MagicJack phone service replacement thingie-ma-bob

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with or knowledge of the phone device known as MagicJack? It's supposed to be a low-cost replacement for traditional phone service.

http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/

I guess previously it had to be connected to a computer (which meant the computer had to be on all the time) but now their New and Improved version doesn't require that.

We're looking for ways to reduce household bills. We need a landline in addition to mobile because my husband is self-employed and we have a fax machine at home. But we don't really use the landline for much else, so we're looking at MagicJack.

I'm just not sure how well it really works or how reliable it is. ???

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I've used MagicJack. It's on my phone and iPad. Basically it is an IP (read over the Internet) phone service. It does not provide 911 functionality, I don't think. (Haven't tried. Maybe tomorrow.)

Works fine.

horrorshowjack

Professional Heretic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackcnemo.com
No specific information for their new hardware. However, I used the last version and it was a complete headache from roughly the time I went past the money back guarantee.

I had a lot of problems with disappearing voice mails and the dialer software seemed buggy. It also dropped registration several times. Didn't even finish out the year I'd prepaid.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Tried it after we dropped our landline, and it worked, but with some reliability probelms. None severe, but still annoying.

Our computer is never turned off, though, so that isn't an issue.