Public reading advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

COOLORANGEFREEZE

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If I was going to do a reading in a bookstore is it recommended to read the 1st chapter or to read a chapter that you think would be more exciting?

Have you done a reading and how did it go?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest reading several short passages that are intriguing but don't give to much away. Not too much of the reading should be straight "reading".

Last edited:

COOLORANGEFREEZE

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest reading several short passages that are intriguing but don't give to much away. Not to much of the reading should be straight "reading".

Interesting. I didn't know that straight reading isn't necessarily the way to go. Your post certainly creates more flexibility in sparking the audience's imagination and their desire to buy the book and/or recommend it.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware, too, that setting up a reading in a bookstore for a book they don't carry is usually all but impossible. I understand (from elsewhere on AW) that you're self-published, or self-publishing. This is going to close the door on most venues where you might do a reading.

The best way to know how readings go, for the record, is to attend a handful. I see you're in the Bay Area, so author readings are abundant. Find a few in your genre and stop by to see how each author handles his/her selection.

Maryn, who attends readings occasionally

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Jodi Picoult does great readings. She talks about why she wrote the book and bit a about it, then reads sections that illustrate the perspectives of the main characters. Then she takes questions.

But if you are not a best seller I would recommend taking some friends. If a few people are listening, others will often join. But otherwise you can be talking to yourself.

Sary

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm planning a reading at my launch party and I had the same question. Also wondered, how long should a reading last?

Status
Not open for further replies.