Monsanto Protection Act

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Even if I had room to garden, I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables to make it efficient.

(Yeah I know I should probably change that, but... well, it's true. For now.)

And yeah, I'm just making excuses for myself. I think it's a great idea if it works for you.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Commercial growing is going to be a lot more inefficient when you have to hand pollinate after many more bees die from pesticides.
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-honeybee-population-is-collapsing-2013-3

I would like to see more community gardens and guerrilla gardening. You can grow more in urban areas than you think. Right now I live in a condo where I have a balcony. I have 4 fruit trees, a currant bush and will be adding strawberries soon. I also have 2 plots reserved in a nearby community garden.

Most will likely have not enough space to live like that. I have three fruit trees (saskatoon, gooseberry, chokecherry), three fruit bushes (blueberry, currant, raspberry)vand a garden patch big enough to bring a haul of 30 or 40 kg of potatoes, depending on how much rain we get in a year. That will not be enough for me to last through a winter, especially given that my stomach rejects potatoes.

That being said, depopulations are normal.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Live like what? My patio is small, so it's similar to what many other urban dwellers would have available. Every little bit someone can do will help overall. I'm curious...why grow taters if you can't eat them?

Some depopulation is normal, perhaps, but 50% and no end in sight? As it is, commercial growers depend on having them there. Bees are trucked from all over to CA, for example, to help with crops like almonds. Prices are going to go up and less produced as the bee population and crop production goes down.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Commercial growing is going to be a lot more inefficient when you have to hand pollinate after many more bees die from pesticides.
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-honeybee-population-is-collapsing-2013-3

I would like to see more community gardens and guerrilla gardening. You can grow more in urban areas than you think. Right now I live in a condo where I have a balcony. I have 4 fruit trees, a currant bush and will be adding strawberries soon. I also have 2 plots reserved in a nearby community garden.

Thanks for the link, it's a good 'un! Too bad profit (and that's the bottom line, babe) and not sensible stewardship of land and resources is the main motivation. Odd (to me)that Mega-Agra appear to have a lot of bullshit to spread around but not in the "right" fields!!