What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started THE LAST BLUE ENVELOPE by Maureen Johnson. I like the voice of the MC but there are a number of errors in the English setting that keep throwing me out of the story (little things like art auction rooms being open on January 1st which is a bank holiday, the Doctor Who Christmas special being on in the early afternoon rather than the evening). It's enjoyable enough, even if the romance is completely telegraphed.

MM

itskrissy

Registered
Reaction score
I just got done reading DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver and the second book of the series as well. It was a good read, I would recommend it. Some parts of it are shallow though and I didn't like that part of it.

ladysarahii

Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, I'm reading PRETTY AMY. After I saw the author post something here, and the banner up above, I became intrigued. I love it so far.

tangelo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Finally started a few books I've been wanting to read for a while: The Gunslinger, Corrections and Survivor.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started THE LAST BLUE ENVELOPE by Maureen Johnson. I like the voice of the MC but there are a number of errors in the English setting that keep throwing me out of the story (little things like art auction rooms being open on January 1st which is a bank holiday, the Doctor Who Christmas special being on in the early afternoon rather than the evening). It's enjoyable enough, even if the romance is completely telegraphed.

MM

I started the first one, THIRTEEN LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES, and found the LI really annoying and pretty unrealistic, too - I'm sorry, but our UK boys do not go round wearing top hats, kilts and random assortments of clothing, or they'd get absolutely crucified. Almost every boy I know wears mainly Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, and a bit of Animal and Jack Wills. Especially the uni boys, like the one in TLBE.

LadyA

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading FURY by Elizabeth Miles. I think this is the one lots of people are slagging off, but I really like it. Chase and Em are very relatable characters, and everyone knows a Zach. I also love the mythology/the furies idea, mainly because I got a book of Greek myths on my eighth birthday and read it over and over.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Eon. There was a bit of it that really ticked me off, sigh, but except for that it was a really solid book. Still I wish that anything that happened in the book had surprised me.

Going straight into Eona.

Yeah, I remember being ticked off in a major way by a certain element. Something that happened near the end...involving a convenient healing, perhaps? If that's what you're talking about at any rate.

I really do love both those books, though. Just wish Eona didn't have such an...unfortuante...cover.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I'm reading it on Kindle. What's so unfortunate about the cover?

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty blatantly whitewashed. Granted, the physical descriptions in the book are vague, but I think it's natural to assume that the characters would look Asian. The girl on the cover of EONA is most decidedly not.

It's a pity, because I liked both of EON's covers a lot.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading FURY by Elizabeth Miles. I think this is the one lots of people are slagging off, but I really like it. Chase and Em are very relatable characters, and everyone knows a Zach. I also love the mythology/the furies idea, mainly because I got a book of Greek myths on my eighth birthday and read it over and over.

I got an ARC of the sequel but I haven't read the first book. After seeing this, maybe I will.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty blatantly whitewashed. Granted, the physical descriptions in the book are vague, but I think it's natural to assume that the characters would look Asian. The girl on the cover of EONA is most decidedly not.

It's a pity, because I liked both of EON's covers a lot.
That is a shame. Yeah, the characters are clearly Asian.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Finished Love Sucks by a certain AWer.

It's not normally the kind of book I read, but I enjoyed it, and it left me smiling, so probably a good thing I dip into sweeter reads every now and again.

I do feel really sad for You Know Who though. Like...ugh that is going to bug me. *sadface*

OKAY On to Eon.

(I'm also part-way through Anna Dressed in Blood, which is reading like Supernatural Fanfic (that's not an insult, I <3 Supernatural) but for some reason I've kinda lost interest. I'll Pick it up again later though, because I was enjoying.)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Eyes Like $tars. I don't know what to make of it this far: the dialogue is amazing, flawless and witty, but the rest feels like fancy for the sake of fancy, no structure, no sense, aimlessly capricious, just like MC. Who is kind of obnoxious. There's just one character I'm interested in--the wind spirit--and I'm sure he'll either end up as a villain or die tragically.

LadyA

Registered
Reaction score
Finished FURY. Hmmm. I thought it was really well done, and I was gripped in the last bit - I wouldn't let anyone talk to me until I finished it. But what kind of ruined it for me was how bleak the ending really was! To give us two characters, both very nice and who both don't really do anything that bad, and then to ruin any chance of one's happiness with their LI, and humiliate and kill the other - it left me feeling urgh for ages. I like bittersweet endings but there was practically no sweet in this one.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Almost finished with Eyes L1ke $tars, and, uh, you are going to be treated to a rant now because MC is the most annoying, childish, self-righteous girl prick I've read about this year. Basically the book goes like this (and it's no spoiler, you get this in the first few chapters):
Certain Character: You know, I kind of want to leave this place.
MC: But why?
Certain Character: I've been a slave here for eternity. Enough is enough. I don't even get free weekends.
MC: Pff, so what? I like it here, the food's great and I can make messes anywhere I please, so I won't help you leave and don't you dare do it on your own, because you leaving threatens my cute stable life.
Certain Character: I can't be a slave anymore, I'd rather cease to exist.
MC: Whatever, the author said I was in love with you but I honestly couldn't care less.
Certain Character: I'm leaving. And I'll free others, too, a lot of them also want to leave.
MC: Wut? No! How dare you. You have no right to want your freedom if it goes against my plans to display my awesomeness to the world. You evil, disgusting person, I want to kill you three times over. How dare you not to put my sacred wishes first and follow your stupid little whim instead.

I don't even. She comes off as a villain of the story, plain and simple. I wonder if that was a joke/trick on the author's part. But she never, ever asks herself: do they really want to be marionettes? Do they? Really really? She doesn't care, as long as she gets her carefree life back. I think we might be supposed to get angry at the unpleasant things some characters say about her, but the irony is that all of them ring true.

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I'm loving it. It's also a "probably not actually YA" but it's very accessible, incredible worldbuilding, and her dialogue is superb.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading 2 books atm: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, and The Selection by Kiera Cass. The first one is really good so far. As for The Selection... ugh. I mean, it's fun and breezy so far, but it's like Hunger Games-lite. Really shallow stuff! I think I might be biased, though, because I read about some of the shady business that Cass and her agent engaged in when they received less-than-stellar reviews on Goodreads....

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth - I'd heard great things about it and so far it lives up to it.

ElectricLights

Registered
Reaction score
Fallen In Love by Lauren Kate. Waiting on the forth book in the Hush, Hush series to come out in Octobera and I'm excited for it :Jump:

Status
Not open for further replies.