British Aid Worker David Haines Executed by ISIS

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
It's happened again.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/13/world/meast/isis-haines-family-message/

The ISIS video post showing Haines' beheading called his execution "a message to the allies of America."

It is produced very similarly to the videos that showed the executions of American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, the last of which included Haines and the threat that he'd be killed next.

The new video pictures a masked ISIS militant placing his hand on another captive, whom he identified as Alan Henning, a British citizen.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say that the only reason no responses to this thread have been made (until this one) is that there really isn't anything to be discussed about it that hasn't been said in the other threads about ISIS atrocities. It just isn't a debatable issue, for any civilized human beings.

caw

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, Blacbird. It's good that there is a thread; this isn't something to simply let pass unacknowledged. But there is no room for debate, here. Nothing to bat back and forth. The wrongness of this act is clear to every civilized human being on the planet.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking these ISIS/ISIL/IS/whoever folks are just begging to be nuked, at least figuratively if not literally.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
For me, bb said it. As painful as it is, short of any Special Forces intervention, they'll likely continue murdering the hostages they have until they run out, but their ability to elicit anything but disgust and renewed condemnation is waning. It has to be agonizing for the families of those held. :(
RIP, Mr. Haines :(

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I don't know what to say. I didn't even know which thread to put it in last night. RIP :(

It was also, unfortunately, expected. Just a matter of when :(

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
They're going to give themselves away in these videos. They're going to be found.

I'd rather they not be executed. I want them each alone in a cell with three small, bland meals a day shoved under the door and left to rot, forgotten and alone with their hideous memories.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
They're going to give themselves away in these videos. They're going to be found.

I'd rather they not be executed. I want them each alone in a cell with three small, bland meals a day shoved under the door and left to rot, forgotten and alone with their hideous memories.

Seconded.

I do wonder about how the first beheading sent shockwaves through our society, while the third barely gets coverage on the news. All that in two weeks time. Does this say anything about us?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The first was the first--that makes it more novel and so more newsworthy. the third still got heavy coverage including on TV as far as I saw, and speculation that it was a driver for the Obama strategy.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
IS are holding and threatening another British hostage. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29199700
Another aid worker who put their life on the line to help refugees, mainly Muslim, who will die because these people are savages who want to go back to the 8th century.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No - the more publicity it generates the more it encourages the act.

And I disagree the last act received 'barely' any news coverage.

Seconded.

I do wonder about how the first beheading sent shockwaves through our society, while the third barely gets coverage on the news. All that in two weeks time. Does this say anything about us?

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

I don't know about that.
1st off, I doubt they feel remorse or guilt. I highly doubt catching them and locking them up is going to change that.

Once in custody, they'll be allowed to pray, given 3 squares a day, allowed to exercise. They won't be dropped in a hole or sentenced to hard labor. Plus the possibility of escape exists.

So yeah, execution works for me. And the barbaric side of me wants it slow and painful.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Here's a question that nobody has asked. When they do run out of hostages, then what? I'm assuming that they'll kidnap more.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
No - the more publicity it generates the more it encourages the act.

And I disagree the last act received 'barely' any news coverage.

I should have said Dutch media coverage.

And I tend to agree with you. No need to advertise barbarity.

But another part of me wants to keep it front and center until these basterds are caught.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seconded.

If words could stop ISIS there wouldn't a member left. But words rarely stop fanatics. Deeds and only forceful deeds do.

What it says about us is the highly-developed sense of outrage human beings have for acts of senseless savagery is mitigated by our capacity to accept with resignation what we cannot change.

You can't compromise with barbarians. You have to crush them.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't know about that.
1st off, I doubt they feel remorse or guilt. I highly doubt catching them and locking them up is going to change that.

Once in custody, they'll be allowed to pray, given 3 squares a day, allowed to exercise. They won't be dropped in a hole or sentenced to hard labor. Plus the possibility of escape exists.

So yeah, execution works for me. And the barbaric side of me wants it slow and painful.

Feasibility aside (my way, as well as the long, slow, tortuous way) we all have our revenge fantasies. Mine's more of the solitary confinement, oubliette variety - and believe me, that's not out of any mercy or kindness. By all reports, it's truly horrible to be isolated without any frame of time reference or interaction.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Feasibility aside (my way, as well as the long, slow, tortuous way) we all have our revenge fantasies. Mine's more of the solitary confinement, oubliette variety - and believe me, that's not out of any mercy or kindness. By all reports, it's truly horrible to be isolated without any frame of time reference or interaction.

Can we add in a low buzzing sound that they can't tell what it is or where it's coming from but is constant and gets louder when asleep?