e-pubs: The Future is Now

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Paper isn't made from "forests." It's made from trees grown for the purpose; fast growing "junk" trees, and from the same kinds of trees culled to allow other trees to thrive.

Not true. Southeast Alaska, home of the Tongass National Forest, either the first or second largest National Forest Preserve in the nation, is also home to a long-standing timber pulp industry, taken from native forests by clear-cutting. And it's not the only place in North America where that happens.

Further, re-planting trees does not re-establish a forest ecology. It just creates single-crop tree farms on the grave of the previous natural forest.

caw.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
for me, it's the Jungle Book.

:)
ME TOO! Mine is "First Jungle Book" by Scholastic. It's an abridged paperback meant for Junior High (what they now call Middle grades) 1960 edition. Although I've read the unabridged Jungle Book, there nothing like re-reading my old paper back. I have to be careful though, because the glue is getting old and the pages are starting to fall out, but I love it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For me it is "Elephant Buttons" -- which doesn even have any words but is still my favorite book. I have the same copy I "read" when I was two.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
Not true. Southeast Alaska, home of the Tongass National Forest, either the first or second largest National Forest Preserve in the nation, is also home to a long-standing timber pulp industry, taken from native forests by clear-cutting. And it's not the only place in North America where that happens.

Further, re-planting trees does not re-establish a forest ecology. It just creates single-crop tree farms on the grave of the previous natural forest.

caw.
Not according to this Federally funded study which mentions sawn wood and chipped wood (used for composite wood products like fiber board) but nothing about pulp for paper making.

"The entire focus of the industry will be the maximization of high quality and specialty lumber products."

Old growth forests are way to valuable to be pulped for paper.

And also this more recent report says that:

"the global demand for the region's wood could be seven times greater if two new low-grade wood fiber factories - producing fiber board or veneer - sprouted up in Southeast Alaska."

Regardless of your opinion of lumbering in Alaska, it's not for paper pulp.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
CyberCobre said:
You are at odds with just about every e org's research when it comes to eco-friendly and pulp and e-pub vs trad pub. {emphasis added}

The problem is with your source material. What is needed is impartial research, conducted by neither traditional publishers or e-publishers. The entity that pays for the research controls the slant.

CyberCobre said:
I'm tired of this, though, so go at it and keep on. Writers always have to have the last say, and, like most humans, aren't going to see until its way too late.

Are you not human as well? Are you so much better than the rest of us?

Cobre, as human individuals, no one here has said they are against the environment. What many have said is they recycle their books, pass them onto friends, donate them to used bookstores for others to find and enjoy, or store them in their homes. They are not throwing them in the landfill. What they have also said is they do sometimes throw their non-recyclable technology in the landfill.

As writers, we don't really care who publishes us. We just want to be heard. We want to be read. We want readers. Get the readers to enjoy curling up beneath their afghan on winter nights while the snow is falling softly outside with the screen of their e-book reader glowing softly in front of them instead of with a printed book and the writers and publishers will be right there, supplying them with what they crave in the format they desire.

It's not the writers or publishers you have to convince. We're not the ones you have to market e-books to. It's the reader.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
CyberCobre, you are a graphic artist. How is the production of your work in non-electronic form less wasteful than the production of books?

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tree farming isn't a new concept, but it's been a slow gradual procress to educate smaller mill operations. Having lived in Montana and part of the deep south, I've seen clear-cutting...most of which was conducted in demand for products other than paper. Companies that produce paper products genreally do not clear-cut except when timber rights are sold to them by property owners looking for a cost-effective means of preparing land for development.

Pulp mill processes are fond of pine, a highly renewable resource as evidenced by successful farming practices by International Paper, Weyerhaeuser, and Georgia Pacific to but name a few. Ever seen a pine plantation or looked into the harvesting/replanting process? It's an impressive model.

If someone wants to convince me of electronic format over paper, I'll need to see something other than the tired and worn "save the trees" argument.

In fact, given the availibility and improvement of non-traditional building materials, I wonder if electonic book proponents make the same outcry when a new home or store is built using wood products? Maybe. But I think not. By the way, has anyone checked into other fiber sources and noted the amounts of paper now being manufactured from cotton or other renewable sources? Might want to check.

By the way, I DO support the emergence of e-books. There are some very real benefits to the availability of books via the internet. I do not, however, feel the industry needs or benefits from "save the tree" campaigns. There are enough real merits without singing that old song.

BTW, it's generally the readers who have the last say. ;)

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think a good proportion of us actually are part of the e-revolution and are environmentalists. But in all my own crusades I find that accuracy is very important to reach beyond the 3% of impressionable, sensotove non-confomrists--people who don't eat meat, do donate blood for free, etc etc. Understanding of pull economies, exact knowledge fo the major paper sources and the true (often invisible) impact of the alternatives. Constructing an argument that includes a larger group of people and connects to their goals... e.g. pick the genres that sell well as e- and promote the format to then--it could be the thin edge of the wedge.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
You can't hug an e-book. You can't open an old e-book and smell it and have it smell the same way you did when you were 8 years old. You take an e-book to get signed by an author, all dogeared and dirty and have them know it's only that way because you love it so much.

Allow me to quote Mr. Koreander: "The video arcade is down the street. Here we just sell small rectangular objects. They're called books. They require a little effort on your part, and make no bee-bee-bee-bee-beeps. On your way please."

Anyways, all your eco-loving is moot. The world is going to blow itself to hell with nukes before we ever get to destroy it through lack of natural resources or trees.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Both my grandmothers won't even touch a computer out of fear of breaking it. We finally convinced one of them that you can turn on the lights in the same room as the computer and it won't break it.

One is 76 and the other will be 83. How will they be able to read my work as they are my largest supporters after my parents? Not to mention my is just now getting a handle on checking her email. But she has trouble downloading stuff.

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
Has anyone gotten hold of the new Sony reader? If the hype is true, it could be the first ebook reader that has a chance at making it. I have a Franklin reader, and it's way too small and dim to make reading an ebook anything but a chore.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
it works with pdfs and it doesnt use power once its displayed the texts and theres not glare so its very easy on the eye - i don't have one but i saw it at the sony stores and its nice and light and about the size of a small notepad

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Given that pdfs will not be formatted for this device I predict that only those bought form the sony store will be easily readable. Remember this is the company that only 2 yearsd ago had another "revolutionary" ebook called the librie where you could only buy access to books for 60 days and then they self-deleted. Expect problems with viewing *anything* not fromt he sony ebook store--inclusing amazon which will only be offering mobiformat, no pdf at all.

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
That's an incredible blunder on Sony's part then. But I heard predictions of them not seeing the big picture and blowing it months ago. Sounds like they have the technology mastered but haven't got a clue about the market.

In addition to those that read for pleasure, I could see the technology used for technical references. Design professionals and inspectors could have every code, standard and technical reference at their fingertips, even in the field. Installers and technicians could have service manuals for equipment and appliances with them at all times. I've watched technicians attempting to use laptops with satellite links try to download technical references. Sometimes it works. Having everything preloaded would eliminate a lot of problems and save a lot of money.

I've heard people say that Sony is famous for developing great technology but not understanding the market. Maybe this is another case. The list price is $349. That's also a steep price, especially if it doesn't display generic formats.

I found an interesting discussion about the Sony ereader at TeleRead here: http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=5571

In the end, the market will drive development and production. It's a shame it's taking so long!