How many books do you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's incredibly rude (as my husband has pointed out to me) but I read at meals. Constantly.

My guy and I both do this. Mealtimes in our home are practically perfect.

In the past, I've managed to read around three-hundred books per year, but these days that's down to between one and two-hundred. I recently went through a reading malaise where nothing captured my attention for more than a few pages.

Thankfully, I'm over it now, and I'm playing catch-up with all those books! :)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
If listening to audiobooks counts as reading (and it does in my book), then 3 - 4 per week.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't. Not unless you either like to re-read books or have enough money to feed the habit. A novel a day's as expensive as smoking.

And so the Lord bestowed upon us the Library, and said 'go forth my eager readers and gorge.'

feeblepizza

kinda human mostly cat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a slow reader, but a good estimate would be 70-80 books per year. They're a good mix between fiction and nonfiction, but mostly fiction.

gilesth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gilesth.blogspot.com
I have no idea. I can get picky about what I read, I'm a slow reader, and I have an incredibly busy life (especially right now). So I really only manage to get through two to four chapters in one evening (right before bed). I don't have the opportunity to read every night, either.

Including audio books, though (which I listen to while I work), I'd say fifteen to twenty books a year. Maybe thirty.

It's pretty sad, and I wish I could read more often, but I'm trying to get a book published :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, seeing more people with one or two books a week here--that makes me feel better.

I think my issue is A) I want more ME time, dammit, and B) I want to read all these books on my reading list right now, and sometimes wish I could absorb them all at once.

ETA: I meant to comment on this before:
The only thing that stops me wanting to read is being ill.
It's almost the opposite for me. When I'm ill, I'm almost happy about it because it's like, "Great! Now I can just lie here and read and NO ONE will bother me to get up and do stuff!"

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting in the 30 to 50 books a year range. I have a f/t job, two kids, a house and a husband who travels. But I take the bus to work, which gives me at least an hour of uninterrupted reading time. I like to watch TV. So sue me. But I also read things other than books. I read the daily newspaper every day and several monthly magazines.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my reading time is on my daily commute - I spend two hours a day on public transport going to and from work.

I average about a book a week, and I think I am quite a fast reader. Because I'm fond of crime, I find I am skimming through the exciting bit when the characters are chasing down the bad guy...

So saying, I do like re-reading books. Since I got my e-reader, I find I'm reading two books at once - one e-book on the commute (because I find the e-reader so much handier for the commute) and one paper book at home to read in the bath, or before bed, or whatever.

Goodreads is keeping track of my total this year! I aimed to read 50 books and apparently I am currently 4 books ahead of my target - and it's only April!

I think the number of books you read is entirely down to you! I confess I feel sorry for people who don't read anything. I can't imagine life without books.

Shara

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, not enough. Even with two months off for summer vacation last year, I only read about twenty-eight books. I really need to spend less time stumbling and brainstorming and read.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Another binge reader here. I'll go for months without finishing a book, then suddenly read three or four in a week. My average is like 20-30 a year.

I like reading but I like doing a lot of other things, too. :tongue People who are slow readers, I don't think you should be so hard on yourselves. Read what you enjoy; read enough to inspire yourself and keep up with your genre. The point's not to have an impressive number at the end of the year.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
I'll likely end up reading about ten to twelve this year. I can usually keep two going at once, but with the time commitment (and looming deadline) of my WIP, I'm at a whopping one at a time. Right now, it's FOUNDING GARDENERS, then I'm heading for Laura Hillenbrand's spectacular UNBROKEN. I just finished Morris' PULTIZER about a year later than a wanted to., and then of course, I'll HAVE to pick up Stephen King's new one in November....

Voxtrot

Registered
Reaction score
At a guess, I probably finish between 20 - 30 books a year. Doesn't sound like a lot, I know. But I'm a careful, slow reader (usually, lol). I have to be careful when I choose what I'm going to read next, because if I'm in the middle of writing, I find myself accidently reverting into the writing style of the author I'm reading - it's a terrible habit!

But I usually read about 5 different books at the same time - a mixture of fiction and non-fiction. It's just something I picked up at university, I guess. And not always conducive to finishing books I might add, lol.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how busy I am. That said, I can average between one to five books a week. So.... 52 to 260 or so a year when it's a good year for books. Else, probably half those numbers. I'm a picky reader.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
I read constantly...some for research...alot for pleasure.
I'm not too picky, I read almost anything.
I look on Amazon for all the new stuff, then call the library and reserve them. I keep a list at my desk and mark them off as I read.
The librarians know my voice when I call.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm still suffering from English Lit-degree-sickness, so I'm not reading as much as I am capable of.

bri_ness

Registered
Reaction score
I read about 45 books last year? But that doesn't count all the short stories, plays, and poems I read as an English major, which is where most of my reading goes during the school year, especially since I need to read the texts carefully to write about them. I still read novels for fun as well, but at a much slower pace than I do in the summer. In the summer, I read approximately two books a week. I realize that's not much compared to some people, but in all honesty, I like being a slower reader when it comes to novels. Part of the fun is being able to live in the world for awhile.

howard manson

"Warfare is the Tao of Deception"
Registered
Reaction score
I average 600 pages a week, every week plus a newspaper a day. When I'm researching a book I read more. In five weeks last July and August, I read 32 books, taking notes, ten more before mid September. After that, I reread ten of the books, taking more notes. All but two of the books were non-fiction.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I read 2-3 books a week, but I read fast. It's usually a mixture of fiction and nonfiction, heavier on fiction.

I can't imagine not reading. In high school the guidance counselor told me I was wasting my life reading and I'm still offended by that. For me, reading is essential; I'd go nutty without some relief from the grand tedium of life! :)

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I used to read quite a bit before my projects at hand consumed me. I read when I can and when I make time. I'm more of a writer than a reader right now. I don't count the books I read in a setting, just cumulatively over the years.

You don't have to write in order to read, but it seems you have to read if you want to write, hm?

Status
Not open for further replies.