Help Choose Author Pic

Which pic should I use for my author picture?

Votes: 42 43.3%

Votes: 5 5.2%

Votes: 39 40.2%

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • #5 - cuz hippo

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My agent is putting together a bio to include in her pitch...and I need an author picture. I'm fortunate enough to own an SLR, so I got Mr. Putt to take a few shots of me. But now nobody can agree on a pic (and wow, my family and friends are really opinionated). Blurgh. So please, AW, help me pick a damn picture.

The book is a YA fantasy about teenage assassins. Here is the query. I don't think it's as dark as The Hunger Games but it's somewhere in that territory.

Thank you AW! And if any of you ever needs an author pic taken and happens to be in Oxford, I am happy to do it in exchange for scones and/or chocolate.

DzK1K58.jpg

AbxrsDk.jpg

SF2ZLRh.jpg

z8Df5m1MrP6hPTfAHh1Cc7uN6mTAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
And here I was about to rampage in, all outraged, to demand just what was wrong with using a cartoon hippo, anyway?! And not only is it obvious why you would consider the possibility (jeepers, girl, you're gorgeous), but you even included the cartoon hippo just to throw me off my ranting-stride.

Well, obviously #5 is the best. However, of the second-tier choices, I'd say that #4 makes you look most beautiful but #3 looks more like a professional author photo, i.e. you maybe look a little too ooh-la-la in #4.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at other author pics. My recollection (not entirely trustworthy on this) is that the picture is usually a front-facing picture.

I rarely pay attention to the author's bio on a dustjacket, so I can't say that with any certainty.

It's TOTALLY out of character with the story, but I voted #5 anyway. Just 'cuz.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I love #5, because your hippo pics always crack me up. :) But I'm wondering if it would work best for readers who were familiar with you, or it, from AW. All the photos are gorgeous. I'd say #1, at a push. :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I voted for #3, although I do like that hippo! In addition to what m'learned co-commenters have said, I think that the framing of #3 is the best of the four pics.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Where's the one from the RANGE?? I vote that 1A!

In this batch, #3 seems most like an "author photo" but #1 caught my eye the most.

*puppy sneaks off to stuffed animal collection. shreds hippo toy. leaves fluffy guts under dining room table.*

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
#5, OF COURSE.

I voted for #1 but if I were you I'd crop it more like #3. #3 is beautiful, but #1 looks more "YA" to me. It's approachable, inviting -- you look like someone I want to get to know (by reading your book :D). The others are very pretty but they don't make me want to come up and talk to you (= read your book) the way #1 does.

eta1: In acting headshots, which are the one type of photo I know way too much about, the key is choosing the photo that best captures your personality, not what makes you look the most glamorous or whatevs. Obviously author headshots are different, because with actor headshots the other primary concern is looking like your headshot when you walk in for the audition, but I still lean toward telling you to capture your sparkly personality in the pic. :D Which to me means #1.

eta1.5: Another thing people do with acting headshots is take different ones for different submissions, like, a fun young-looking shot, a serious "leading role" shot, a comedic shot, a "person next door" shot, a character shot, whatevs, and then they submit the photo that best matches the breakdown. If you were writing litfic I might recommend #3 or #4, which are more aloof. But for YA my vote is definitely #1.

eta2: Your agent may know author photos better than we all do, so you also might want to send her the shots and ask for advice. That's what I did in film; I sent my agent my headshots. Her choices surprised me. But she's been doing this a heckuva long time so I trusted her judgment as to what people are looking for.

eta3: If you do send options to your agent, I think you should include the hippo (for serious). :D

Last edited:

pich313

Dreaming, writing, pursuing.
Registered
Reaction score
i think #1 is most fun, but i voted for #3 because you still have a nice air about you in this picture, but with an edge that seems to fit better with your novel description.

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
I voted #3, but tbh, if I was wandering through a store with my son and saw the hippo, I would be like any good mother and tell him I was going to buy it for him (me) because he (I) would probably find it to be interesting. :D

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Do you really look like that?? Damn!

All this time I thought you were a chubby ol' guy. :D

I voted for #3, agreeing with pich313.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ahem.

Maximum image size on AW is 400 x 400 pixels, and yours is 600 x 600 I'm afraid. It's so big it's making my computer crash. Could you please reduce the size?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote #1. It looks happy and a touch impish, like someone who would write a fun book.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Quickwit, you are so predictable.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the votes and the kind words everyone! My head is so big I'm gonna float right off the bog now.

Ahem.

Maximum image size on AW is 400 x 400 pixels, and yours is 600 x 600 I'm afraid. It's so big it's making my computer crash. Could you please reduce the size?

Sorry about that! I broke the pics up into 3 different pics. Did that help? If not I can reduce them even more.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for #5 just because it looked the most needful.

#3 is second choice.

I always look for author pictures but they don't influence whether I buy a book or not. However, the hippo might just tip a balance toward buying. The others are just, yanno, human and stuff.

:D

Conga Rats, and good luck!

:TheWave: *

*is conga rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.