Your favoritest big words!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Interrobang

One of these:

It's a double-duty question mark/exclamation point for when you want to write, "You did WHAT?!" using just one symbol.

I love both the concept and the word itself. It rolls off the tongue and then ends with a bang.

Interrobang always makes me think of some cheesy anime where the characters call out all their attacks. Like, "Pikachu! Use Interrobang!"

My favorite word is terpsichorean. It means "of or related to dance" and is a reference to the Greek muse of dance Terpsichore.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sough - a Germanic cognate of susurrate, a soft rustle or the nasal mode of voice employed in Scottish prayer that is also known as High Lonesome in American bluegrass, and the whine in Canadian rock.

Not very long, but plenty obscure and quite useful in musical critique.
I was just coming here to post this very word.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I love superfluous, obstreperous, and multitudinous. Guess I have a thing for adjectives :D.

I use the first two in everyday speech, despite the strange looks I sometimes get. Haven't ever found a spot where the third fit in. Looked up instances of it once, though, and discovered it's been used in more places than just Macbeth.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

OMG, that has spell check on it!!! hahaha

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Vermilion - a vivid red or red to orange

Cerulean - a hue ranging from blue to cyan

Viridian - A green/greeny teal

Sanguineous - relating to blood or bloodshed

I attribute Pokemon for the former three

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
I eschew obfuscation by keeping big words out of my stories. About as big I get is exsanguinate, ethereal, esoteric, and exoteric. Otherwise I ping the pang on the runny kine, my dammies. Sadatay. Yeah.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Some more:

Crennelation: the toothed edging of a wall as is commonly portrayed on castle walls. The archer peeked through the crenels to take witness of the battlefield.

Lemniscation: a sinusoidal-countersinusoidal pattern, a pattern made of figure 8s. The oscilloscope lemniscated out of focus as we twiddled with the knobs.

Last edited:

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I like the fact that "defenestration" even exists. Like, "damn, this keeps happening, and it takes so long to say. We really need a single word that encapsulates it."

Erm...it appears that "encapsulate" is also one of mine.

JennTX

Registered
Reaction score
I've always loved verisimilitude, which is the appearance of being true or real. Such a cool word to describe realism.

Of course, I rarely use it because it also sounds pretentious, which would be the opposite of "being real".

Whoa.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I likes woids, speshly long ones, but I keeps getting tole off by peeps wot reads mah bewk...

Like when I used ubiquitous. The perfect word I needed to convey my meaning, but alas, twas deemed too obscure and esoteric by certain of my less erudite commenters*.

Other words I like include somnolent, soporific, languorous, obdurate and avuncular.

Yes, it does seem that long words tend to fall into the adjective category.

* No one on AW

Last edited by a moderator:

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
recalcitrant
keeps popping into my writing and I keep deleting it. I like the word, but it's just one of those words that you can only have once in a whole novel

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Quixotic. Not sure if that counts as a "big" word or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.