something is causing... RAINBOWS!!!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
The sad thing is, we all probably know or have known somebody that would say something just like this. I once knew this girl who would make statements that would just leave me silently stunned.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Just one person Joyce. I think I meet ten or twelve of these people every day. I must be hanging out in the wrong gin mills.

Richard

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think she's lucky. Think of all the wonderment in store for her. Rainbows in the sprinklers is only the tip of the iceberg. The northern lights should give her fits.
Not to mention fireflies. Or . . . are they fireflies? They could be tiny aliens in little bitty spaceships.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, sure, we've all seen those lawns with burn holes in them. :ROFL:
See? Nobody understands when you should water your grass any more.

When you do water, water as early in the day as possible, usually when the grass and plants are already wet with dew. Watering later in the day when the sun is higher and temps are up can lead to evaporation of the water. Mid-day watering also leaves water droplets on the plants, which become small magnifying glasses that allow the sun's ray to burn or scorch the plants. That leads to a brown, scruffy looking lawn in spite of adequate watering. You can water later in the afternoon or early evening, but late night watering can lead to problems with disease since the water sits on the lawn longer.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
maybe if I start drinking what she's drinking, I might say to hell with rainbows too

Yep, she has that indignant tone so common in those who have pickled their brains with chronic alcoholism.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
During WWII the Japanese tried to put rainbows all along the west coast. Then when everyone was looking up they were going to attack. It would have worked but they couldn't get enough leprechauns to go along with the plan.

*(&^%$#^* leprechauns just can't trust them.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
WAIT!........What do you mean there were no rainbows twenty years ago? What the was i looking at then? Someone stop the madness!!!!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
See? Nobody understands when you should water your grass any more.
The evaporation part is absolutely true. Using a sprinkler in full sun means that you pay for a lot of water that just evaporates.

The droplet as magnifying glass thing is sheer nonsense; one of those myths (like 8 cups of water a day) that sounds good and has therefore made the rounds.

If you've ever used a magnifying glass to burn paper, you will recall that it has to be suspended above the paper to focus the sun's rays in the right spot. It also has to be convex on both sides. A droplet is essentially a half magnifying glass glued to the leaf. It's incapable of focusing the light to a pinprick.

Most credible gardening magazines and other expert sources will cheerfully debunk this one for you. Or you can do the experiment. Water a patch of grass at midday and check later for burn holes. You won't find any.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
The droplet as magnifying glass thing is sheer nonsense; one of those myths (like 8 cups of water a day) that sounds good and has therefore made the rounds.

If you've ever used a magnifying glass to burn paper, you will recall that it has to be suspended above the paper to focus the sun's rays in the right spot. It also has to be convex on both sides. A droplet is essentially a half magnifying glass glued to the leaf. It's incapable of focusing the light to a pinprick.

Most credible gardening magazines and other expert sources will cheerfully debunk this one for you. Or you can do the experiment. Water a patch of grass at midday and check later for burn holes. You won't find any.

What, no burn holes. Rainbows in water mist. You're shattering all my misconceptions that I firmly believed in. Next you're going to tell me we actually went to the moon in 1969

Richard

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I got that quote from an online gardening source.

And you experiment with your grass. I'm tired of having brown grass.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
'course brown lawn circles also come from female doggies. The neighbors'? Alien doggies? but doggies all the same.

:D

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I have never seen a rainbow when my dog wees.

:D

Scientists say that one must be lying prone on the grass adjacent to one's dog, looking up at just the right magical moment, in order to experience this phenomenon.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
They're also seeding the clouds! I saw a *rainbow* in the sky on my way to work last week!

*Grabs tinfoil hat*

(Actually, in all seriousness, I did see a rainbow a couple of Fridays ago on the way to work. Way cool.)

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a 360 degree full circle rainbow a couple of time while flying (in an airplane,SF). Way cool. I guess the experiment went wrong somehow.

Richard