it's the 'Butt in chair' thing that's been eluding me for a (long) while now.

Procrastination is the name of my game, though I'm not proud of it I still allow it to rule my actions and subsequently sabotaging my progress.

It's like shooting yourself in the foot, only instead of bullets I use Youtube, Facebook and other just as deadly sites.

But I have decided to give myself a kick in the arse and hopefully step up my game by issueing a challenge to myself.

I have 90 days to plot, outline and write a first draft of a novel.

I am currently on day five of the challenge, and the first two days I got a decent amount of plotting done, then for a day or so I slacked off a bit and looked for coo pictures I could (try) to make into a cover, though I still kept thinking about how to developing my plot, but away from Scrivener. And yesterday I sat down and began to write the first scene of my nove.

I think I clocked about 780 words - hardly a dent in my 100 000 word goal, but at least I've started.

Today I spent about an hour and a half making a 'not bad' cover to put up on Wattpad as I will be writing this book 'live'. Hopefully I'll get some feedback on plot, characters and the overall feel of the book.

I won't be editing (too much) as I write because there is no way I'll finish in 90 days at my pace, and 'Perfect never finishes'. :)

If anyone is interested I'm writing a YA Fantasy with plenty of suspense. And though I say fantasy, the fantasy part doesn't really come into play before the last third of the book, and the rest of the series. (Yes, I said series. I have ideas for about two or three more books, but who knows...?) Though I guess it could be called Urban Fantasy for the most part.

Please excuse my ramblings.

Anyway; A young girl is admitted into a psychiatric facility where the doctors seem more dangerous than her own delusions. She must find a way to escape before she disappears, just like the others.

That's my premise for the novel, please feel free to express your opinion wether it sounds enticing or just plain stupid.

Now, please excuse me. I fear I've already taken up enough of your time.

Have a nice day!

Love

Jo

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Yo, good luck with the challenge!
If you want this to be a thread of progress and stuff, perhaps the better place is in "Goals and Accomplishments".
I think when you edit the post there are small numbers in the code around the image, and fiddling with these changes the size.

Wentworth.Writes

Registered
Reaction score
Yo, good luck with the challenge!
If you want this to be a thread of progress and stuff, perhaps the better place is in "Goals and Accomplishments".
I think when you edit the post there are small numbers in the code around the image, and fiddling with these changes the size.

Thank you so much. I didn't even know that sub-forum existed.

It's been re-posted in the correct forum. Thanks. :)

I couldn't find any numbers for the picture though, but thanks anyway.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I would instead advise reading all the sticky posts and the Newbie Guide.

Posting your work with one of your very first posts is considered a no-no here. There are whole subforums for it, once you've taken some time to contribute to the community. Basically, that means 50 posts.

Take some time, wander around. Get to know the forums, and let the forums get to know you.

Wentworth.Writes

Registered
Reaction score
I would instead advise reading all the sticky posts and the Newbie Guide.

Posting your work with one of your very first posts is considered a no-no here. There are whole subforums for it, once you've taken some time to contribute to the community. Basically, that means 50 posts.

Take some time, wander around. Get to know the forums, and let the forums get to know you.

Thank you for telling me, I deleted the picture. I'll go read the Newbie Guide.

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Good luck with your project. Sounds similar to how NaNoWriMo works, except that you aim for 50,000 words in a month, and you can plot however long you want to before that. :)

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
30,000 words a month are tough - in all honesty, you're probably not going to make it unless you discipline yourself to bang on a keyboard or writing pad for several hours a day. If you've clocked in 780 words in 2 days, I'd say you're already falling behind.

I know because I tried to do a personal NaNoWriMo in February and clocked in at 35K words for the month (and I was writing every day as well - just not enough in a day).

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, for one NaNoWriMo I was barely over 40k words near the end, and decided to dedicate the last day to it and give it the Good Old College Try. My MC ended up going into a manic phase (I didn't even know he had this problem until then, but his wife had his medicine, but she had to get it to him...), and I wrote 9,700 words in 12 hours and hit 50k 15 minutes before midnight.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
On the other hand, for one NaNoWriMo I was barely over 40k words near the end, and decided to dedicate the last day to it and give it the Good Old College Try. My MC ended up going into a manic phase (I didn't even know he had this problem until then, but his wife had his medicine, but she had to get it to him...), and I wrote 9,700 words in 12 hours and hit 50k 15 minutes before midnight.

Wow... that sounds like a very pulse-pounding writing session. O_O

But congrats on making the goal. :)

Anyway, back on topic... set whatever goal you feel comfortable achieving, and work toward that goal. In the long run, it'll help you fall into a better pattern of understanding what works for you and doesn't. :)

Wentworth.Writes

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your project. Sounds similar to how NaNoWriMo works, except that you aim for 50,000 words in a month, and you can plot however long you want to before that. :)

Thanks. I've thought about NaNoWriMo, but the bare thought of 50 000 words in 30 days are stressing me out. Perhaps I'll try once I'm done with this thing. :)

Wentworth.Writes

Registered
Reaction score
30,000 words a month are tough - in all honesty, you're probably not going to make it unless you discipline yourself to bang on a keyboard or writing pad for several hours a day. If you've clocked in 780 words in 2 days, I'd say you're already falling behind.

I know because I tried to do a personal NaNoWriMo in February and clocked in at 35K words for the month (and I was writing every day as well - just not enough in a day).

To be honest, I gave myself a week to plot and outline, so I'll start the 'heavy' writing today. I'm trying for around 1500 words a day, and that should give me (if everything works according to plan - and it never does) about 45000 words in a 30 day period, let's take away eight days worth of writing to get the weekends 'off' and I'll have about 33 000 words in a month.

Well, one can hope.

I guess my wordcount per day will vary greatly, because on other projects I may have only managed to write two hundred sometimes, and other days I've been able to write almost 5 000 in one go. (Not ofthen though...)

:)

Wentworth.Writes

Registered
Reaction score
That's an admirable goal! And while that's difficult to attain, even if you only complete half of what you're aiming for that's still more than most do in 90 days. c;

Good luck!

Thank you so much.

And I'll do my best to reach my goal, but I'll still be pleased with whatever progress I reach, should I not be able to complete it. :D

Progress is progress.

Wentworth.Writes

Registered
Reaction score

Wow, that's great. Congratulations on completing a NaNoWriMo. That's one long writing session, though. ;)

Wentworth.Writes

Registered
Reaction score
Wow... that sounds like a very pulse-pounding writing session. O_O

But congrats on making the goal. :)

Anyway, back on topic... set whatever goal you feel comfortable achieving, and work toward that goal. In the long run, it'll help you fall into a better pattern of understanding what works for you and doesn't. :)

Thank you. That's good advice. I haven't really tried structuring my work to that degree and taking the time to notice what does work. I admit that my 100 000 word goal is a big one, but I also feel that if I don't force myself to work, I'll keep doing what I've always have been, and that hasn't worked out too well in the past.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Well, that's only a thousand words per day. Tough for some, sure, but it's hardly blazing fast. It's just over half of what NaNo demands, and only about one not too strenuous hour of writing for the average selling writer I know. If you write only nine words per minute, a thousand words is still less than two hours of writing.

All such things depend on the given writer, of course, but I don't think a thousand words per day is at all unreasonable for the large majority of writers, even if they have nine to five job, and a family.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
A novel in 90 days? sure, ok. Not impressive. What about 90 novels in one day?

Seriously though, good luck, and maybe stay off of absolute write each day until you've finished your writing for that day. Same for you tube and google and facebook and twitter and all that stuff.

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's only a thousand words per day. Tough for some, sure, but it's hardly blazing fast. It's just over half of what NaNo demands, and only about one not too strenuous hour of writing for the average selling writer I know. If you write only nine words per minute, a thousand words is still less than two hours of writing.

The problem comes when you start missing days, and the average words per day creeps up to 1200, then 1500, then 2000. Easy to do. Any day you don't hit the average word count is going to make every subsequent day much harder. Of course, you can promise yourself to wipe out the "debt" in one big burst of writing, but that never happened with me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The problem comes when you start missing days, and the average words per day creeps up to 1200, then 1500, then 2000. Easy to do. Any day you don't hit the average word count is going to make every subsequent day much harder. Of course, you can promise yourself to wipe out the "debt" in one big burst of writing, but that never happened with me.

Yep. Missing days is always the problem. So don't miss days. Don't get in debt. If you know there is no way to avoid missing a day, you pay it off in advance, not after the fact.

And don't set unrealistic daily goals. Write for a month, and average the words per day. This should be your daily goal.

But a thousand words per day should be easy enough for anyone who actually sits down and writes. You can squeeze a couple of hours out of even the busiest day, and more on most weekends.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
30,000 is a nice obtainable monthly goal. I'd suggest not taking the weekend's off though. It's hard to start back up at the same pace once you take a few days off.

ellebooks

Registered
Reaction score
This goal sounds awesome - good luck! It sounds like you've mapped out your plan, so if you stick to it, I think you can do it. Keep up posted on your progress!

A novel in 90 days? sure, ok. Not impressive. What about 90 novels in one day?

Seriously though, good luck, and maybe stay off of absolute write each day until you've finished your writing for that day. Same for you tube and google and facebook and twitter and all that stuff.

Also, Spikeman, brilliant advice. AW is amazing, but it's also one of the easiest forms of procrastination.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
I have 90 days to plot, outline and write a first draft of a novel.

Jo

You can do it! I started my novel on April 28 and so far I'm writing the last chapter at 140K words. I will miss 90 days (if I had set myself a goal of 90 days, that is) by a few days, by the looks of it, but I'm not complaining :)

I also wrote it kinda live on Wattpad - write 3 - 5 chapters ahead of time and posted them on a set schedule, giving my regular readers time to read and comment, which helped me a lot with some of my character's arc.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.