More About Fallout Shelters

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Awhile back, we were talking about fallout shelters, as I have some characters who get trapped in one when a deadly alien fog invades London. Now I need for one of the characters to leave the fallout shelter, under emergency circumstances, in order to test whether their vaccine against the fog works. But since I don't know exactly how things work, I'm having trouble coming up with a legitimate scenario. Therefore, I have a few questions.

My first thought is: power. Without power, the shelter's ventilator will stop working and they'll suffocate, right? If the breaker trips, the MC will need to leave the bunker in order to reset the breaker. This would be the ideal situation for my purposes. A quick trip down the basement hallway, reset the breaker, encounter the fog, chaos ensues.

The thing is, they do have emergency generators. So if the main power goes out, the generators would kick in. Would the bunker have its own generator inside? Or would it be outside the shelter? How often would it need to be refilled with gas? If it ran out of gas, I could send the MC outside to refill it. But it's been about a week since they entered the shelter and I have a hard time believing a generator would last that long without refueling.

What else might go wrong in a fallout shelter, that would necessitate sending someone outside to fix the problem?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I would assume that stuff like the breaker switch would be accessible from inside a shelter, for reasons of convenience, and that the shelter would be powered by some kind of generator that was inside and fed on petrol or something.

What springs to mind would be that the ventilation system has to end up, via filters etc, connecting to the outside world, and if the exterior vent/intake became blocked somehow you would start to have problems. (Same goes for generator exhaust.)

Elhrrah

Summon Bigger Fish
Registered
Reaction score
A logical fallout shelter would keep its circuit breaker and backup generator(s) accessible to its occupants, however that depends on the age and the quality of the shelter. Is it a state of the art Ark for the modern age, or is it an old and failing hole in the ground, tapping power from light poles and draining water from leaky pipes?

Something you could do, on the other hand, is give the shelter a dodgy sump pump. If the pump dies and the place starts flooding, the only answer would be a manual release gate into the sewers, which would either force someone to swim inside the shelter, or to go to the surface to find the sewer entrance and force the gate from the outside (which then also gives you a spare escape route/invasion route in the future, if you ever need one).

stumblebum

nope
Registered
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is start talking to people who build fallout shelters. There are a few companies in the States that cater to that sort of thing. I'd network with them. Tell them you're doing research for a story; you'd be surprised how eager people are to help. I know I have been.

The second thing I'd consider is the power source. Generators don't last long; just until the fuel runs out. I'm assuming this is a big fallout shelter, in that it has a laboratory capable of creating such a vaccine. Is it powered by a nuclear reactor? Underground steam vents? A natural gas line?

Figure out how the thing works, then figure out the best way to break it. And if you really want your characters to have fun, break it twice. The sump pump and the reactor is down? You've gotta be kidding me!

My two cents.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
There's a reality show on the discovery channel that is called Doomsday Bunkers. I've seen a few episodes where the bunkers have emergency generators. I remember one where the generators were above ground (someone actually stole them from a completed bunker) They were half buried and set in a cinderblock box.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I was assuming their main power would come from the city's grid, seeing as how there are no bombs dropping. They have backup generators for the entire building (the shelter is in the basement of an office building), but I guess there would have to be separate generators for the shelter itself. Lots of redundancy, so something major would have to go wrong for them to lose power.

I like the idea of the sewer system flooding, however I only require one person to leave the shelter. Everyone else needs to stay behind, while the MC goes out to face the fog. If it's flooding, everyone would have to evacuate. Is there another way of messing with the sewer lines, so that everyone can stay put?

The intake for the ventilation is up on the roof. It needs to be up high, otherwise the fog will infiltrate it. I could have something block the ventilation shaft, but the problem is that the hero wouldn't last long enough to get to the roof. The vaccine keeps the fog from feeding on his blood, but he's still going to have a physical reaction to the mist. By the time he reached the roof, he'd be incapacitated, which won't work.

Would the shelter automatically run on its own generators, once the door is closed? Or could they choose where to draw their power from? If they ran out of fuel, I could say that someone needs to go out to the building's generators and plug them into the bunker, or reroute the power, or something.

Not to stray too far from the original topic, but I could say they need something from outside the shelter and that's why he leaves. Perhaps the laptop they're using to communicate with the outside world fails and they need a new laptop, which is kept in storage in the basement. Or perhaps the internet dies and they have to reboot the servers manually, so they can resume contact with the outside world. Could something like that work?

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
American shelters were generally designed to be completely buttoned-up for two weeks, which was the estimated time requirement for fallout to die off, and to then be in partial use for some weeks longer. However, my understanding is they often weren't very well-maintained, and the supplies that were supposed to be there weren't always present, or had spoiled but not been replaced. So maybe there's supposed to be gasoline for a few months, but that doesn't mean it's actually there.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I was assuming their main power would come from the city's grid, seeing as how there are no bombs dropping. They have backup generators for the entire building (the shelter is in the basement of an office building), but I guess there would have to be separate generators for the shelter itself. Lots of redundancy, so something major would have to go wrong for them to lose power.

This depends somewhat upon the force used to generate the electricity. Coal is the shortest and hydro the longest, but we're talking only hours to maybe a few days. Generating electricity requires a lot of supervision of the machinery.

I like the idea of the sewer system flooding, however I only require one person to leave the shelter. Everyone else needs to stay behind, while the MC goes out to face the fog. If it's flooding, everyone would have to evacuate. Is there another way of messing with the sewer lines, so that everyone can stay put?

The intake for the ventilation is up on the roof. It needs to be up high, otherwise the fog will infiltrate it. I could have something block the ventilation shaft, but the problem is that the hero wouldn't last long enough to get to the roof. The vaccine keeps the fog from feeding on his blood, but he's still going to have a physical reaction to the mist. By the time he reached the roof, he'd be incapacitated, which won't work.

Intake vent will not be on the roof. Heat rises, and you use heat to create a positive flow, along with wind direction. Intake will always be below the outflow. The filters will be designed to last through the maximum period that the shelter would be in use.

Would the shelter automatically run on its own generators, once the door is closed? Once outside power goes, they should kick in. Or could they choose where to draw their power from? If they ran out of fuel, I could say that someone needs to go out to the building's generators and plug them into the bunker, or reroute the power, or something. Independent generators work on gasoline, propane, or diesel. Propane needs a tanker truck to deliver. Gasoline or diesel can be lifted out of storage tanks. Diesel (same stuff as fuel oil used in heating houses) lasts better then gasoline.

Not to stray too far from the original topic, but I could say they need something from outside the shelter and that's why he leaves. Perhaps the laptop they're using to communicate with the outside world fails and they need a new laptop, which is kept in storage in the basement. Or perhaps the internet dies and they have to reboot the servers manually, so they can resume contact with the outside world. Could something like that work?

You really expect things to hold together pretty well, don't you? I can't imagine the internet holding together that long, between the electricity they need and the resets that need to happen to the equipment.

Shelters are designed for specific periods. Two weeks was a common one. Don't get fancy here. Have them running close to the end of the time limit, whatever you want to set it at, and send out a canary to test the air. In this case, the canary is one of the people.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
If the ventilation intake is not on the roof, then they're all screwed. The fog rises at least twelve feet high, so if the intake shaft is on the ground, the fog will either seep in or suffocate them by blocking the air flow. Could the intake shaft be on the roof, with the outflow up higher, like on a pedestal? Or would the filters ensure that the fog couldn't get in?

As for the internet, they're still connected to the grid and the city's power doesn't go out, so that's okay. Although . . . if central London was evacuated, how long would the power last without someone to tend it? Are the power stations outside the city and therefore beyond the evacuation zone? I can shift them to emergency generators, so either way, they'll have power.

I'm not familiar with commercial servers and networks, so I don't know how plausible it is that one might go a week or two without being rebooted. Our home server/router/modem doesn't need to be rebooted very often. They might be able to do some rebooting remotely, too. My husband works with servers and he's always doing stuff remotely from home, although I don't know if that includes rebooting or not. I'll try to remember to ask him.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
If the ventilation intake is not on the roof, then they're all screwed. The fog rises at least twelve feet high, so if the intake shaft is on the ground, the fog will either seep in or suffocate them by blocking the air flow. Could the intake shaft be on the roof, with the outflow up higher, like on a pedestal? Or would the filters ensure that the fog couldn't get in?

Is the shelter designed for this fog? You want the intake above ground, but not too high up. You need at least ten feet difference between the intake and the outflow.

Without wanting to get too technical, filters are designed around molecule size. For instance, say you want to stop water from passing through a filter, you make the openings smaller then a water molecule. Anything smaller passes through, anything larger is blocked. A filter that can block water vapor can permit air to flow though it. I'm using water here as fog should be similar in size to a water molecule.

Alternative approach is a closed system such as a nuclear submarine uses. This is your highest level of protection. Or a hybrid system combining some fresh air with recycled air.

As for the internet, they're still connected to the grid and the city's power doesn't go out, so that's okay. Although . . . if central London was evacuated, how long would the power last without someone to tend it? Are the power stations outside the city and therefore beyond the evacuation zone? I can shift them to emergency generators, so either way, they'll have power.

London's power seems to be a mix of coal, gas, and nuclear. Coal is usually limited to a few days supply. Gas is variable on supplies, depending upon the system. Nuclear has long-term supplies. But all of these systems need constant regulation. If power lasted a week, I'd be surprised.

I'm not familiar with commercial servers and networks, so I don't know how plausible it is that one might go a week or two without being rebooted. Our home server/router/modem doesn't need to be rebooted very often. They might be able to do some rebooting remotely, too. My husband works with servers and he's always doing stuff remotely from home, although I don't know if that includes rebooting or not. I'll try to remember to ask him.

So this fog rises to a depth of 12 feet. Since it hugs the ground, it is heavier then air (by definition). Just like if there was 12 feet of water on the ground, the fog is going to flow downhill at some speed to be determined. And why don't they just move 15 feet up?

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed this post. No, the shelter isn't designed against the fog. They have no idea how high the fog will rise, and it seems to be intelligent, so it could very well chase them upstairs. That's why they lock themselves in the fallout shelter, sealing the door with metal repair tape, just to be safe. (The fog eats through rubber, among other things, but glass and metal stops it.)

I suppose I could just say the filtration system wouldn't let the fog pass through. But it would make everyone very uncomfortable, because who knows if it will block the filter or seep through? That could be a good thing, now that I think about it.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely an issue for them is whether the seals are going to work, as well as the filter. Anyone who has ever relied on full-body protection in dangerous situations has had doubts about whether they're actually sealed. You check, you double-check, you triple-check, but you always have doubts.

The door seals are not rubber and haven't been for decades. It will probably be some type of neoprene. You might want to read The Andromeda Strain where one of the issues is when the seals to their containment area start disappearing.

You can always have a character comment that the filters are designed to stop water vapor, but who the hell knows if that's small enough to stop this fog. A very brief discussion of filters is at Pneumatic filter. One thing this discussion points out is the use of multiple filters for things like a cleanroom, making the filters progressively smaller. This technique would also be used for a shelter.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure the fog can eat through synthetic rubber just as easily as the real thing. Question is, would the door seals of a building capable of going into lockdown be of neoprene, as well? I've no idea how old the building is, but it's probably been retrofitted.