• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Decadent Publishing

Reaction score
One of my publishers sends me the cover roughly two months after signing. The other? Four.

My guess is they have a backlog of covers already done, just waiting for the title and author's name to be added.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
If they have a freelance cover artist on staff, I wouldn't find it all that strange. I'm assuming a cover art form was submitted with the contract. Lots of cover artists work fast. They have to if they're going to make any money.

But in my experience with EC, Samhain, LSB and others it takes a while to get a cover. Those publishers work with various artists and have larger numbers of authors though.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
One of my publishers sends me the cover roughly two months after signing. The other? Four.

My guess is they have a backlog of covers already done, just waiting for the title and author's name to be added.
Call me sentimental (or an ass, whatever you prefer), but I would like to think a cover was made for MY book, not next in the stack.

Reaction score
There are publishers out there who have covers stockpiled. Some even advertise this fact and invite in-house authors to write stories to fit them.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I think it's a bit odd, but doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of being a negative. To me it just suggests they're not getting a lot of contracts in, so their cover artist (who I know, she's a sweetheart and very good) jumped on it right away.*

Or, yeah, there are some pre-made ones.

Did your friend fill out a cover form? Was the cover what s/he was looking for?

*(ETA: Too bad I can't say the same about the other staff/owners; I would have liked to.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The best thing I can think of to say about Decadent is that they have gorgeous covers. Yeah, I'm shallow like that. Yes, I would let cover art sway me when deciding which publisher to sub to, if all other things were equal.

Let's just say I have other publishers I'd sub to first, though, in this case, because all things are not equal.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
It takes me significantly longer than an hour to find suitable stock images for a cover, then there's the actual creation of a cover which takes about 1-2 hours depending on the complexity and whether the initial cover concept comes together right.

The only way I can see them getting a cover done in an hour is they have stock already made and go through the images to find one that 'fits' the book.

LoverOfResearch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mycoverart.wordpress.com
Hello all. I noticed there are some questions here about Decadent's cover art. Since I'm their artist I thought I'd drop in and try to answer them.

But first of all, thanks to everyone who complemented the Decadent covers--I enjoy working on them. And Stacia, thanks for calling me a sweetheart. I try, I really do. ;)

On to the questions:

How long does it take me to design a Decadent cover? Considerably less time than it takes most epublishers' art departments. Many publishers have a lot of backlog. Some have no one whose sole job is designing covers. Their artists may be working only on the weekends or working as editors etc, as well as doing the artwork. Naturally, that means a longer wait.

In my case, this is my dayjob. I rarely leave my computer (I know, I'm a terrible addict). So when I get a cover request I drop whatever I'm doing and get started immediately. I often send a mock-up in for author approval the same day I receive the request.

This isn't because I'm aiming for quick, shoddy work but because I don't like to put an order off, not even for a day. I work for several publishers at a time and it's too easy for the orders to start piling up.

Also, I've done part of the work in advance--combing my favorite stock photo sites for good images. I keep lightboxes filled with hundreds of hot men, paranormal women, etc. My mind often races to a particular model even as I'm reading the art form. So rather than doing a search of the entire stock photo site for my hero, I already know all the site's attractive men are sitting in my lightbox. I just have to flip through it, looking for my tattooed hunk with a blond poneytail or my wavy haired cowboy.

But I should add here that this is the only preperation I do in advance. I don't use premade covers for Decadent, as someone asked. All Decadent covers are custom made according to the information provided on the form the author fills out. The authors have a huge amount of say in the process and it's not unusual for me to do three or more mock-ups before we get one the author approves.

And no, as someone else mentioned, I never do the Decadent covers without having first received a cover art form. There must be some misunderstanding there. You see, without that art form I'd have no idea where to begin with the cover. I wouldn't even know the basics, like hair/eye color of the main characters. Obviously, neither the publisher or the authors would let me get away with that.

Anyway, I hope this helps answer some questions. If I've left anything out, feel free to bring it up. I'm not particularly touchy (I don't think).

~Dara E.

Last edited:

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I will say that the Decadent covers are lovely and I actually had no idea that they were a recent start-up. I've seen their authors in a lot of places.

However. I was checking out their website after purchasing one of their books online and noticed the book had a ton of grammar mistakes. Sure enough, the blurbs on the website have tons of grammar mistakes too.

If they're hiring freelance editors to edit their books and write the blurbs...they need to hire new ones.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
She didn't fill out a cover. She's happy, but with no say you're kind of stuck. I found out they also made a banner in that hour.

Do you mean no say at all in how the cover looked? Did your friend ask for changes or offer suggestions in anything she saw as being "off" in her eyes?

I received my cover very quickly and asked for a change on what was an important point to me and was offered a couple options to choose from.

It's been my experience that most e-publishers (Decadent included) give the authors a lot of say in coverart. I've been pubbed by one of "the big guys" and by comparison e-publishers seem to bend over backwards most of the time in giving authors what they want in the cover department.

KT Grant

Learning the ropes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktgrant.com
Hey All!

I'm a Decadent author and just published my third book with them. I'm very happy with them since my first book published with them has done very, very well. My second book's sales are pretty good as well, and my third book, which is a holiday romance, became an ARe best seller in less than 4 days of being released.

They are big on promo and sending out books for review, unlike most epublishers that I know of.

As for their editing, from my experience, it was intense. Not only was I lucky enough to have editors who pushed me, where we went through multiple rounds until it was perfect, but I had copy edits, which I approved. They also edited the blurbs I've written. Also, they listened when I wanted to change my covers more to my liking.

I've received my royalties on time. I know for a fact they don't accept every manuscript they've received. I've made the most money with them of all the publishers I'm with, and since I'm a debut author who just published in May, I couldn't be more than happy.

Hope this helps if you're thinking of submitting to them.

chastitybush

Registered
Reaction score
Quick cover

I filled out a cover art form, and the cover and banner were finished the next day, which I think is better than waiting months so I can start a wider range of promotions. I NEVER said I didn"t fill out a cover art form. I even haad some things that I didn't like about the cover changed, and it looks great.
I am thus far happy with Decadent Publishing. I have had all my questions answered in a prompt and timely manner, been greeted by the promotions liason and editors and have been welcomed into the yahoo group, and facebook, by many happy authors. I can't figure out why people who have never been published with Decadent have so much negativity toward them. It seems to me, that if you don't know what they're like from first hand experience, you shouldn't say anything about them.

She didn't fill out a cover. She's happy, but with no say you're kind of stuck. I found out they also made a banner in that hour.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
For my part, it seems that the more discussion there is about a publisher, both pro and con, the easier it is for people to make up their own minds about it. It becomes quickly obvious which posters have agendas (both negative and positive), and which are honestly attempting to discover the truth.

That's the purpose of this forum.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
This is a forum section that advocates for authors, chastitybush. What you see as negativity, most of us see as watching out for our fellow authors. There's a lot of experience here, and a lot of kind people who are simply trying to help other authors not make the same mistakes they may have made.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I can't figure out why people who have never been published with Decadent have so much negativity toward them. It seems to me, that if you don't know what they're like from first hand experience, you shouldn't say anything about them.

(Bolding mine.)

Excuse me. I have first-hand experience with this publisher. In an effort to do them a favor--one of several I've done for them in this situation, though I'm certain they don't see it that way/realize that--I haven't detailed that experience publicly, and have confined my public comments to the single "I advise caution" warning I posted above; the warning I could not in good conscience avoid making.

Despite what I know some people believe, this is not personal on my part in any way and I don't hold a grudge or want some sort of revenge or anything else; I wish everyone involved the best, and I think those of you here who know me--those who know anything about me--know that's the truth. This isn't about me, and I do not appreciate being accused of chicanery.

Last edited:

chastitybush

Registered
Reaction score
Let's get this straight.

First off, I didn't say anything negative about this forum or anyone here, despite some of the nonsense I've read about one of my publishers. I, too have experience in the publishing business with several books. If anyone here bothered to do research on me, or read any of my many interviews, they would see that my number one piece of advice for new or aspiring authors is to always research the publisher you are submitting to. I have been taken in the past and know how it feels. But I have never said something about someone or a company that I didn't know about first hand. And I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth or being accused of accusing someone of chicanery. All I'm saying, is that there is more negativity here about Decadent than there is good, and not one person saying it is published with them. Isn't it better to be supportive of someone new, than it is to bash them, until you have good reason?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, chastitybush.

Please note Stacia Kane's comments above yours. She does have experience with the publisher. As others have said, we advocate for the authors here.

I'm glad you're happy with Decadent so far, and I see you're not the only one.

While you're here, please take a look at our Index of Publishers and note all the names that are in gray. Those are companies that have closed for one reason or another. Some of these have closed down when the person at the top retired, but many have closed down abruptly, leaving authors unpaid and the rights to their books in limbo.

I'm not suggesting at all that this will happen to Decadent, but I point you to this to understand why we scrutinize new publishers. It's not out of sour grapes or a need to bash the new kids on the block. Enough of us here have been left in the lurch when a publisher or magazine went under that we tend to exercise a little caution.

Please don't confuse that caution with negativity. We want to see publishers succeed because the more successful, vibrant publishers there are, the better it is for ALL of us.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it better to be supportive of someone new, than it is to bash them

"Being supportive" and "bashing" aren't the only two options. "Looking at the information that's out there and evaluating the potential for the publishing company to succeed in its stated goals" is another option, and the one that is the most helpful to the community of authors.

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with Decadent. That is certainly one important data point for people considering submitting work to them to take into account.

There's a thread here for pretty much every publisher of English-language books and e-books, from giant publishers like Random House and HarperCollins to very small micropresses, and people are going to share opinions from a variety of perspectives. That's how this forum works, and it generally works pretty well.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I apologize, Chastity. The second paragraph of my post was not aimed directly at you but was a general comment; I've gone back and added a few more hard breaks to hopefully make that more clear.

Incidentally, what research did you do that led you to Decadent? What influenced your decision? Any info you can share would be great and really interesting, given your emphasis on research and your previous publishing experience. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
If your manuscript is greater than 60,000 words, or is part of a series of smaller novellas/short stories, the short answer is "yes". Approximately three months after its release as an ebook, we will contact you regarding the possibility of a print book option.

Okay, this might be a stupid question but, what if you have a novella with potential to be a series (maybe) but you have only written the first one. Would it still be in print?

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I'm thinking probably not until you have enough to make it a book. I've read different novella anthologies from EC, Samhain, etc etc they do just that. So if you write three 20k novellas and they get published one by one, it probably wouldn't go to print until that last novella was complete and had gone through its initial eRun.

This is totally speculation, and I could very well be talking out of my ass, but thats the way it is typically done.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
chastitybush: (BOLDING MINE)
I filled out a cover art form, and the cover and banner were finished the next day, which I think is better than waiting months so I can start a wider range of promotions.

What is Decadent doing in terms of promotion work?

chastitybush:
I have had all my questions answered in a prompt and timely manner, been greeted by the promotions liason and editors and have been welcomed into the yahoo group, and facebook, by many happy authors.

Well the company's apparently only been running since last August and they've been releasing a shit load of books so I'm not surprised that there are so many people there who are still so happy.

The telling part is to wait a year or so and then see how many authors are still happy and what their sales figures are.

chastitybush:
I can't figure out why people who have never been published with Decadent have so much negativity toward them.

Stick around - check out the greyed out threads in the index to this Forum. There have been dozens and dozens of new start up publishers with dozens and dozens of happy happy authors in the first couple of months who then shut down within the first year to 2 years.

Nothing's been said here about Decadent that hasn't been said about those publishers as well.

Shame you can't bear to hear that but hey, your choice. Maybe the comments being made here will help other authors to make a more informed decision.

chastitybush:
It seems to me, that if you don't know what they're like from first hand experience, you shouldn't say anything about them.

What absolute crap.

It's perfectly possible to take a look at what a publisher is and is not saying about itself on publicly available websites and point out potential issues that may be of concern. There are enough of us here on AW with enough experience of publishing to be able to do that.

chastitybush:
I, too have experience in the publishing business with several books. If anyone here bothered to do research on me, or read any of my many interviews, they would see that my number one piece of advice for new or aspiring authors is to always research the publisher you are submitting to.

Then what's your problem with people giving their opinion here to people wanting information on your publisher?

As for your experience with publishers, according to your Amazon page it's with entities such as Solstice, MuseItUpPublishing and Smashword. There are threads on some of them here and, so far as I'm aware, they're not advance paying commercial publishers so I'll treat your experience accordingly.

chastitybush:
Isn't it better to be supportive of someone new, than it is to bash them, until you have good reason?

No one here has bashed Decadent. We've raised concerns - concerns that you don't seem to share but hey, that's your right.

As for supporting a new publisher - I have no problem supporting a new, well capitalised publisher that's open about its past experience and what it can and will do for authors. There are several examples of small publishers that have come here to AW, answered questions reasonably and helped put people's minds at rest.

Then there are new publishers that seem to be going down the author mill approach, where there's no information on the founders or their background in publishing and which seem to put all the emphasis on authors doing marketing and promotion.

MM

chastitybush

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, there really is some thick headedness going on here. I wasnt trying to offend anyone here, and I wasn't slamming the need for people to state their own opinion of anything. What I was saying, is that there is no reason to automatically think ill of a new company.
When I first started writing I took it right up the ass from Publish America because I didnt know what to watch for or what to ask, or where to ask it, and since then, When I submit to a company I speak to several of their authors, contact P&E and check forums. I ask as many questions as I can to whomever I can who I know has experience with said company.
There is so much negativity here, and I will not be visiting this site again. It seems no one, if they're new, stands a chance here, be they authors, or publishers. So keep your negativity. I don't need it.