Atlanta Nights - The Movie!

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
I've purchased the rights, figured out how to make it work, and am now raising funds for the production of Atlanta Nights, the movie.

I was inspired by both the story of the book's creation, and the tireless efforts of industry pros to help spread the word about literary snags and scams. (Before I found AW, I didn't even know there was such a thing.)

With all the info already available, I kept wondering why we weren't reaching more people - people who might not be as internet savvy, perhaps, or maybe they're just so excited about getting a 'yes' that the warnings go unheeded.

There's not much to do with the latter, but maybe we can use another medium to reach more of the former?

So I decided to make the movie.

Right now, I'm in the process of raising funds to make it happen. I'd love if you guys could check out the site, watch the video (donate if you're inclined), and help spread the word.

The Atlanta Nights Project

Thank you all!

Last edited:

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Great to see you, too. I haven't been around much (for now obvious reasons). This is the 'secret' project that I've been working toward.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! But your link doesn't work...

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I take it this is the special project Roy has been giggling about...

Since Myspace changed, I haven't seen much of you guys. They deleted the groups and I stopped visiting myspaz...

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Woo! Thanks! I gave a little love to your blog on the updates page :)

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is. Without the groups, there's really not much reason to hang out there anymore.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Love it :) Would love to see this, hope you get the funding!

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
You might try PA for funding, giving cameos to Larry and Miranda. Maybe even a special appearence by Bobby Fletcher if the price is right and if he can remember where the movie is being shot..

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Love it :) Would love to see this, hope you get the funding!

Thanks so much! Kickstarter is just one of the funding avenues that we're pursuing, along with grants, looking at small studios that I've worked with before for help, yadda yadda.

It make take a while to raise the funds for the feature portion of our adventure, but I'm here for the long haul.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
You might try PA for funding, giving cameos to Larry and Miranda. Maybe even a special appearence by Bobby Fletcher if the price is right and if he can remember where the movie is being shot..

o_O

Could you imagine? I could probably get Bouncing Bobby for a dollar, provided everyone on set crazy glued their pockets shut...

You have given me an idea though. Dunno if I could pull it off, and I'm not going to mention it anywhere traceable.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Well, be sure to send a film crew to interview Victoria Strauss, Jim Macdonald, and yours truly.

We were all involved with the project, to varying degrees. I'm the one that "took responsibility" for it when PublishAmerica announced that people were going to prison for doing it.

I wonder if it will surprise anyone to know that I'm not typing from prison?

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
o_O

Could you imagine? I could probably get Bouncing Bobby for a dollar, provided everyone on set crazy glued their pockets shut...

You have given me an idea though. Dunno if I could pull it off, and I'm not going to mention it anywhere traceable.

It's easy to treat it all as a joke, but do be careful, not just with what you do but with what you say. Retaliatory lawsuits may be frivolous, but you still have to defend yourself--and that's not a joke.

- Victoria

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Good Luck and I wish you the best.

I know it is going to be tough on that level of financing.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
8th, don't forget to put some $$$ away for legal expenses.

More than likely, the evil triplets will be watching this very closely...

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is a concern. The legal stuff. We will say nothing untrue. E&O (errors and omissions) insurance is about ten thousand by itself, which is a little scary.

Luckily, I have some world class talent on my end to help guide me through much of that stuff.

Public thanks to Jim for contacting the Teas, I'm incredibly grateful. (You can't see it, but I actually teared up when the 'yes' responses came in.) Each and every one of you are amazing for the help you provide new and aspiring writers, and I can't wait to share that with the world.

This may not be the biggest project that I've worked on (yet), but it is by far the most important.

I'll be attending MARScon in Minnesota the first weekend of March, please stop by and say hi if you like.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
It's easy to treat it all as a joke, but do be careful, not just with what you do but with what you say. Retaliatory lawsuits may be frivolous, but you still have to defend yourself--and that's not a joke.

- Victoria

Very true. I should strike that statement. I have been incredibly careful about what I've said and typed elsewhere. Giddiness made me momentarily foolish, and it will not happen again. Thank you.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
I know it is going to be touch on that level of financing.

Most definitely. During this leg of the journey, I'm casting about like mad for other sources.

For film, there are grants and deals that can only be made in different stages of production. Right now we're just heading into the land of preproduction. Then there's production and post-production (editing). Researching now for post production funds. We'll most likely be cutting while I work on the interviews, as that's going to be the longest leg of the journey.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Well, be sure to send a film crew to interview Victoria Strauss, Jim Macdonald, and yours truly.

We were all involved with the project, to varying degrees. I'm the one that "took responsibility" for it when PublishAmerica announced that people were going to prison for doing it.

I wonder if it will surprise anyone to know that I'm not typing from prison?

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

It will be an honor, truly.